Viktor and Flik's relationship

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
sticky-runes

Viktor and Flik's relationship

Postby sticky-runes » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:16 am

Have you ever wondered why Flik sticks with Viktor after the fall of the Scarlet Moon Empire?

Is it just because Flik didn't have anything better to do?

Viktor heading to Jowston is understandable because he's originally from there. His home village is in ruins, but he figures he can still put his army experience to good use and make a living running a company of mercenaries. Plus he has a connection with Annabelle.

Flik doesn't return home because he hasn't finished his warrior training and probably doesn't want to go back to living in the Warrior's Village and putting up with their old traditions. He loved Odessa and continued fighting Scarlet Moon to honor her, and he accepted that he wasn't to be the one who would rebuild the country, that would be Tir's destiny, and there wasn't much point in Flik sticking around once the fighting was over. So I guess Flik thinks there's not much else for him to do except become a sword for hire, and so ends up tagging along with Viktor.

It's certainly not unusual in Suikoden for people to become friends with each other and stick close and continue traveling or working together. I'm just interested in this bond between Viktor and Flik. There's this deep understanding between the two men that doesn't really get spoken about in the games. Most of the time they're just regarded as these two badass warriors who are ready to get stuck in to all the dirty work when an important mission comes up.

wataru14
Guide Writer

Re: Viktor and Flik's relationship

Postby wataru14 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:40 pm

They complement each other well, I think.

Falcon Fencer

Postby Falcon Fencer » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:06 pm

I think they just made a great pairing as friends, as wataru14 said they complement each other well and I imagine after what they'd been through together they knew they could trust each other and know the other had their back. In Suikoden they at first don't seem as buddy-buddy but as the game moves on when Flik comes round to Tir and things advance that bond definitely strengthens. Both characters have had to deal with loss and in many ways leaving home for whatever reason and not wanting to go back?

sticky-runes

Postby sticky-runes » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:59 am

I think one of the reasons Viktor and Flik are so popular among fans is because their friendship feels quite normal. They take the piss out of each other a lot, and it's nice to have a friend like that, who you can make jokes about and still know they are on your side. And they don't ever get gushy over each other, like a lot of other characters do in Suikoden who have deep friendships (particularly the main characters' relationships with Ted, Gremio, Jowy, Nanami, etc.)
Lets face it, in real life, most people aren't that gushy and sentimental, except maybe when it comes to an intense situation, as Tir and Riou often find themselves in when one of their close friends is about to die or something, but as the player it is nice to have characters like Viktor and Flik around who are strong and dependable when things start looking grim.

bluemask

Postby bluemask » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:59 pm

I think they're just like Riou/Nanami/Jowy trio in the Good Ending of S2, that after facing so much hardships, they still ended up sticking with each other. I think their ages have something to do with it. They seem to be independent individuals who has a the sound mind to think that siding with another seem quite illogical and tactless, so they end up being together the entire time. Unlike the trio, for me, they are still stubborn kids who can't decide for themselves. I personally think, Flik hated politics too much after the events of S1 so he had nothing to do but chose to stay with Viktor who in turn, seem to be doing whatever the heck he wants, running a fortress with booze (and maybe women). Viktor also seem to be the "one you can run up to anytime if you feel hopless" kind of guy, that's why Flik seem to have chosen to go with him instead, and I think he's the only guy who can give Flik a smack whenever he acted like a kid with tantrums (just like their talk after Odessa's death iirc.)

sticky-runes

Postby sticky-runes » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:24 am

Viktor was very apologetic towards Flik after Flik found out about Odessa's death. Flik blamed Viktor at first, but when Flik went to Kaku and cooled off, he realised it wasn't Viktor's fault that Odessa died, she died doing what she felt she was supposed to be doing. She was their leader and they both had to respect her decisions, even if it meant losing her.

Odessa's last words to Flik were "it's time you started thinking like a leader" and Flik never became a leader. But he is willing to die fighting for a worthy leader, like Tir who really did carry on Odessa's dream to take down the empire, and Viktor was willing to do the same, so I guess that moment in the Gregminster palace when they both stay behind to stop the guards from chasing Tir is when they really discover that brotherhood bond that keeps them together.

As for politics, I think you're right about Flik not being a fan of politics after all that stuff that happened in S1. Viktor seems to be the more politically minded of the two, because of his relationship with Annabelle and his awareness of how things are in the city states. Viktor is also the one who gives us that history lesson about Han and Genkaku.

Return to “Character Questions”