Suikoden IV comes to EU PSN

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Antimatzist

Re: Suikoden IV comes to EU PSN

Post by Antimatzist »

I wonder if they'll skip Tactics and go straight to V. But then, I also wonder if they'll bring the games to PS4 finally. Some days ago, Square Enix announced to bring Star Ocean 3 digitally to PS4 as a PS2 classic, so maybe the service will pick up speed a bit.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Interestingly enough, Yuichi, while no longer at Konami, recently said some things on twitter that made it seem like Suikoden III on PS4 was more or less an impossibility but that the others are possible.
Yuichi wrote:likely, never see Suikoden 3 outside of PS3 - unless there is a remake :( -stupid middleware and contracts
Wonder what contracts would hinder S3 but not the others. S3 has no voice acting, I'd assume Konami owns the rights to Ai Wo Koete and the animation even if Gonzo did the actual animation.

Might be because it uses RenderWare as it's engine, I believe you can't get new contracts for that but old ones are upheld and RenderWare was in use on PS3 as well so that could be why the buck stops at PS3...
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Yeah all this licensing stuff goes way beyond me. I'd have guessed that the voice acting Suikodens were a problem, since contracts of voice actors seem to be very ... strange, especially in Japan (like: the voice actor keeps the rights of his work and basically just gives out licenses for specific releases).

But yeah, now Suikoden IV is out at least in the US (and Brazil), probably in the next months in Europe and no word in a Japanese release. Square Enix recently announced that they'll bring Star Ocean 3 to the PS4 in Japan which would be the first "PS2 on PS4 Classic" there. I don't really see Sony doing anything with regards to PS1 emulation on the PS4 (or pushing the PS2PS4 service), so I guess this'll be the final re-release. I doubt bringing Tactics or V will be profitable on PS3.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Finally, the game is available in Europe as well. Of course, no news from Sony or Konami about it, it just happened.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Well that's weird and about damn time. Better get it before it's gone if you want it.

And I also just now realized they've localized the descriptions for the games... needs some work...
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Actually, maybe don't get it even if you want it right now. Some people are reporting an error when trying to launch it, and sure enough my copy gives Error 80029519 when trying to launch.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

The game has now been removed from EU PSN. Hopefully, a functional version will go live soon. Again, the lack of information coming from Konami is depressing. I guess that there has been a mistake, the game was not supposed to go live, but somebody prematurely pushed the "publish" button. But can you really say "prematurely" if the game was actually announced half a year ago!?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Well, PSN support is a delight to deal with at least. I think they've spent more in man-hours on denying there's anything wrong and pretending it's nothing to do with them than I paid for the game by now.

How difficult could it possibly be for Sony to download a game off their own store and see if it actually works?

And yeah, Konami's radio silence about the whole thing is depressing. They sold a broken game, big deal, mistakes happen, but not admitting them or saying how you're going to fix it is a real no-no. People have paid money for this, not an awful lot, but they deserve to at least know if they're getting it back or if there's a fix coming.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Appearently it's back up. Can anyone test whether this is now working or not?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Well it seems to start at least so seems good now and it's the PAL version.