[Guide] Rank Criteria

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

[Guide] Rank Criteria

Post by KFCrispy »

ShadowofGlenn from gamefaqs.com wrote:I've been doing some testing on Ranks, these are my findings so far:

There are many criteria that need to be met for a certain rank, and not meeting just one may cost you your rank even if you far surpass the quotas for others.

Each map has a level associated with it which determines experience from beads, mirrors, dig, steal, etc....enemy level (non-story) and maybe the map level determines the criteria for each rank.

Here are the criteria that effect rank, and what I believe to be their influence

Experience

average Exp. divided by the number of characters used (including switch) This means if you are putting down beads for 15 exp, this will hurt your score.

Damage given

average damage divided by the number of characters used (including switch). If you have counter attack on battle lust is not active, so your score may be hurt. (Cross counter appears to always critical, so this is an excellent skill when boosting your rank)

Damage taken

average Exp. divided by the number of characters used (including switch) Any misses are counted as zero, so high def, high evade characters help bring this value down

Turn count

This is a factor, but not the most important. Each rank may have a set number of turns you must complete the battle in, but it is much more important to gain exp, and give damage. So you don't have to kill 3 enemies at a time with Lazlo, give the kills to other characters as well. Just make sure you're not taking alot of extra damage.

Elemental terrain

Like turn count, you want to do the best you can, but don't sacrifice damage and exp, by spending your time laying terrain. If you have a good opening to do some big damage without terrain, do it!

Treasure Chests

Some sources state you must get all treasure chests, I have not found this to be the case. on hard maps to S rank like Graska Palace and Thunder chamber, just focus on the enemies.

Other things to note:
1. exp gained is based on damage, and there is a bonus for a kill. Hit to kill every time.
2. weapon based runes help bring in the big points. Most have damage multipliers, and runes never miss.
3. Berserk belts plus attack rune users (kika comes to mind) are very nice.
4. Attack boosting equipment is a must: Hand of God, Ogre Mail, Ogre Breath

note: if you are looking for bronze medals if you can make it through a map without damaging any enemies. you will always obtain C rank. No matter how much exp you earn through other methods, with damage given as 0, you will achieve C rank.

This is just a start, I need to test more. I open this up to you: Gamefaqs, Suikosource users.... what else do we know?
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: Rank criteria (how the game grades you after each battle)

Post by patapi »

Wow, well done! I'm impressed that these are discovered through playing the game itself!

On the other hand, the detailed walkthrough that is included in the Rhapsodia Complete Guide provides more insight into all the ranking criteria, and went further to tell us the minimum for each criteria mix that we must satisfy to obtain S rank for every single battle map in the game.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

serious? do you have the guide??
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

I do, but my reading abilities leave plenty to be desired. So, if anyone else has the book and notice any incomplete interpretation, please correct me.

Here's my take on the criteria:

For each map (with exception of Tutorials), the Guide specifies a minimum for the following 5 criteria:

- Number of turns taken to complete the battle (1 character move = 1 turn)
- Total damage inflicted
- Efficiency of damage inflicted
- Number of turns spent on beneficial elemental tile
- Total EXP gained

On top of those, there are general criteria that applies to all maps:

- Number of fallen allies (retreats and deaths count)
- Number of fallen NPCs (if any is on the battlefield)
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i've contacted Vextor and he has the book, he might provide some info. i didn't ask him about rank criteria, only to look into battle formulas such as damage... so i'll see if he can put other information together as well :)
mgattvi

Post by mgattvi »

I know that the only battle I have received an S rating was when I killed my two pirate allies ASAP in the battle against Steele.

I guess the total damage I did against them outweighed the friendly factor.

I am also guessing (from previous) that uncontrollable ally damage taken is not included in the damage taken calculation.

Can this be verified?
Mikain Clan King

Post by Mikain Clan King »

Nice finds/hypothesis, but whats with people and guides? I never use guides cause it takes away the challenge of the game, tells you where to go and how to get people.
"The duel with Genkaku.... It continues here....."
-Han Cunningham

"This is your final test... Can you win this time, Riou?"
-Leon Silverburg
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

the guide is japanese and only a few people have it....
wongfeihong0

Post by wongfeihong0 »

So does anyone have the specific ranking criteria for obel ruins level 1?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i have the japanese guide now but i can't read japanese. so i'll take a look at the book but might not be able to help.
but i would strongly recommend trying to get the S rank finishes with a few strong characters who always hit for high damage and the rest being low-level EXP earners who just spam elemental beads or only hit the flying Elemental enemies.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: [Guide] Rank Criteria

Post by KFCrispy »

removing this sticky. the most complete info is posted here - http://suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 23#p155223