Hugo's Father

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Red Killey
Elite Member

Re: Heh...

Post by Red Killey »

Anamanaguchi wrote:He (Shin) may have "shown" to be in love with Teresa in the game, but this isn't known for sure. Unless there is something that was included in the SuikoGaiden series that I wasn't aware of...
How is it not known for sure? His actions are more than enough to show his love.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
jonathan_priest

Well...

Post by jonathan_priest »

Regardless of whether or not he was in love with Teresa is a matter of secondary importance. After all, he left after the end of SII and never returned. So that doesn't discount that he could be Hugo's father. Besides, from my impressions, Shin was a man who wanted to protect people...maybe he felt Teresa had become strong enough to no longer need his protection but maybe Lucia's moment of weakness...hmm... Anyway, I never said I actually believed my own hypothesis, simply that it could be true. Bottom line though, in SIII, Hugo is 15, which is the same number of years after the Dunan Unification War. So, he would have to have been born before the war ended (which I don't think since it's never mentioned) or within a year after the war to get him to be the same age, which doesn't leave much time for courtship (3 months max) And I don't think Lucia is the type to have a boyfriend while she was in the war...she seemed too interested in proving herself. So, that would mean the soldier was someone she met during the war and would have had to get to know and respect enough to care for. We never see much of the Highland side to see who she interacts with but hell...it could be Hans Cunningham for all we know. Waitaminute, that could actually have happened.

But there are all sorts of questions like that. Who was Shanon's father? It's assumed that Meg is Belle's mother but who's her father? All sorts of things like that with unresolved mysteries. It's probably one of those things that will never be answered, much like why Georg killed the Queen of Faleena and stuff like that. Too bad too, it'd be nice if Kidd actually gave some useful information like Richmond. Oh well.
"It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...what matters is the glass."
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

I think part of the reason so many people love the Suikoden series is because there is so much left for the gamers to wonder about. If the creators told us every secret and background of every character, it wouldnt be that exciting. Frankly, I don't care if we ever find out who Hugo's father is because it doesnt change the game at all. It could have been a bum on the street that just so happened to have the same sick fetish as Lucia and turned her on. (Pretending she has one.) If this really were true it doesnt change the game at all.

P.S. (I personally like my theory the best.)
"I'd be happy to demonstrate its sharpness on your neck."
the_green_lamp

Post by the_green_lamp »

nuSeed wrote:I think part of the reason so many people love the Suikoden series is because there is so much left for the gamers to wonder about.

Yes, I agree with you very much. That is probably the sole reason I choose Suikoden as my favorite over so many other wonderful RPGs. The only thing I would have to agrue would be that maybe if we DID know about Hugo's father, it would make an awesome side-story game about Lucia. But thats just my speculation. Maybe even a Suikogaiden about the side-story thats ACTUALLY realeased for us here in the states lol. But that wuld probably be the only reason i'd want to know who his father was.
"In brightest day, In blackest night ,no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evils might, beware my power green lanterns light!"
-Oath of Hal Jordan, Champion of Oa, GL
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

Red Killey wrote:
Anamanaguchi wrote:He (Shin) may have "shown" to be in love with Teresa in the game, but this isn't known for sure. Unless there is something that was included in the SuikoGaiden series that I wasn't aware of...
How is it not known for sure? His actions are more than enough to show his love.
But.. she is a lady, and an important one. I am sure that Viktor, Flik or even Riou would have done the same to defend her.. I really don't see in what way would that imply that they are in love with Teresa.
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

Anamanaguchi wrote:But.. she is a lady, and an important one. I am sure that Viktor, Flik or even Riou would have done the same to defend her.. I really don't see in what way would that imply that they are in love with Teresa.
Keep in mind that Shin said that his loyalty lies to Teresa, and not the Wisemail House. That showed enough that he had a thing for her. Richmond's report on Teresa said "Everyone knows that she's really in love with Shin, but they're both so damned stubborn." Though it only said that she loves him and not the other way around, the part about both of them being stubborn showed that they both couldn't really let out their true feelings about each other because they're not the kind of people who are like that.
jonathan_priest wrote:Anyway, I never said I actually believed my own hypothesis, simply that it could be true.
Then what's the point of showing your theory if you, yourself, don't believe in it? Hey, it's also possible that Pesmerga is Hugo's father you know.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Red Killey wrote: Then what's the point of showing your theory if you, yourself, don't believe in it? Hey, it's also possible that Pesmerga is Hugo's father you know.
Hey, watch it, RK. The next thing you know, people are going to start believing that.

