Konami trademarks Suikoden Tactics

Closed with the release.
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

I don't see what is so wrong about Suikoden IV? I really liked it a lot. The only downpart was the cheap Rune spells...
Genso

Post by Genso »

It's ironic how Suikoden IV was made by rather veteran employees of Konami and yet people regard them to be ammateurs or incompetent just because of their personal opinion of Suikoden IV.

Being at a Suikoden board, you would think that most would be more understanding of the concept of how a game can be good without having stellar critical rave or sales. Some comments by so called "Suikoden fans" really puzzle me sometimes when Suikoden I and II both are considered just cult hits.

Instead of continuing the off topic discussion of how Suikoden IV sucked blah blah blah, why don't we discuss more about what we might expect in this possible tactical game.

Apparently there is already a Suikoden strategy game made by Koei for PS, Sega Saturn, and Famicon. Has anyone played any of those?
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

Exactly. I am tired of all these people b*tching and complaining about how bad Suikoden IV was (which was not bad at all), guess what? You didnt have to play it for crying out loud. Your fortunate that they even made IV a release, I give applause to the effort of the veterans of Konami, I liked the graphics, the sprint button and the battles at sea was a really cool idea.
Sasarai is cute

Post by Sasarai is cute »

Well, I did say that Konami is an amazing games-developer and I did say that they have had very sharp ups and downs. Something they have even admitted themselves and explained as "different teams have been involved with different games in the same series".

Why even play the games you don't like, you ask? Well, how would I know if I like them or not if I haven't played them at least once?
I hate to say this but experienced press-critics are usually very accurate, not in determining the different tastes of gamers, but in determining the overall quality of the game.
I know Suikoden 1 and 2 wasn't considered as super-innovative when they came. Suikoden 2 didn't get all that good reviews either. This was mainly because of it's old fashioned graphics however. In Suikoden 4 the graphics are more or less up to date.

As for "Suikoden Tactics", to me just the name implies something nice. My intuition tells me that this game is going to be great if it's actually made.
Those who fear dying deserves death.
himurokoken

Post by himurokoken »

I'm not that into SRPG's but I think that what we got in the Suikoden major battles really really enticed me. I like SRPG's but I was never really good at them, I guess that's why I never really get into them. But for some reason, if they made a Suikoden Tactics I think that is one srpg I would really try to practice to get good at. I don't know why.

I think the possibilities of Suikoden Tactical rpg would be excellent. I really hope this isn't a fluke and Konami is really, truly working on this. It would be a good breather for them so they can pass around more idea's to make Suikoden V very very good.

@ Genso - I would like to know where you got that Nanami avatar. Are there more Suiko avatars with that style you've seen around the net?
Blue Thunder

Post by Blue Thunder »

It's impossible to talk about Suikoden 5 without talking about Suikoden 4.

Thats because so many people hated the game. Konami kind of "dropped the ball" with Suikoden 3. It was a good game IMO, but there were many obvious faults and mistakes. Fans were hoping Suikoden 4 could pick things back up again and fix the mistakes of Suikoden 3. But instead, many fans felt like Suikoden 4 was a peice of crap, that took everything the series has learned and built up and gained for 10 years and completely ignored it. They felt the game was unfinished, rushed, not given any amount of detail, it had bland characters, no emotion whatsoever, very few lplaces to visit, and many other problems.

Knowing that most fans feel this way, how can they NOT think of Suikoden 4 when thinking of an upcoming Suikoden 5? I for one am hoping a Suikoden 5 picks up right after Suikoden 3 where Suikoden 4 should have, and that it distances itself from the folly of Suikoden 4 as much as possible.
~Blue Thunder~
Sasarai is cute

Post by Sasarai is cute »

Well said Blue Thunder. You speak for many with those accurate words.
Those who fear dying deserves death.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

I don't think Suikoden IV's flaws have much to do with a possible tactics game. If this was a topic about the next mainstream standard RPG (Suikoden 5), then I would understand your complaints. Your comments about SIV in relation to a SRPG about Suikoden would be the same as bashing Suikoden II before the Suikogaidens or the Card Stories were released. The delivery of SIV may have been terrible, but the way SRPGs develop the plot is entirely different than how a regular RPG would. Same with the battle system, and most other things when comparing SRPGs and standard RPGs. Until Konami releases a Suikoden strategy game and fails (in your opinion), then bashing one game to help further a thread about a completely different type of game is pointless.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arenegeth

Post by Arenegeth »

Ok I think is about time I made my thoughts on Suikoden IV clear.

