Hello to the speedrunners out there! Question on banquet skip S1

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
Nickdoane

Re: Hello to the speedrunners out there! Question on banquet skip S1

Postby Nickdoane » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:26 am

Did you just keep loading your gregminster save and just try 1 different thing each battle until you got the holy drop? Or is there some more efficient ways to test?

Pyriel
Webmaster

Postby Pyriel » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:16 am

Z3R01337 wrote:Yeah I imagine it's something similar to how the Tinto glitch works in 2.

I don't know how alike "similar" is, but the Tinto Glitch came about because they had to split up a module that grew too large during localization, and didn't correct all the references that needed to go to the new one. As you noticed, the banquet dialog occurs in 02_AREA.B\VB5A1.BIN and 02_AREA.B\VB5A2.BIN on the disc. I don't know why it would need to be in two places, but both of those files exist in the Japanese version as well. The size difference is about in line with what I'd expect for localization. So it's unlikely to be the same issue.

I don't know as much about the scripting in Suikoden as I do about Suikoden 2. However, it's probably an unintentional skip based on checking a flag that moved for some reason. I swear I always talk to Mathiu at that point in the game, but I'm pretty sure I remember both versions of the Banquet happening. I vaguely remember being mystified as to why I was dropped into a party with nothing happening on a test run I was rushing through. These are more vague notions than actual data, though.

Nickdoane

Postby Nickdoane » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:21 am

Any tips for mining an early holy rune with Tir dead? Right now I've been just testing different actions 1 at a time in the pre-setup holy rune manip. I just want to be sure I'm testing correctly and not wasting all the time.

Nickdoane

Postby Nickdoane » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:41 pm

Well anyway, my goal now is a sub 4 hour 108 star run. Once I get that I'm not going to try it more unless I get an early holy rune manip.
We'll see what the future holds, but I don't have a ton of free time nowadays to mine rng possibilities.
If anyone is willing to help with the work though I may offer a bounty :)

Return to “Suikoden I”