The reason I don't think that Hugo's father is anyone already established in the games is because of what everyone's been talking about... the fact that it's nice to have a little mystery once in awhile. I think the creators wanted us to speculate, but I doubt there's a definitive answer, and I doubt there ever will be one unless Hugo and co. pop up in a new game.
Purr.
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

Pollensalta wrote:The reason I don't think that Hugo's father is anyone already established in the games is because of what everyone's been talking about... the fact that it's nice to have a little mystery once in awhile. I think the creators wanted us to speculate, but I doubt there's a definitive answer, and I doubt there ever will be one unless Hugo and co. pop up in a new game.
I actually thought that Konami purposely didn't say who it is not because they want us to speculate but because they don't want to "disappoint" us with Hugo's father being a "nobody" (as in not someone we know already). I just think that if it's somebody we know (may it be Shin, Riou, Pesmerga, Georg, Shu, Han, Luca, all known guys with black hair), then it would be more beneficial for Konami to release the name. Suikoden series is supposed to be quite deep, and such information on the identity of Hugo's father would add the "connection" between characters in the series. Since Konami avoided in giving out the identity of Hugo's father, I simply thought that it's a nobody.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

Am I wrong, but how do we know Shin has black hair? All the images I've seen of him shows that his hair is covered by a yellow turbin. Where is the fact that he has black hair coming from? Just hoping to be enlightened.
True Wind Bearer

Post by True Wind Bearer »

From what I know, it is not confirmed that Shin has black hair underneath his turban. SARSadmin may give you an official answer to this.

Overall, from what I've read, I think that Shin and Lucia fell in love during the negotiations with Greenhill and the Karaya, thus leading to Hugo.
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

True Wind Bearer wrote:Overall, from what I've read, I think that Shin and Lucia fell in love during the negotiations with Greenhill and the Karaya, thus leading to Hugo.
Which negotiation between Greenhill and Karaya?
True Wind Bearer

Red Killey wrote:Which negotiation between Greenhill and Karaya?
Er...umm....good question! :P The negotiations that Teresa talked about with Lucia when you fought her in Greenhill as well as L'Renouille? It says in Teresa's "fate" "Became mayor of Greenhill and made peace with Karaya."
Surely when it says made peace with Karaya, there were some negotiations involved? Maybe, maybe not.
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

True Wind Bearer wrote:
Red Killey wrote:Which negotiation between Greenhill and Karaya?
Er...umm....good question! :P The negotiations that Teresa talked about with Lucia when you fought her in Greenhill as well as L'Renouille? It says in Teresa's "fate" "Became mayor of Greenhill and made peace with Karaya."
Surely when it says made peace with Karaya, there were some negotiations involved? Maybe, maybe not.
But didn't Shin leave immediately after the end of Dunan Unification War? That would mean that Shin didn't accompany Teresa to the negotiation (if one ever occurred).
True Wind Bearer

Eh, Red Killey, I guess you're right.
jonathan_priest

Post by jonathan_priest »

Then what's the point of showing your theory if you, yourself, don't believe in it? Hey, it's also possible that Pesmerga is Hugo's father you know.[/quote]

The reason I'm not too up on the "theory" of the Shin being Hugo's father I brought up was because in order to develop a sound and probable theory, you have to have at least some shred of proof. Everything we have is nothing more than a guess since it was only mentioned that Hugo's father was brave and Lucia referred to him in the past tense. As that is the case, anything we say is mere speculation. I just threw that idea out to see if anyone had any more suggestions or evidence that might back it up. Sorry if I spoke out of turn Red Killey.

As for the color of Shin's hair, I think he has blond eyebrowns, but I could be wrong.
"It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...what matters is the glass."