Suikoden IV was disappointing it wasn't crap as you mentioned it was a big disappointment, especially for someone like me that hasn't played III and was hungry for another Suikoden, I remember the heart attack I almost gave to one of the neighbors, when I first saw that a Suikoden IV was made, I suddenly screamed and it was probably heard two street blocks away.
That was followed by another scream when I found out that it was going to be released in Europe (yes the neighbor avoided the heart attack this time as well).
And I remember retaking Obel, and I think to my self what a wond.. eh I mean this is the middle of the game right...

But it wasn't that bad it was a big disappointment, I really don't think that people who say that they liked Suikoden IV are objective.

The game as a whole was a disappointment but certain things about it I liked.

So please don't say it was good and don't say it was crap, it was simply (wait for it) disappointing.
”I am ye who walks his own path and thus I walk alone”
~Arenegeth~
himurokoken

Post by himurokoken »

Jowy Atreides wrote:I don't think Suikoden IV's flaws have much to do with a possible tactics game. If this was a topic about the next mainstream standard RPG (Suikoden 5), then I would understand your complaints. Your comments about SIV in relation to a SRPG about Suikoden would be the same as bashing Suikoden II before the Suikogaidens or the Card Stories were released. The delivery of SIV may have been terrible, but the way SRPGs develop the plot is entirely different than how a regular RPG would. Same with the battle system, and most other things when comparing SRPGs and standard RPGs. Until Konami releases a Suikoden strategy game and fails (in your opinion), then bashing one game to help further a thread about a completely different type of game is pointless.
Pretty much on point right here. That's like bringing up the Final Fantasy main series when talking about Final Fantasy Tactics games. They're like so completely different.
Blue Thunder

Post by Blue Thunder »

Um...are you forgetting that everything in the Suikoden series is connected? I'm not just referring to the gameplay of S4 here. It was the story of S4 that also bothered people. One thing that is always constant in the series is the plot. The games are all connected together and the events of each game DO affect all of the other games in some way. If Suikoden Tactics is not a remake of an older Suikoden title, then it must have a storyline that connects with the other games. And since many didn't like the writing style or events of S4, they would be worried about ANY future titles in the series, a "Tactics" game or otherwise.
~Blue Thunder~
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Who's to say that "Suikoden Tactics" is based off of Suikoden IV? Even if it was, the plot would be developed differently. I think if a standard RPG were to be re-made as a strategy RPG it would come off as a completely different game, even though it is the exact same title. Anyone who has played a strategy RPG would know that they're just plain different than standard RPGs. Plot is a constant, but we have not seen how Konami would implement Suikoden into a tactical title. Until then, you can't say "this game will not be good because this other game was not that good," because there is nothing to compare to. Arenegeth's example was splendid. You couldn't have said "FFT will suck, because 7 sucked," because the games are not related. Gameplay, plot, whatever, you simply cannot compare a strategy RPG to a normal one. They are just two completely different types of games.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
revolution is my name

Post by revolution is my name »

Very Interesting to say the least. And let's hope it's for a portable consloe (The Ds for e.g as somebody already suggested). If it truly is underway let's hope it's something fresh and not just a FFT ripoff or a collection of all the tactis elements from the previous games.

Maybe the vocie-over-from-japanese-actor-blog-debacle is in some way conected to this? The perhaps it isn't for a portable format or the next gen consoles?
Flame Champion

Post by Flame Champion »

*Pictures something like Final Fantasy Tactics with tons of suikoden characters and the like

*drool
tmxdragoon

Post by tmxdragoon »

Sasarai is cute wrote:"Suikoden Tactics" would seem like a natural spin-off to the Suikoden series. I've been dreaming of such a game for a long time. One of the most enjoyable parts of the first three Suikoden games was the major army battles but they always ended too quickly.
In Suikoden 2 especially, I used to try to prolong them for as long as possible, just because I loved moving the units and reading the comments when you succeded in getting a "critical" hit or something.

Imagine Suikoden Tactics. It would have room for all of these elements, some sort of rock scissor paper combat or duels, huge army battles, S3-style skirmish battles etc.

I hope they do make this game. I would welcome it with open arms.
I want the same thing you want, I would love a game with the army battles, especially suiko 2 army battles.