Making a game loosely based on Suikoden

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Kodremus

Making a game loosely based on Suikoden

Post by Kodremus »

I am currently working on a science fiction RPG which is nearing completion. Meanwhile, I've begun thinking about my next project and one idea that I've had for some time is to make a game inspired by Suikoden. However, as I've thought about this project some more, I realize it could also be loosely based on Suikoden.

What I mean by loosely based, is that there would be some references to events and characters that could be from Suikoden, but these wouldn't be directly named, so they could be from something else. Only those who have played Suikoden could piece together how they are connected. The game wouldn't be called Suikoden and there wouldn't be any direct reference to Suikoden.

Since the 108 stars of destiny is a concept from Shui Hu Zhuan, this game could have 108 stars of destiny and it wouldn't be an infringement on Suikoden. Other concepts such as runes however wouldn't be in the game. Gameplay would be inspired by Suikoden, with a combination of turn-based battles and tactics battles.

I am currently piecing together some story ideas, and how it could indirectly connect to Suikoden. If you have any questions, suggestions or comments about this project, let me know.
Antimatzist

Re: Making a game loosely based on Suikoden

Post by Antimatzist »

So basically something like Exit Fate.
Kodremus

Post by Kodremus »

To some degree it would be like Exit Fate in that the game would have two battle types. However, unless I get others to help work on the game, the art style and music would probably not be like previous Suikoden games. I am not a pixel artist, so the game would be in 3D.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

If runes aren't going to be in it then what's the point of connecting it with Suikoden? Might as well be your own concept entirely. Is it necessary to have 108 recruitable characters? Are you going to go to the effort of creating 108 individual characters? Why not 80 or 50?
Kodremus

Post by Kodremus »

For sure 108 characters is a bit much, one idea I am thinking of at the moment is to start with only 36 characters. These would be based on the 36 Heavenly Spirits, the first part of the 108 stars of destiny. If the game is well received, I could then work on a sequel which would introduce the remaining 72 characters. This would make it match with Shui Hu Zhuan more than Suikoden.

The game would be an original concept, but I guess the question I am asking is this. If there was an original game inspired by Suikoden, would you find it interesting if at some points in the game, there were references to events that could have been in Suikoden.

For runes, the game could take place in a continent where runes have not existed for centuries. They could be introduced later on but not be called runes since the people in the continent don't know what runes are.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I would only like references to Suikoden games it if it actually was a Suikoden game. Like a spin off or something. I'm just not quite sure why you want to tie it in with the Suikoverse when you're using very little content from the source material.

I mean if it's your own story, then you could have incidents that are inspired by Suikoden events, for example, if you like the idea of the queens of Falena using assassins against members of their own family, then you could come up with similar events occurring in your story, but using countries and characters you've created yourself and exploring the idea in a bit more depth and introducing entirely new ideas, then that would be great. Kind of like how the Elder Scrolls have cultures that are inspired by Romans and Vikings, but the games are not based directly upon Roman history or Norse myths. There's a lot of familiarity for people who are interested in those subjects, but the games still have their own identity.

I just think you'd be better off doing it like that. Stick to your own world and you can still use ideas from Suikoden, but also make up your own rules and not need to worry too much about researching the Suikoden games. You're more likely to piss Suikoden fans off if you do something inaccurate, but if it's your own world and your own rules, and you're just taking inspiration from the best bits of games and stories that you like, then nobody can tell you you're being inaccurate.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Yes, I think basing it on your own concept would be much more fun. The Suikoden series very often cites from other works, so you citing from Suikoden would be meta-citing. I mean you could throw in random quotes like "DIE PIG!", but cting actual events wouldn't make much sense.

As for making the game, keep in mind that some newer games put some interesting turns to the round based battles. Persona 5 or Cosmic Star Heroine make battles a lot more interesting and faster, so I would not recommend using a Suikoden style, which was never really impressive (with the exception of "Auto" making battles pretty fast, but lacking tactical depth).

What engine will you use for the game?