Konami trademarks Suikoden Tactics

Closed with the release.
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

I guess. I'd be more satisfied with a huge field of enemies, with insane combat and tactics.
Reinbach_III

Post by Reinbach_III »

If it does turn out to be a strategy game focusing on large scale battles, I would like to see it revolve around the Silverberg family. Perhaps it could cover several generations to bridge the 150 year gap from Suikoden 4 to the original Suikoden.
"Me, sir? I'm just a poor jujube vendor, with hungry kids waiting at home..." Scholtenheim Reinbach III
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

I pray to Allah that I see Albert Silverberg use his higher position and higher intellegence in this game. But then again, if it's like Fantasy Tactics and is a COMPLETELY different story that doesnt involve any of the events of the official story. (even though Final Fantasy never has an official story all together haha)
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

I think Suikoden Tactics won't be with SoD's but doing it this way is a great way to create a Non-genso and still be able to show a nation and a war.
YuberClone

Post by YuberClone »

My experiences with the Castlevania series over the years has convinced me that Konami is one of the best game-developers when it comes to reinventing their own games.
this is a good point. Konami is good for that. Konami resurrected/reinvented Metal gear also.

I"m very interested to see Suikoden Tactics. Suiko4 didn't bother me as much as it has others, as i recognized when i joined this forum. Since i did play it I have been really hungry for a new Suikoden Game. I liked that there were Voice actors. And as I am replaying S3, i wish they had used them there too. The Drama Theater, which i found very entertaining, would have been that much better if it were voiced acted. I was disappointed when that wasn't one of extras. As i was disappointed when there still wasn't another cooking game.

The biggest difference in Suiko Tactics for me will probably be what mini-games they do and easter eggs they include. I like having voice overs, often when i play Suikoden i'm trying to evade sleep (as free time is limited for me now) and the having to read a lot of dialogue will not help this end. But i didn't like how spotty the voice overs were. if you're going to use them, use them. Not some of the time there are voice overs and some of the time there isn't.

ultimately, i've been content with all the suikodens and want more. Suiko Tactics (or Suiko 5) would have to be botched pretty badly to really disappoint me.
Suiko4, wasn't the best in the series, but other franchises have done worse. Remember Final Fantasy Mystic Quest??
phoenixxx

Post by phoenixxx »

I would be very excided to se suikoden games and characters in Tactics game. Like fft was a great game i hope they will pull up this to be a hit...I wander how would it look like...imagine yourself as a part of Silverburg family and take control over 108 characters (maby even normal soldiers) imagine plot twists and secrets that would reveal. All the characters....weapons...new true runes....
Hassie

Post by Hassie »

Shirofan wrote:The quote shows it to be patented, or at least pending patent, as it lists the reference marks and relevant details.

The issue is whether or not Konami are trademarking the name as a potential project; or one that is well in development.

Games companies like many others do patent names for ideas that do not come to fruition, or change name partway through the development cycle. Square-Enix are the most obvious example of a company that trademarks plenty but doesn't end up using the majority of names they patent.

However, it does mean that Konami have shown at least their intentions to release a game with such a title at some point, even if that plan is not later realised.
I have some obvious problems with what you said here. YES Squaresoft, and more recently square-enix has done a lot of patenting on things that never turned into games, but what does that have to do with the price of tea in china? First S-E patents names that could possibly be taken, for example Kingdom Hearts. NO ONE, and i mean NO ONE, is going to try and steal Final Fantasy XII as a name for a game. So when they patent the name, YOU KNOW they are going to be releasing it. Same with Suikoden Tactics. In America, which is all this patent applies to, and nothing more, no other company would dream of infringing on the copy right of Konami and Suikoden. It would be a field day for Konami's lawyers to pick away at whoever would be stupid enough to do it. Games that are in a long series such as this, only get names patented when they are more than likely going to be released. Koei, Konami, S-E, and to a lesser extent Sony, know the titles people would no bother trying to make a game from, because of law suits. Sorry, but your theory is not well founded. Had they got a patent for Fen Ron, the game about a flying squirrel, i would say maybe it wont happen...
Shirofan

Post by Shirofan »

I was at the time trying to quell the surge of posts that were tending to assume that the game was definitely in development; and obliquely referencing the most famous wrong assumption by people who watched copyright applications: that of Square and Chrono Break.

