Dux Alderic, his minions and the Galdeian Empire

Non-gameplay discussions on the world of Eiyuden Chronicle
Gullars

Dux Alderic, his minions and the Galdeian Empire

Post by Gullars »

I finally finished the game, and I find the main villain, Dux Alderic to be... lacking? Inconsistent? Feels like this skillset clashes against his personality?

Like he's the "second" most powerful man in the Galdeian empire (which is implied to be atleast a local superpower), and you kind of expect him to either be a tactical genius, expert manipulator or have a attribute uncommon to his fellow countryman that benefits him to have managed to achieve the rank of the (second) most powerfull man in the empire.
So what do we know about the empire? not much, but it is implied that the Empire is a pretty racist place against beastlyn (Hurstwine, a spy from the empire is pretty open about his hatred of beastlyn, Beastlyn in occupied territory is treated worse than humans, the Beastlyn in the alliance talks about how it would be especially bad for them if the empire took over).

It seems to me Aldric has two intentions with the war.
1 is expanding his own influence.
2 is getting fresh bodies for his inhuman experiments in unlocking the secrets of the rune lenses.

I think Alderic was supposed to be a meritocratic villain who values skills and the ability to be truthful to him so he can make the best decisions, he likes Perrielle for calling him out during a meeting, and he abhors Chaplin as Chaplin prioritize actions that he thinks will please the Dux (not to hard thinking he would misreport fearing displeasing the dux). Then comes the insult "let them go, its only a woman and a old man" a weird statement coming from him as he just tried to recruit Perielle and its not very meritocratic to dismiss someone based on age or gender. If it was a ploy to anger Perielle so she would go to Euchrisse to get support, giving the empire "justification" to attack Euchrisse that would have been good. But as we learn during Euchrisse chapter, the empire is just blatantly violating the treaty and no "justification" is given.

Oh yeah, him blatantly repeatedly violating treaties without consequence does not make him look like a tactical genius or expert manipulator, it makes him look incompetent and that the only reason he succeeds is because his opposition is even more incompetent.

in the final act after he loses the battle for the HQ he is unable to regain control of the situation. he tries to regain control by splitting up his army and facing the resistance one army at a time (what a tactical genius!) and giving the impression during the second war battle that this is his best chance of victory. He would have just stated that they needed to delay the army instead that would be so so so much better.

so he not really a meritocratic villain as he shows some really unmeritocratic tendencies
He's not a expert manipulator as his "manipulations" are pretty straightforward and blatant, and the only reason it works is because his targets are very very stupid.
he's not tactical genius, as when his plot fails, he figures the best choice is to split up his army, and face the resistance one at a time.

Now for his Minions

Narungarde - AKA Sequal bait AKA Yuber 2.0. she's interesting, I do not like the implied noodle story between her faction and the guardians, as the Guardians seems to be pretty friendly and cooperative they should address what they know of her faction to the resistance as it might have helped. The yuber pesmerga noodle story made more sense as Pesmerga gave of strong "loner" vibe and was not a very central character to the suikoden story.

Chaplin - AKA Midboss. Problary the most interesting minion. Thought he died during the Euchrisse chapter. Suprised he cambe back. he's in the army for glory and fortune.

Hurstwine - Spy, he is involved in the first 20% part of the game, and spends 75% in jail doing nothing, and then dies of screen. feels underutlized and poorly paced out.

Heinrich - the duke righthand man. seems indebted to the duke and has anger issues. I feel that if they went with a meritocratic dux, it would have made more sense to make him a beastlyn.

Dirhade - vampire, I liked him. would not change anything about him or his storyline.

So what toughts do you guys have about the villains? Please tell me I am intrested in hearing other opinions.