Treasure Hunting questions

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Treasure Hunting questions

Post by Sasarai10 »

Well ST is difficult as it is...and bringing Rene along would waste one precious slot from your party. So not much convenient.

But if I bring her during a battle (on my first try)...dig up treasure, and if in case I get defeated will the items I carry over the items I dug up even if I got defeated (when I had Rene)?

Also are there any valuable items during battles that can be dug up only once?
gildedtalon

Re: Treasure Hunting questions

Post by gildedtalon »

Sasarai10 wrote:But if I bring her during a battle (on my first try)...dig up treasure, and if in case I get defeated will the items I carry over the items I dug up even if I got defeated (when I had Rene)?
According to a user here, if your whole team dies in Obel Ruins and gets sent back to the surface, you will lose those items you have dug
Sasarai10 wrote:Also are there any valuable items during battles that can be dug up only once?
There are lots of valuable items, read a walkthrough to collect them all
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Iirc, you will not keep items when you get defeated. For story battles you'll need to load a previous state, so logically no. But even if it's an optional battle where you can continue playing you won't keep items. And if you use the "restart battle" option you need to collect everything again. The only thing you keep is experience gained. The stuff you will keep only after a successful battle is the stuff listed after a successful battle: items, gold, skill points.

There are lots of rare or even unique items to be found via digging, especially in the second half of the game, and in the Obel Ruins. There are some more ways to get nice stuff: quests rewards and stealing (Noah). Getting S ranks after battles will give you a unique item, but only one per stage (you'll never get more than one, even in NG+). The most difficult is to get the dig items AND S rank, because taking too much time with Rene will result in a lower rank. Luckily you can find a lot of very helpful tipps here in this board. And KFCrispy has even started a video guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXk0WrX ... eBQUfNV30Q
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Digging will get you the rarest stuff. Stealing is most of the time not worth it (with the exception of the Elemental Mirrors from the dragons), but digging will bring you some of the best armor and some rare or even unique runes. I'd absolutely recommend it, especially if you (for some reason) cannot S-Rank (which will give you some seriously great stuff)
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Thanks for your answers.

But I think you can have 2 separate playthroughs, since items can carry over a New Game+ (one for S Rank,one for treasure). Right? Although it'd be better to start treasure hunting after you have raised Rene's Treasure Hunting ability to the maximum.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

If you can't manage to do treasure hunting and S ranks in 1 playthrough, then do treasure-hunting in the first. Then you'll have plenty of good stuff to make S ranking easier.

Be careful, you can't repeat a story battles, you must get the dig items immediately if you need them (the same for treasures). Quest (guild) battles do not have dig items. Other optional battles do, but you can fight them as often as you want. It doesn't cost much to maximize Rene's treasure hunt skill. Just always keep it at the current max. Attach a gale rune to make her faster.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Yes, treasure hunting should have priority; especially in the story battles in El-Eal since the S-Rank item is useless (this is also true in the Obel Ruins). For some story battles, you have plenty of options to S Rank them (e.g., Razril, has three (or four if you count the optional Chiepoo quest) and you can dig only in one of them?), and the battles in the beginning are "easy" to S Rank, since they mostly follow similar schemes (in the end, it also comes down to luck).

But the optional battles you can fight, like in Terana, offer many ways to S rank and to dig up treasure. Every of them comes in multiplle, different configurations, and each configuration has its own set of diggable items. SO you can repeat them as often as you want, don't kill the elemental and go treasure hunting.

I don't know if we have a comprehensive guide online with all the exact dig spots; with such a guide, you don't even need Rene's skill as you can exactly dig at the spots with the treasure.