Why is some of the soundtrack of Suikoden II is in Italian

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
weird_name_lah

Why is some of the soundtrack of Suikoden II is in Italian

Post by weird_name_lah »

I don't get this, especially the Orrizonte album. Also I realize there are a lot of Suikoden II fansites in Italian...

Btw, sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I don't know where else to put it...
KoyuRedd

Post by KoyuRedd »

I think they seemed to make more sense in Italian.

Orrizonte is "Horizon". Some people see the word "Horizon" as "not powerful enough", and other languages tend to get used to give some more power.

"La Passione Commuove La Storia" means "Passion moves the History" or "Passion affects History". Many people prefer it to be in foreign languages.

Take my signature for example. I could have just used "Through the spirit of the keeper, behold the truth." But that would have been too long and... weak. Instead I used "ULTRA VIGILIS UMBRAM, ECCE VERITAS".

Did I just complicate things?
[evil laugh here]
weird_name_lah

Post by weird_name_lah »

Ow okay... But why Italian?
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Because they felt like using Italian.
weird_name_lah

Post by weird_name_lah »

Hey come on... Konami won't just choose any foreign language just because they felt like it... Wouldn't it be possible that the story or the composer of the song or the staff member of Suikoden II have connections to Italian background or something? For all you know, it is possible that Suikoden II story (not the 108 stars part) is part of Italian history (just assuming).
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Konami borrows from all sorts of cultures (including their languages) to make up the Suikoden series. There isn't an answer like "since so-and-so with Konami is Italian, they decided to use Italian."

http://www.suikox.com/sound/

There's a fairly good list of what languages they borrowed from to make their character and weapon names. Obviously enough, they like some diversity in their RPG series.

Suikoden's story is loosely based off of Shui Hu Zhuan, which is Chinese in
origin.
weird_name_lah

Post by weird_name_lah »

I know how wide and varied the influence on Suikoden world is... I read the whole story of Water Margin by the way... It's just that I have this feeling that there is a stronger connection than just mere attempt to diversify...

But anyway, thanx... I forgot about Suikoden III that a lot of the weapon names there is of other languages. Well actually part of me is still thinking that these weapons may be named based on the different origins of Sui III characters while the soundtrack is Italian without any reason. But I agree with you now that Konami simply wants to diversify Suikoden world to be filled with different cultures.
KoyuRedd

Post by KoyuRedd »

Ah, and Suikoden II has A LOT of Italian history in it. I'll edit this as soon as I'm sure about which years it emulates.
Last edited by KoyuRedd on Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
[evil laugh here]
Flame_champz

Post by Flame_champz »

Italian history i would sure like to hear what history suikoden has thats italian in it be sure to get back to us on that one
http://s10.invisionfree.com/Castle_Nort ... hp?act=idx - New RP but will be great if you join (Suikoden RP)
KoyuRedd

Post by KoyuRedd »

Alright! I've found some!

The Italian Unification (1870's)
The last part of the game is exactly the same as what happened back then.

Giuseppe Garibaldi
Luca's progression in the conquest of lands. If you look at the map from the right hand side, making that the south, you're surely notice he moves north.

Young Italy
Mostly the Liberation army in SI. Also, it's almost the same as Muse. It failed a few weeks after it started. Oh, this was also a secret organisation!

Giuseppe Mazzini
Consider him to be Young Italy's Strategist. He was as brilliant as Shu, and wore black. Nothing more, no less.

Continental System
Napoleon used a treaty to damage Britian economically so it would have less food. It failed miserably. This was used by Jowy in Greenhill, without the papers and all. His plan worked better.
[evil laugh here]