How to kill evil Luca ?

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Kasumi

How to kill evil Luca ?

Post by Kasumi »

Hello boys, I'm currently in a big trouble. I have to kill Luca Blight (which is not a trouble, basically I'm glad to do it !) but this evil monster is so strong... I cannot manage to kill him, even with three teams. His triple attack is always killing me.

At a moment I even thought it was normal and was a part of the scenario but it all ended with a game over. Do you have a method or at least some advises to kill him ?

For example, is it necessary to get rid of the soldiers around him, or should I better attack him directly all the time ?

Thanks !
Well, in the end I should have dated Tir before the end of the war...
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

The first two battles with Luca can be lost without any noticeable differences; the third battle is the only one that really matters. The only change is that (depending on whether you won or lost), Luca will have a different amount of hit points. Luca will have higher hit points if you lost the other battles, or Luca will have lower hit points if you won the battles.

General tactics concerning concerning Luca Blight have been covered in this thread: http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=507

Some of the good runes for this battle are as follows: Fire-sealing, Wall, Firefly (on someone with good DEF and MDEF), Earth/Mother Earth (protection mostly), Water/Flowing (healing), and Wind/Cyclone (healing and attack).

The balance rune can also come in handy if you decide to use any of the unites that unbalances one of its members (the Rival ATK (Valeria and Anita), comes to mind).

The Fire Emblem accessory can be invaluable since it provides 50% resistance to Luca Blight's fire attacks.

Although most of the statuses don't work on Luca, the Silence status does, which means no more fire attacks from him. Coupled with Humphrey with Firefly, this means that Luca will attack Humphrey every turn, dealing 3 damage each time he attacks. Poison can also deal pretty good damage to Luca, given time.

The combination spells are especially useful if you can pull them off.
Ginzo wrote:Fire + Lightning = Blazing Camp
Lighening + Water = Thor
Water + Wind= Water Dragon
Wind + Earth = (forgot its name)
Earth + Fire = Scorched Earth
I can't seem to find the descriptions for the spell combinations, but I'm sure someone else will be kind enough to enlighten us.
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

EASY WAY TO KILL HIM.
First!, each of your teams MUST have at least one mage with a Water Rune for party healing just about every turn.

Second, 3 people or more in your party with magic skill of 90+ (mainly people in the backrow) should have a Lightning Rune equipped if they have an extra Rune slot available or remove any Runes that can be removed and equip the Lightning Rune. Do NOT use Viki cause it will backfire.

When the battle begins, Cast the highest Lightning spell from everyone who has the Lightning Rune on Luca. DO NOT PHYSICALLY ATTACK HIM (cause you will miss and he will counterattack), attack the soldiers around if the person can't use magic or defned.
Heal your party with the Water Rune on the next turn.
Repeat the process until you win.

You can have an entire party with a Lightning Rune each. That's the fastest way to kill him.

You can physically attack him if you're the Hero or someone with a Very high Tech. But you NEED physical attack boost Runes like Fury or double beat to do any good amount damage. Unite attacks on a single enemy is the best way to physically attack him. But if that fails, just use my plan.

For Riou's party, it's basically Family attack, Battle Oath or Great Blessing, Family attack, oath or blessing,.... unless you have a balance Rune attached to Nanami, but you still need to heal your party.
Strategy is the key to victory!
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

Thank you very much ! I'll try to play this way. But I don't have recruited yet all these characters. I don't even know who is Riou. Or maybe I just forgot about him ?

I understand now why I had so much difficulties to fight him : I almost never use magic, I prefer physical attacks. I always play with characters such as Oulan (the good point with her is that she's almost invulnerable to physical attacks). I'll have to change my team but I hope it's not too late.

I'll give it a try and keep you advised. Thanks for your help anyway !
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Also, referring to Jowy's post, i'm pretty sure his fire sword attacks are Physical, so silence won't have any effect on the damage. Besides, you should not waste a turn doing any defense spells except healing.
You must respond to Luca's offensive with your magic offensive, no earth spells, no power boosts unless Battle Oath.

Luca is a phsyical fighter. Best way to kill physical fighters is to use magic. So Humprey might laugh at you if you do a melee attack on him, but you'll get his attention with a thunder bolt, hehe.

See this as his execution day. He's all set up on the electric chair, you're the one with the switch :D.
LillyXChris

Post by LillyXChris »

It's also possible to get 'Knockdown' status on Luca. Place a *Down on every party member's weapon so you increase the chance of unbalancing him. I did it and one of my party member's knocked him down (I think it was Clive, can't remember)

Remember, he has WICKED HIGH evasion. So spells and unites are your only hope at this moment.
Just think about it. Someone might be writing a Kingdom Hearts 2/Pretty Cure x-over right now. That someone is me.

