Suikoden 1 Saturn version translation?

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
JiN88

Suikoden 1 Saturn version translation?

Post by JiN88 »

Is there a Saturn version translated of the game? Be it for PS or Saturn emulators.

I looked around and couldn't get any definite answers other than PC Chinese ports, Suikoden gaiden Vol 1 & 2 and what not. Would be nice to reminisce with the original contents: Pirate attack, arena and the more important KITTY.
Antimatzist

Re: Suikoden 1 Saturn version translation?

Post by Antimatzist »

No there is none. I don't know how hard Saturn romhacking is, though, so it could be probably done.
JiN88

Post by JiN88 »

Shame. Been a long time. Someone should have done it a long time ago.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

It'd be only worth it for the new dialogue scenes at the pirate's hideout, gremio's resurrection and Eikei's arena.

I think there are very few Saturn translations available at all, due to various reasons (pretty "niche" system and 99% of the relevant translations would be Japanese->English and Japanese translators are rare). If the file structure of the game is similar to the PSX version, we'd "simply" need to insert the PSX texts into the game and translate the remaining new bits - but I doubt the file structure is SO similar. It's always easier said than done.

Add to that that Suikoden has a small fanbase and romhacking/fantranslation groups are not interested in the title since it's been released in English at least for one platform.