Glitch in PSN version? Geddoe ch3 vs. Duke...

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
Silent Warrior

Glitch in PSN version? Geddoe ch3 vs. Duke...

Post by Silent Warrior »

Can someone verify whether I've run into a glitch, or point me in a different direction to get around this duel?
I've gotten to Geddoe's chapter 3, and I'm facing off with Duke in North Cavern. The SOB turns effectively invincible during the duel, and I can't make any damage at all to him! I can't get past him by saying I'm not interested in the duel, and if I do duel him I invariably get a game over. I looked at a walkthrough, and it suggests that this duel should be easy, and Geddoe having the advantage! Not true in my experience...
Geddoe's skills are about as high as they can go (Freeze and one other skill are not maxed out, the rest are), his weapon is sharpened to lv 10, I'm reasonably sure his equipment is the best available without serious item/treasure boss grinding... Level 39, on or about. I put the Hunter rune on Geddoe for... no reason at all, really.

I'm playing the game on a EU PS3, in case that matters.

[Edit] Uh, belay that! I actually do deal a little damage - one mark every 5-12 successful attempts. Is Duke really this tough, normally?
Silent Warrior

Re: Glitch in PSN version? Geddoe ch3 vs. Duke...

Post by Silent Warrior »

Ooooookaay... I finally pulled through. Check the time stamp on this post and compare it to the previous post - that's how long this duel took! Yes, ONE attempt! NOT several! Something has to be up, here...
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Ok, this is borderline insane. If Suikoden III had achievements, one should be "Can I haz treasures? - Beat any boss with a Hunter Rune euipped."

Here the entry on the Hunter Rune on suikosource's rune guide:
Enemy hit with weapons (counter attack does not count) who has an item will drop one.
Hit% = 5.
DMG = 1.
Silent Warrior

Post by Silent Warrior »

... Oh. :oops:

I'll just... visit a Rune shop and whistle innocently...
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

But it happens to the best of us! In Suikoden V, I equpped a character with the Hunter Rune (one of my physically strogest characters to boot) ... in the final dungeon. Yeah, that was NO FUN.
Silent Warrior

Post by Silent Warrior »

Ooo, I feel thy pain! You... took care of your unfortunate circumstance before fighting the final boss, I hope?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Yo can reorganize your party before the final boss, but everything before that took WAY too long.