Now playing POTC At World's End
Nozomi Yumehara and Darkside Dream... Miko (Princess) Yumehara
Sisters (Yes Precure 5/Precure X-over)
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

It has been confirmed that Luca's fire attacks are item-based, but for game-play reasons silence will stop him from doing anything besides his basic sword attack on one person.

The one main problem with Matilda's set-up (everyone constantly attacking Luca with *Lightning) is that it will still take quite some time for Luca to go down. Most spells (when cast on Luca) usually do less than half the normal damage, or somewhere around there. Depending on Luca's choices, the entire party could be wiped out before your strategy is even fully realized. Oulan's unqiue rune can be used an infinite amount of times with Berserk, so if you've got a *Fury that would prove to be invaluable when used in Oulan's other slot. Matilda's set-up could work, but if someone doesn't quite understand the mechanics of Suikoden II they'll do exactly what you said without taking the time to look at DEF, MDEF, SPD, TECH, and many other things that all eventually factor in to the Luca battle. More detail should be given than "cast lots of *Lightning spells, heal with *Water every turn." Running into the battle without even bothering to look at anything else besides runes could end up being catastrophic for the player.

Riou is the un-official name for the protagonist of Suikoden II.
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Well I doubt that Oulan will have the second rune slot open for the Fury rune when you fight Luca, it's possible. But Oulan's unique attack is still from a Rune nonetheless, hehe. So you still need unique attacks, unites, etc to successfully bring him down with physical attacks. You should equip armor and sharpen weapons, etc.

The Down rune knockdown strategy can also work too. We should have patents on how to kill Luca without losing a single party member, hehe.

Yes, the magic attacks will do less damage on Luca than normal, but it's far more damage than you will do with a normal physical attack considering if you can even hit him. The most effective magic attack against Luca is Lightning/Thunder since it's "strong vs. individuals". Don't care took much about the whitewovles, either you kill them while killing Luca or you win without killing them.

The magic stat bascially tells you the intensity of the magic damage you will do. So the higher the magic skill, the higher the intensity of the magic. For example, Luc's obsurd magic stat will let him do a ton of magic damage (taking out everyone in a random battle with Empty World). You will need to party heal most of the time since he attacks more than one person 2 out of 3 times. if only one person is critical, then use kindness drops. But you have to analyze the situation .
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

I'm trying it again just right now ! In the first round I made 1 882 damage points to Luca, and in the second round 785. It means that, now that I begin the third and final round, Luca has already lost 2 667 HP. But I don't know how much he has in total.

Now I begin the third roud. Wish me good luck !
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

oh my god I did it ! I did it !!!!

On the third round Luca lost 3 844 HP. I post there a little summary of the battle, it might be useful :

Round 1 - 1 882 HP
Round 2 - 785 HP
Sub-total Rounds 1 & 2 : 2 667 HP
Round 3 - 3 844 HP
----------------------
Total : 6 511 HP

I can deduce from this, that Luca has 6 500 HP in this battle.

I'm so so glad I did it !!
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Luca Blight having 6500 HP has been already pointed out in the Bestiary for suikoden 2. did you use my method to kill Luca blight?
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Oulan's second rune slot opens up on level 33. She SHOULD have it by the time of that fight. Most of my characters were over level 40 by the time I reached the Luca Blight battle, some of them because of the Matilda trick, but the others because of the natural course of the game.

I remember for my fight I didn't have many magic runes equipped, but I had Fury on Riou. He and Humphrey, and Nanami were doing most of the damage with my other characters healing and supporting.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

In fact in my third party I had Hero, Viki, Luc, Eilie, Oulan, Nanami. They were wearing several runes and it seems it was efficient. Especially thunder rune. But fire runes were also powerful enough. I think it was a good idea to put heal runes (wind and I don't remember the other ones) to both Eilie, Luc, and Hero. So I always managed to cure everyone while causing damages to Luca anyway.

You can't imagine how glad I am ! When I killed Luca, I turned on the ending music of Kill Bill vol.1 and began to parade in my flat, holding a brush as if it was a sword, under the amazed eyes of my husband and my children !

Now I am delighting myself with my final reward : I am recruiting the hero of suikoden I and I only brought Kasumi alone in order to see their special scenes and dialogues... After all I began playing Suikoden II only for this !
By the way, as I give the same name to my hero in Suiko I and Suiko II, the other characters are making comments such as "oh you wear the same names ! Maybe it's a common name for great people !"
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

you should not waste a turn doing any defense spells except healing.
Not all defensive spells are a waste. Revenge Earth is worth wasting (not really wasting, as it's useful) one person's turn, especially if you have a Firefly Rune.
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

As is Canopy Defense. That spell is invaluable during fights like Neclord and Beast Rune.
"I'd be happy to demonstrate its sharpness on your neck."