The issue was never about anyone else trying to file a similar copyright name in order to possibly get some free sales based on shopper confusion; more that games companies like many others copyright potential names, rather than ones guaranteed to be used.

Many projects either never get off the ground, are cancelled part way through or have a change of name along the way; but before anything can be released to the media, even just rumours then the potential name would be copyrighted to prevent anyone from trying to make a fask buck stealing it by putting in the application first.
What is the difference between PAL and NTSC? Why do some games take ages to get a PAL conversion, or get none whatsoever?
Find the answers and more at http://www.palcorner.com or ask at the forums.
Blue Thunder

Post by Blue Thunder »

And now it has been coinfirmed...there will be a Suikoden Tactics. Or at least something like it. With a very likely NTSC release.
~Blue Thunder~
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Those are just scans from a magazine. Konami hasn't confirmed anything, so there's no way to tell if the scan is true or not.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arenegeth

Post by Arenegeth »

Jowy Atreides wrote:Those are just scans from a magazine. Konami hasn't confirmed anything,
so there's no way to tell if the scan is true or not.
Come on Jowy, you know I'm all for confirmations, but this isn't in-game, the game is certain and it will be confirmed soon enough.

That couldn’t be fake anyway; if that is fake then I have just become a GOD!!

Sorry I’m losing it today, but if by any chance this is fake, then there will be blood.

But I’m never absolute I keep my mind open, actually I don’t even believe that III is real yet, though I played the game up to the point that Furbar or whatever saves you and you run out, but I wont until I get it on my hands. (That was a copy a friend had)
”I am ye who walks his own path and thus I walk alone”
~Arenegeth~
Hassie

Post by Hassie »

Well i guess instead of comparing apples to oranges, saying what Squaresoft did back in the day and blah blah blah, let's compare what Konami has done with, not any of their games, but Suikoden itself. Well I'm not sure if all of you know this, but Konami no longer has the name Suikoden copyrighted. As of March 31 of this year, the patent was cancelled. Well that isnt really the point, but what is, is that when Konami applied for the original copyright trademark for that name, in the USA, it was July, 1996. We all know that Suikoden came out in the USA, in December of that same year. If we look at that, we could say about a 5.5 month wait after the trademark was applied for.

Now i find it weird that they would cancel their trademark for the name, unless they dont plan on making any more games in the series, or perhaps unbeknownst to me, the trademark expired, or they neeglected to renew it, because they hadn't planned on making another game in the series for awhile.

Well i know, many people are going to say this information means nothing, but to me, it means a LOT more than what square soft did, or what Koei did, or what microsoft may do 13 years from now. It gives us something to look for anyhow.

I would also like to mention that the game was already under development when that patent was applied for in 1996, and in the public eye, where if there is a tactics in development, it is not readily known, not to mention some companies more recently are taking their sweet time with games.
Hassie

Post by Hassie »

On the other hand, they applied for about 7 copyrights in a small window around suikoden tactics....some of the games i have heard of, some not....
Arenegeth

Post by Arenegeth »

I really don't know what to say to that, I would like a conformation first because that is actually big news in another way.

What way?

Well basically it signifies that future Suikoden games won't get released in the US or Europe but only in Japan and that makes me furious and angry. :evil:

If that is true of course or if indeed stays that way. :)
”I am ye who walks his own path and thus I walk alone”
~Arenegeth~
Hassie

Post by Hassie »

Arenegeth wrote:I really don't know what to say to that, I would like a conformation first because that is actually big news in another way.

What way?

Well basically it signifies that future Suikoden games won't get released in the US or Europe but only in Japan and that makes me furious and angry. :evil:

If that is true of course or if indeed stays that way. :)
I'm not entirely sure exactly what confirmation you need. It's not like the information isnt public access. I merely went to the patent office site, and looked up suikoden, it says that the copyright was cancelled on march 31, 2005. If you want, go check it out for yourself....