Heroes names meanings and origins

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Heroes names meanings and origins

Post by suiko2fan2 »

Suikoden 1:
Tir - (Persian Origin) meaning first summer month which means arrow

Suikoden 2:
Riou - (French Origin) meaning someone who lived near a stream.

Suikoden 3:
Thomas - (Aramaic Origin) meaning twin
Hugo - (Germanic Origin) meaning for mind, heart or spirit
Chris - (Greek Origin) meaning bearer of Christ
Geddoe - ???

Suikoden 4:
Lazlo - (Slavic Origin) meaning glorious rule

Suikoden Tactics:
Kyril - (Greek Origin) meaning lord, freeman, or masterful

Suikoden 5:
Freyjadour -???

Can someone help me identify the meaning and origin for frey and geddoe please?
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
EternalOnslaught

Re: Heroes names meanings and origins

Post by EternalOnslaught »

I'm not sure about Geddoe or Freyjadour. Freyjadour had multiple names though, I was never entirely sure if that name was the official name or what.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

EternalOnslaught wrote:Freyjadour had multiple names though, I was never entirely sure if that name was the official name or what.
So does every other nameless hero.

None of them are official.

And you're not going to want to stare to blindly on Geddoe since it's a translation that breaks every single naming convention ever concieved.

Try Ged.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

Tir could also be a misspelling of Tyr, who was a Norse God of war and justice, whose name translates to god.

Riou could also be from Japanese, where it translates cool, refreshing, distant, dragon, or reality, depending on which characters you use(multiple kanji have the same pronunciation)

Hugo, in addition to being the latinized form of the germanic hugh, has also been used as an anglicized form of two gaelic names, one being a Aodh meaning fire, and the other having further norse roots to Eysteinn meaning either island of stone, or stone of good fortune. if you were gonna make him the flame champion, then the Aodh is certainly an appealing root.

Chris- bearer of christ, christ meaning the anointed, for those who were curious.

Lazlo-hungarian name from the slavic Vladislav meaning to rule with glory

kyril, in addition to being a form of cyril, could also related to Karl, the germanic/scandinavian form of charles meaning man or warrior.

Freyjadour is a made up name comprising of the component parts of freyja and dour. Freyja being the norse goddess of love, beauty, and fertility. her name translates roughly to the Lady, as in a noble lady. dour is either from the Gaelic dur or the latin durus which both translate roughly to stubborn or hard. combined it would mean the stubborn lady. alternatively, Frey is old norse for Lord, so if you ignore the feminizing ja, frey-dour would mean stubborn lord, which is better than stubborn lady.

Geddoe is another made up name. Ged(d) is danish for Goat or scottish for although. doe coming from old english would imply a female of numerous mammal species including the deer, and the goat, there are other possibilities for the root of doe. in welsh it means yesterday, in frisian it means 'at that time in the past'. I guess you could take the inferences from the welsh and frisian to have geddoe mean something like the goat of yesterday, which would fit pretty well with geddoe's personality, and certainly makes more sense than a female double goat.
FliktorForce5

Post by FliktorForce5 »

I dunno I kinda like the translation as female double goat.
Still waiting for that daring piece of fan art with Zahak and Galleon sharing eyeliner in the bathroom...
ZaruenVoresu

Post by ZaruenVoresu »

If they are not official , where did the names come from? Who came up with them and why?

Tyr/Riou I always considered to be Official, but I never thought Lazlo or Freyjadour were Official
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Tir, Riou, Razro and Freyjadour all come from the novelizations of the games (i.e. books released only in Japan, detailing the story and background story of the games (you can read the novelization of the first SUikoden on tumblr, translated by a fan: https://soul-eater-novel.tumblr.com/pos ... ess-of-the)

Tir, Riou and Razro are, however, the only names that I am aware of that Konami used outside of these (Tir was used in a Konami character contest some years back and the internet radio show, Riou also on this show, Razro was used as the official romanization in the Pachisuro game). Other names are:

Suikoden: Louie (from the manga)
Suikoden II: Tao (from the manga)
Suikoden V: Faroush (from a promotional save file in Japan), Ardil (from the manga)
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

In the Suikoden 3 Manga, when Lucia names Hugo, she says that it is an old Karayan word for "Arrow Feathers". I assume this was an idea created by the author Aki Shimizu, but as Suikoden is set in a fictional world, it probably wouldn't be unreasonable to think that many of the names could have entirely different meanings to what they have in the real world.

The name Freyjadour makes me think of Freyja, the Norse goddess of love. Her name means "The Lady" and she had a twin brother named Freyr meaning "The Lord".
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Just curious, what's the difference between Riou and Ryu?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

The spelling. And, as a consequence, the pronunciation. Somebod should correct me, but Riou is peonounced Ree-oh, where's Ryu is pronounced Ree-u.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Just a thought: if a chinese says the chinese name Liu, then a japanese listener would write it down as Riou リオウ, as it is pronounced Lee-oh (in one syllable). Then Liu (Riou) would be one of the more chinese-ish Suikoden 2 names along with Han, Shu, Cai (Tsai), Huan, Xin (Shin). The most prominent hero Liu is arguably Liu Bei who appears in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan