Fantasy War Tactics (mobile)

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Fantasy War Tactics (mobile)

Post by KFCrispy »

I downloaded this game to get some Tapjoy promo points for my current game, and the battle system reminds me a lot of Suikoden Tactics, where the characters are relatively "simple" and have set skills/abilities rather than some super-complicated class/learning system that requires a good amount of research to master. there are also assist attacks... granted, i haven't played a lot of tactics games, so maybe a lot of the gameplay mechanics in Suikoden Tactics and this game are really common, so i apologize if that's the case.

but has anyone tried it? i only played the tutorial but it seems fun.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: Fantasy War Tactics (mobile)

Post by patapi »

Are the characters you recruit random generics, or do they come with a certain degree of individual personalities/stats like Suikoden?

I really need a proper mobile phone to run these newer apps. Seems to run out of memory so soon.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i only played the intro so it's hard to tell. but the character list has a fixed set of profiles (they're all greyed out except the 2 characters i currently have from the intro), and both of them talked a lot. for now i'm just going to open the game once a day to get the daily login reward.....
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i played a bunch, and i'm not really liking it anymore. the characters are so limited in their abilities, and you get limited materials so you really have to pick and choose which ones to work on. i "rebirthed" 4 characters and can't easily acquire materials to rebirth a 5th--- it's not very fun this way, especially since there are a ton of characters to recruit. the concept is fun but the game is basically designed with paywalls everywhere.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

update: oh, i discovered a particular dungeon system is designed for farming different items including Rebirth ones, so... i'll keep playing a bit :P
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

also, no character is generic. everyone has their unique set of attacks.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

haven't been back here in a while!

while i've enjoyed this game, i'm now growing impatient about a lot of the grindy/chance-based aspects of the game: having to level new and interesting characters from 1 (the leveling system in this game is super slow), having to upgrade gear (uses a chance-based system that makes it harder and harder and more and more expensive to upgrade equipment), and also rolling for a Potentials (stat bonus or disability immunity) i actually want. also, upgrading late-game character skills is way too tedious and time-consuming (late-game characters require significantly more "genes" to both unlock and then even more to skill up).

furthermore--this is a personal issue, but i'm simply not good at focusing on a core team of characters (i prefer having a variety of characters decently setup for different strategy options like in Suikoden) like many others are, so i find PvP frustrating since so many players have awesome stats and their computer-run teams can tear up my own characters.

FWT recently expanded its gameplay options: you can now raise high-level equipment past its normal 10 levels, there have been a good number of new characters to acquire with interesting abilities, and there's a daily guild raid that also introduced more interesting but tedious ways to make characters even stronger. While I have enjoyed thinking about all these characters, abilities, and strategies, it is simply not fun trying to find time to participate in the daily guild raids (not even one "off" day!) and grinding for gold for upgrading gear and experience so that i can try to make all these characters stronger.

What i really did like was the monthly (not daily, not weekly, but a much more casual monthly event!) Tower of Dawn that was challenging and made you think about different strategies, plus the rewards from ToD were tempting. But I've beaten it 3 times now and feel tired of having to deal with the rest of the game.

So I'm getting very tired of this game and think I'll put it down for good pretty soon, even though I haven't beaten ToD enough times to make one of the characters really strong. it's just too slow and boring to upgrade equipment characters i want to start using unless i put a lot of time and focus (and/or money) in doing everything i want to do.

I'm also starting part-time graduate school in the Fall, so it's just another reason for me to stop spending time on games!
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Update many years later: I did stick with the game as playing with guildmates helped with understanding the game mechanics better and more enjoyable. The game has gone past its mature state, however, and is pretty much on the decline. Nexon sold the game off about 2 years ago to Valofe, which has taken over many Nexon games it no longer wanted to support. Valofe isn't likely going to get anymore collaborative events going that players loved, but it's slowly making updates to the game by adding new heroes to the game. The game is pretty repetitive but I am gradually improving my gear, so I'm fine with it. However, it's definitely not something I'd recommend new players to get into now, as the exclusive collab heroes have functions that had yet to be replicated by any normal heroes, so new players are locked out of many strategies. But if you did really enjoy Suikoden Tactics and are looking for a mobile game to pick up, this is still a good pick.