Marisa and the Guardians

Non-gameplay discussions on the world of Eiyuden Chronicle
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Marisa and the Guardians

Post by KFCrispy »

In the Kickstarter and possibly some interviews, the Guardians are supposed to have advanced technology and were going to be the key to winning the war. However, it feels like this didn't play out in the game. We do get a teleportation device replacing an elevator, but that's really all we see of the "advanced technology."

Unfortunately, it's too late to rework the story, but I feel it could have been far more interesting if Dux was trying to appeal to the Guardians with his new vision on making rune lenses available for the masses, and there was a division within the Guardians about whether to support him or not.

I actually think Marisa would have had quite a good story if she and other young members were more naive/idealistic/progressive and agreed with Dux, and would sabotage progress for the Alliance, but eventually Marisa would learn about how human lives were being sacrificed in order to produce the new technology.
Gullars

Re: Marisa and the Guardians

Post by Gullars »

I do somewhat agree, as Marisa's storyline feels somewhat lackluster. liberating your home is not a bad storyline, but it's hardly unique when you consider a rather large part of the cast is in a similar situation. Heck the evacuation didn't even go badly.

I also feel that the guardians themself lack's info when you consider they are one of the main factions in the game. And when Marisa apparently is a central member of the guardians as well as a main character you expect to get more info. Marissa calls Narungarde a "mask", and Narungarde calls Marissa a "guardian" with a annoyed Tone. Why doesn't Marissa share what a "mask" is to the rest of the team later, that info could be useful in said war!

Finally why is Marissa gameplay wise presented as the leader of the guardian forces? like Wayne seems to be the senior commander, and he does not step down from that position (in fact he's shown to keep a calmer head then Marisa and makes sure the evucation goes smoothly) and as far I remember, Marissa doesn't do anything that would make people push her up to become a new leader of the guardian forces.

Speaking of Guardians role in the story https://eiyuden-chronicle-hundred-heroe ... /Guardians created in 2020 says the guardian is courted by both the protagnoist and the galdean empire for their "unique" way of using rune lenses, doesn't give a source trough.

Maybe Yaelu and Mihlu were in a scrapped storyline guardian. That the guardian's sent a delegation to the Dux due to their unique way of using lenses, Marissa was distrustful, they found out their delegation was experimented on, Marissa effort to spread the truth put her in a more senior leadership position.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Gullars wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:05 amSpeaking of Guardians role in the story https://eiyuden-chronicle-hundred-heroe ... /Guardians created in 2020 says the guardian is courted by both the protagnoist and the galdean empire for their "unique" way of using rune lenses, doesn't give a source trough.
Yeah I'm sure I read that information from the Kickstarter or from some interviews when they were first talking about the plot.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

True, there's generally little information you can get about organization information not just for the Guardians, but also for other countries / entities. Hopefully they will fill in the gaps through other publications (similar to how Suikoden did that -- although Suikoden 1's Japanese version had a rather thick instruction booklet which included setting info, such as the organization structure of the Imperial Army, etc).
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Of all the classic Suikoden things, am not looking forward to be taken back to the unenviable era of being gatekept behind JP-only publications.

That aside, maybe Nil is the technology advancement that they were referring to? Not that she had much of an impact beyond being best friends with Marisa.
As for Wayve, he essentially played the same role as Garr in Nowa's viewpoint, i.e. that senior team member who let a younger person be in the leading role.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Nil wouldn't count as a technology of the Guardians, as Marisa discovered her in a barrows. She is an advanced golem of some sort, not Guardian technology with rune lenses.