Rune of punishement and immortality

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

Captain Glen poured his soul into the attack which anihilated all of those fleets attacking Razril. He knew it would consume his life and that's why he told no one to come to the top of the tower. I don't really think it had anything to do with the Rune of Punishment wanting to kill him off quickly, but Glen pouring his complete soul into one massive attack.

There are theories that the Hero was protected from the Rune of Punishment's powers by one of the previous bearers, the Queen and supposedly the Hero's mother. That theory has merit, as previous bearers can attain some degree of control on a True Rune, but we cannot be certain. It could have been the Rune of Punishment's choice, but that would sort of contradict the nature of the Rune of Punishment and the fact that the Hero can possibly die.

The nature of the Rune of Punishment is to consume its bearer and then move onto another and repeat the process while in its Atonement phase. I don't think the Rune of Punishment was looking for someone to change that desire. The Hero was suppose to be just another unfortunate victim of the Rune of Punishment's curse, but fate, destiny and his efforts reversed the normal desire of the Rune of Punishment.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Or perhaps the RoP only drains your life away until it finds a suitable bearer? I doubt a True Rune's only purpose would be to just run around the world and just drain the life out of every person that bears it. Seems like it was just looking for that special someone.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Full moon

Post by Full moon »

I think that the rune found that special someone in the hero, but could not fully give itself to him until the hero had proven himself with a trial such as collecting the 108 stars. As i said before, i believe that once the rune chooses if its bearer is worthy of its power, it acts just like any other true rune.
Joev

Post by Joev »

In my opinion, the RoP chose the hero. The rune was draining the life of the hero until the rune saw the 108 stars of destiny that is supporting the hero. Brandaeu died because he let no one get near to him... Just like what Kika said. All the previous bearer didn't want anyone get near to them because they are aware that if the rune consume their life it will transfer to another host... But only the hero surrounds himself with the SoD...
Blackhand jr

Post by Blackhand jr »

Perhaps the RoP can't be choosy like other true runes. It's method of transporation is clinging to the closest person. It'll do this intill it finds the bearer it wants. Since most true runes go back to somewhere once there bearer died. The RoP satyed put when it's last bearer died after all.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

The hero was protected by his mother inside the rune. That is why he didn't die as fast as others who used the rune.
czartiffac

Post by czartiffac »

Maybe the creator of Suikoden 4 just wants to state that "No Man is an Island" with the Rune of Punishment, no matter how powerful you are you amount to nothing when you don't have anyone to care/love about you.
LunasMeow

Post by LunasMeow »

Well, remeber the rune only drained life when you used it in battle or in an event in the game. Also Glen was suffering, but he was also dealing with the memories inside the Rune if I remember right. Perhaps the memories he recieved were more detailed than the ones that the hero did and he couldn't handle the strain mentally causing him to be physically sick since the mind controls the body afterall. As we see quite often when stress makes people get grey hair and wrinkled skin all signs of aging and it has been peoven that signs of aging is only our body being unable to heal itself competely, only partially and our body losing that ability over time. Which, would explain how the bearers of True Runes grant agelessness but not immortality. They just have a better healing system because their body gets power by being a holder of the rune. Which would explain why the rune was 'draining' Glen when he recieved it. Even though he hadn't used it.
Wotanmetal

Post by Wotanmetal »

At the end of the game the RoP stopped draining life from Hero IV, before that Leeknat said the time of forgivness had begun... Maybe Hero IV was the first one to reach that "TIME"... Maybe the rune was looking for someone capable to control the RoP powers...Because Leeknat also mentiones something about Hero IV stopping the rune from harvesting more lives. I cant remember the exact words sorry. Then he sails away at the end in the small boat... Maybe all his "friends" were afraid of being the next RoP bearer but... Probably hes still alive in Suiko III but we dont know anything about him, maybe hes hiding just like Ted did.
Moonbay

Post by Moonbay »

You know, I just realized something, and I wonder if this had anything to do with Glen being chosen:

He was awake!

If you remember--the Hero was out cold when the Rune left Brandeau--so maybe the Rune went for the next thing moving--which was Glen.

And the Rune was communicating with Glen:

"Who are you? What do you want?"
Wotanmetal

Post by Wotanmetal »

Well i like to think the rune chose Glen first cause Lazlo´s mother didnt wanted him to carry such a burden...Maybe that's why the rune didn´t killed Lazlo when Brandeu used it.... dunno dude I'm a lil confused here...I like to think Lazlo is Lino's son, but i dont know if that info is confirmed.... I'll like to know why Brandeu didnt turn Lazlo to ashes....wait a min...Konami better explain how the ship went without a sracth after de RoP was used by our pirate friend....My brain hurts lol....
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

Umm could the mysterious person speaking to Glen with the RoP in his bed, be Leknaat by chance?

Hehe
Leknaat: wait, what are you doing with this Rune? oh well, enjoy you life while it lasts... see y.a!
Strategy is the key to victory!
Moonbay

Post by Moonbay »

MatildaWhiteKnightLeader wrote:Umm could the mysterious person speaking to Glen with the RoP in his bed, be Leknaat by chance?

Hehe
Leknaat: wait, what are you doing with this Rune? oh well, enjoy you life while it lasts... see y.a!

:lol:

I felt that the Hero was being protected by ALL of the others--that's why they collapsed when it attached to Glen. As if to say: "Great--we save him so he can have the Rune, and this jackass gets in the way. Let's rest and figure something out."
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

I just think it was just a coincidence to further build the plot and Glen was in the wrong place at the wrong time. There is no reason why the Rune of Punishment would not have chosen Lazlo at the time. We can argue that the mom protected him, but then why didn't she protect him on the roof, as well? And we can argue that he was on conscious, but in the very same game, the Soul Eater returned to an unconscious Ted. It happened that way because the creators chose for it to be so. There is no good reason to explain it other than that.