Lepant Vs Lino En Kuldes

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Re: Lepant Vs Lino En Kuldes

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:I do like the part where we can ask Setsu if he is the king, and Setsu replies with "Our king is a most magnificent man, that you would mistake somebody like me for him is... ahem, quite ridiculous."

I like Setsu. I like how he values the lives of the royal family above your own safety, and tells you to use the rune to defend the kingdom. He also questions your choice if you put Lino in the separate team at the end of the game. Lazlo doesn't get to experience having a clingy attendant like most of the other heroes, so meeting an overly protective servant who kind of puts you at the bottom of the pile is a refreshing experience for a Suikoden game. Just think - if Lazlo hadn't been separated from his family as a baby, then he might have grown up with Setsu bowing and scraping to his every move!
Generally all servants in SIV are overprotective (Setsu, Micky, Desmond). Well Desmond seems to be the less overprotective one though.

As for Setsu, well he was acting like a jerk most of times. Although he had the funniest scene in the entire game. "Aim for this". :mrgreen:

And yeah I always had to say Lazlo was a lucky guy. Only Snowe was protective over him in the begining and 2 of the 4 Knights and Chiepoo by some degree were kinda protective to him. But after he arrived to the Kingdom Lazlo was pretty much independent. There were no Gremios, Nanamis and Lyons to annoy him. Makes sense though since we have only 4 party slots in SIV. Gosh imagine, if 1 slot was often consumed by some "almost-permanent" party member. :o
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Snowe wasn't really protective over Lazlo, it was more sort of bravado, because Snowe was attempting to act like how a leader should act. Once they were in a real battle, Snowe was more worried about his own safety than anybody elses. Then he tried to redeem himself by pushing his troops to chase the pirates out to sea, and that didn't go well either (both incidents got him a punch from Commander Glen)

The best thing the other knights do for Lazlo is telling everyone that they have to fight hard so that he doesn't have to use the Rune of Punishment. I guess Lazlo inherited Lino's ability to not require butt kissing from servants and subordinates. Reinbach was more honorable than his noble father, but he still talked down to Micky! Axel acted like a moron like his dad, until his people pay the price for it. And Snowe's spoiled upbringing kind of caused him to be an ineffective commander. Lino is a good leader, and he doesn't need people to suck up to him and make him feel important. Lazlo kind of turns out that way as well.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:Snowe wasn't really protective over Lazlo, it was more sort of bravado, because Snowe was attempting to act like how a leader should act. Once they were in a real battle, Snowe was more worried about his own safety than anybody elses. Then he tried to redeem himself by pushing his troops to chase the pirates out to sea, and that didn't go well either (both incidents got him a punch from Commander Glen)

The best thing the other knights do for Lazlo is telling everyone that they have to fight hard so that he doesn't have to use the Rune of Punishment. I guess Lazlo inherited Lino's ability to not require butt kissing from servants and subordinates. Reinbach was more honorable than his noble father, but he still talked down to Micky! Axel acted like a moron like his dad, until his people pay the price for it. And Snowe's spoiled upbringing kind of caused him to be an ineffective commander. Lino is a good leader, and he doesn't need people to suck up to him and make him feel important. Lazlo kind of turns out that way as well.
Since we talk about parents-kids similarities in SIV...noticed there are many dad/mom-son/daughter pairs in SIV actually.

Lino-Lazlo (although it's not mentioned in the game)
Lino-Flare
Vincent-Snowe
Graham - Graham's Son (his name?)
Rikie-Rakgi
Glen-Katarina (I don't think he knew it)
Colton-Helmut
Chief of Na-Nal (what's his name?)-Axel
Reinbach II-Reinbach III
Louise-Nalleo (He doesn't know it though)

Also I wonder about Elenor's relatives. She's a Silverberg so I suppose she had relatives by the time.

Ah, and not to mention Lazlo didn't have a Lyon behind him, so he had all the time to flirt with those chicks in his ship. :mrgreen:
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Don't forget Eugene and his mum (a bizarre take on the Hix and Tengaar situation)

And who says Lazlo is into chicks? Personally I'd go for Tal.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:Don't forget Eugene and his mum (a bizarre take on the Hix and Tengaar situation)

And who says Lazlo is into chicks? Personally I'd go for Tal.
Yeah although he's mom isn't a main character, so Ieft her behind. And sure thing is he's based on Hix, yeah.

As for Lazlo, I guess you have a point. We don't know about his sexual preferences. But CHANCES are he's straight.

By the way, you can make Tal or Keneth "gay" by some degree, if they remain behind in Razril. You know in that scene when Lazlo gets exiled and 1 of those 2 Knights who will remain behind, will hold Lazlo's hands and say "I believe in your honesty".
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Yes it looks nice when Tal holds Lazlo's hands and tries to console him, but I prefer to be banished with the two male knights so I can practice my duel sword wielding technique on them.... :oops:

I think the hero's orientation should be left open for the player to decide. Which is another reason I prefer Lazlo over other Suikoden heroes because we don't get a forced potential girlfriend i.e. Kasumi/Eilie. (If I was Tir or Riou those bitches would be clearly barking up the wrong tree)
Although I do think Suikoden 3 had some cute straight teen pairings.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Well if we take as a fact, Thomas is the main hero, then yeah possibly Cecile has a crush on him. In Chris' case, I believe Nash had a crush on her. And in Hugo's...Lilly maybe? Although it's kinda bizarre, since he's underaged.

Geddoe had no one for sure, haha.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I liked Thomas and Cecile as a couple. Jaques and Aila were cute together as well (I know Jaques wasn't a main hero, but it's one of the few ships that I actually like in the suikoverse). I think the hinted romance works better in a game with talking protagonists, because then we actually get the characters interacting with each other, instead of a silent guy with some girl fawning over him.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Yeah it would be nice if main heroes were talking. Lazlo especially not only didn't talk but he didn't saw any facial expressions at all (unlike Prince)...only facial expression he shows is when Snowe asks him to hold the torch instead of him.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Sasarai10 wrote:And in Hugo's...Lilly maybe? Although it's kinda bizarre, since he's underaged
Belle has a crush on Hugo.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

wataru14 wrote:
Belle has a crush on Hugo.

Really? I don't remember it's been years since I had to play SIII..any hints about it?
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

If you recruit her with Hugo she gets all flustered and calls him "handsome." It's pretty cute.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

wataru14 wrote:If you recruit her with Hugo she gets all flustered and calls him "handsome." It's pretty cute.
Hm...I see...oh yeah I remember Gordon hitting on Chris as well.