Cut Content

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
sticky-runes

Re: Cut Content

Post by sticky-runes »

herbs? it's not what Ledon puts in his funky tea, is it?
TheyCallMeStacy

Post by TheyCallMeStacy »

Does anyone have any evidence that Scarleticia was supposed to be more developed? I always found it underwhelming, considering it is likely the shortest dungeon in the game, you never fight any bosses, or even duels for that chapter, and there are no original enemies there at all (not even upgraded palette swaps, I believe the only place in the entire game to not have any new enemies), so I always believed there was supposed to be more to it.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Yeah, there's like 900 wardrobes in Milich's house in Gregminster, but hardly any space in Scarleticia to keep all of his outfits, whats that all about?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

We don't have evidence, there's nothing in the game data which suggests this.

But it's pretty clear that they ran out of time. Scarleticia is also a dungeon which does not add anything to the story except making the game a bit longer before the final parts in Gregminster and Shasarazade.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Mind you, I think it's quite effective story-wise and gameplay-wise having Scarleticia as a small location. Pannu Yakuta, Moravia and Shezerezade were large castles packed with guards and powerful monsters, while Scarleticia's greatest defence was the poisonous flowers which could wipe out any army that gets near the place. Once we have acquired Liukan's vaccine, we just march in and take over. It gives us the feeling that we've rendered general Milich powerless - without his poisonous flowers, he has no real fortress, just a fancy mansion with pretty gardens and art galleries that offers little protection.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Oh I mentally switched Scarleticia and Moravia, whoops.
TheyCallMeStacy

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. It's cool to imagine, that if someone made like a fan mod or updated remake, it would be cool to at least put a boss fight for that chapter, or original enemies for Scarleticia. And not having a boss for Moravia definitely makes it feel like a filler dungeon. I tried a playthough where you use every character at least once for a boss, but there just aren't enough bosses to do this.

You can definitely notice how in Suikoden II, there are only like 3 dungeons/chapters of the game that you go through without having a boss, so it feels like a more complete game. Heck, I wish that before dueling Teo you had to fight Alen and Grenseal in boss fights, reminiscent of the Alenia/Zahhak/Galleon triple boss fight. I know this site did discover dialogue referencing some type of five general assault in the cut content guide. It's fun to think about what it could have been, but having to make 5 parties to take on bosses would have been awesome.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Maybe the big rose itself could have been a boss and attacked us with thorns and earth spells. Did you notice there's a female soldier you can talk to in Antei? She disappears after you liberate the area from Milich, so maybe she could have been a captain or something that you fight in Scarleticia. Her sprite was very unique compared to all the other guards and NPCs we encounter, and she was dressed in bold colours, so she looked like she would have served Milich. There is a similar sprite to her when you revisit Sonya's house in suikoden 2.
TheyCallMeStacy

Yeah, the thought of the rose being a boss battle has crossed my mind. It's weird, but considering how many random filler bosses there are in this game, being able to fight something that you know you have to destroy would gave been interesting. And it would be fitting, with all of the plant themed enemies in Scarleticia and its overworld area. You go into Sonya and Neclord's dungeon expecting to fight them, and Kwanda's black rune only melts once you beat him in a duel, so it just feels a little anticlimactic that Milich gets freed from the black rune without a fight and the poisonous rose is destroyed so easily.

And yeah, I always noticed that female soldier as well, and given that unique sprites aren't very common in this game at all, it would have been cool if she was made into a minor antagonist. It would be fun since all of the female antagonists in Suikoden I can think of (Sonya, Lucia, Sarah, Alenia, and Sialeeds) have some type of great personal stake, which motivates their opposition to the heroes, while for her it could just be that she's loyal to her country. Haha I know its just wishful thinking at this point, but considering I've played AOE 2, where fan-made mods and expansions have actually become official expansions, it's fun to think about what changes we would make.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Location along the events on Mt. Seifu and in Rockland. I don't remember those lines.

Code: Select all

<Hero> and his entourage,
under orders from Commander
Kraze, had come to get rid of
the bandits holed up in
Mt. Seifu.

Save Point
Temporarily closed.

After defeating the bandits, 
<Hero> returns to his
home in Gregminster.
But there awaits an incident
which will change <Hero>'s 
destiny.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Antimatzist wrote: @Raww: Could you maybe look into the Japanese script? But yeah, it's really wonky, and five parties would be overdose, and something special would not fit into the army system. Maybe it was meant to be 5 duels!? We should have asked Murayama, lol.
I have now seen the Japanese text and the one thing of note is that the Japanese says you're picking 五虎将軍 which the translation ignores. 五虎将軍 means Five Tiger Generals, an unofficial Chinese term for the top five commanders who fought under the same lord.

The term is used in Romance of the Three Kingdoms but more importantly, the term also comes up in the original Shui Hu Zhuan where five of the bandits are named this.

So in all likelyhood, this was meant as a reference to the original novel rather than the Great Generals of the Scarlet Moon Empire.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Gen and Kamandol has a cut interaction that seems to have been supposed to play out as you enter the rapids to get to Liukan's house. These are in the localized version.

Gen:
These must be the rapids.
Hey, old man, are you ready?

Kamandol:
I told you to stop calling me
"old man."
Here we go!
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Clive has an unused line (presumably, can't see any way to trigger it at least) when you take him to Elza's grave in Rockland where he seemingly falls for her trick.

Perhaps there was supposed to be an actual quest line here originally that could result in a different outcome?
I see...
Looks like I've wasted my life.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Sonya has an unused line in the files for Shasarazade that suggests she was meant to appear at the start or the battle with her was earlier as the line is before Mathiu telling people to unload the oil barrels.
[NAME] McDohl!
Traitor! Father killer!
In the name of the Five Great Imperial Generals, I will not let you go beyond Shazarazade.
Retranslation based on the Japanese:
[NAME] McDohl!
Not only have you betrayed the Empire, you even murdered your father with your own hands!
As one of the Five Great Generals, I swear that you will not get past Shasarazade.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Raww Le Klueze wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:20 am Clive has an unused line (presumably, can't see any way to trigger it at least) when you take him to Elza's grave in Rockland where he seemingly falls for her trick.

Perhaps there was supposed to be an actual quest line here originally that could result in a different outcome?
I see...
Looks like I've wasted my life.
It may be worth asking Murayama about this whenever he decides to wander into the Eiyuden Discord.
He's a lot more willing to talk about these things now than before.