FF7 remake on PS4

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Punkaiser

FF7 remake on PS4

Post by Punkaiser »

Do you have any infos about this remake?
Better graphics will surely be made, but will there be any changes regarding gameplay/story?
Antimatzist

Re: FF7 remake on PS4

Post by Antimatzist »

Punkaiser wrote:Do you have any infos about this remake?
Better graphics will surely be made, but will there be any changes regarding gameplay/story?
Yes.
http://kotaku.com/the-final-fantasy-vii ... 1711909183

Ok, now let's start areal discussion here that can't be solved by a 10second google search ;)

I'm not as excited as many other people about this. Some even say SE returns to their glorious Squaresoft days which I find ridiculous. This game here is a sure money grab for them, it's got nothing to do with fanservice. With how things are going at SE; they'll work on ths until 2018 and rename it FF XVI.
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

so it still remains ambiguous afteralll
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

Punkaiser wrote:Do you have any infos about this remake?
Famitsu magazine

Regarding the teaser trailer

Nomura: "We’re using part of that video in the game. We’re going to raise the quality even more."

Regarding the choice of hardware

"You’ll be able to play it first on PlayStation 4, that’s for certain. We’re not thinking beyond that yet, so after that is undecided. Since we’re bringing out PlayStation 4 title after PlayStation 4 title, it’d be great if we can give the hardware and industry a boost."

It’s not just an HD-ification, right?

"Final Fantasy VII is special, and we can’t ‘exceed’ the game by simply making the graphics nicer. That’s not a thing to be excited about."

"Precisely because it’s a full remake, I want to challenge what’s fun and what’s possible now."

Will the scenario change or new characters appear?

"There won’t be new characters. As for the visual taste, we’re doing them to match today’s visuals and appear closer to reality."

Regarding the game system

"I can’t share details, but we’re changing it to a more realistic system."
we’re changing it to a more realistic system
changing it to a more realistic system
more realistic system
realistic system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6JjV2ZWK1A

All my faith in it became distrust in the momento I read that words :lol:
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

I liked FF7 back in the day, there was something Dickian about the whole scenario. I hope they don't soil it.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

BrucePrintscreen wrote:I liked FF7 back in the day, there was something Dickian about the whole scenario. I hope they don't soil it.
I thought it was Cuntian.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I'm hopeful. I can't okay Ff7 nowadays because the polygons are so ugly so I'm looking forward to playing the remake in a few years. I hope there's a secret way to get Aerith in your party again.
Pen

Post by Pen »

I like 7, but I just hope this opens the door for a remake of 9, which is for me, the best PS1 FF game.
veriaqa

Post by veriaqa »

Aaah, FF7. The most overrated PS game of all time get its own remake at last.
I've came with an army who loves death like Yours loves live.
BrucePrintscreen

Speaking of FF7 - a few days ago waiting for boarding a plane I killed a couple of hours reading this VERY wordy website but it totally worthed the effort. The author explored ALL the Final Fantasy games in a very interesting way and explains why they are good/bad/somethinginbetween. He's actually very fair and balanced and constructive. It was a very interesting reading (and it explains very well why FF7 is not overrated ;) albeit far from perfect).
Here's the link: http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=patff
Be ready for HOURS of reading if you really want to read about all the FF games (I personally stuck to 7, 8, 9, 10, the only ones I had a chance to at least partially play).

My two cents: Final Fantasy 7 is the Dark Side of the Moon of videogames. Whereas Suikoden is the Velvet Underground & Nico of videogames. As in: Final Fantasy 7 was made with the best techniques of its time and was grounbreaking, mindblowing, until it was reviled a few years later when it reached obsolescence and today it is warmly remembered and rediscovered except for a few pseudo-punks who do not realise that their fake cynisism towards it is even more outdated; Suikoden was barely played by anyone when it was first out and soon collapsed into a cult thing that was on par with the biggest shots but with far less technical resources and has remained extremely influencial for its audience.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Nice like, brunce - even though he repeats the utter nonsense of the Final in Final Fantasy meaning it could be the final game for Square. That's according to interview with Sakaguchi not true, in fact, they always wanted a game with an f alliteration (as FF in Japanese sounds nice!?) and wanted to name it Fighting Fantasy. he also said the final is referring to himself, that this might have been the last game for him and that'd he'd gone to university again if it had missed.
Pen

Post by Pen »

Final Fantasy 7 is a odd game, popularity wise.

It's overrated and underrated at the same time. It's outstanding.

Overrated because while it is a good game, some people sell it more than it was, and Underrated is that people who dislike it can't see the good things the game have, and the legacy for the industry.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

why do some people get a lisp when they say Aeris?
BrucePrintscreen

Pen wrote:Final Fantasy 7 is a odd game, popularity wise.

It's overrated and underrated at the same time. It's outstanding.

Overrated because while it is a good game, some people sell it more than it was, and Underrated is that people who dislike it can't see the good things the game have, and the legacy for the industry.
The worst thing about FF7 is Squaresoft: they can't stop themselves from being super fashionable and bombastic. Also, they are very Japanese, which is not a problem in Japan, but does not always translate very well (as opposed to what we constantly say about Suikoden not being too overly Japanese and thus easily appreciated by people from other cultures). FF7 would have been a near perfect game if made with more humility, and it would have been even better for Western audiences if the authors had been a bit less ethnocentered.
Pen

Post by Pen »

BrucePrintscreen wrote: The worst thing about FF7 is Squaresoft: they can't stop themselves from being super fashionable and bombastic. Also, they are very Japanese, which is not a problem in Japan, but does not always translate very well (as opposed to what we constantly say about Suikoden not being too overly Japanese and thus easily appreciated by people from other cultures). FF7 would have been a near perfect game if made with more humility, and it would have been even better for Western audiences if the authors had been a bit less ethnocentered.
While I do agree that Squareenix is going overboard on its recent games, they weren't like that in the past. Their problem, to me, isn't they are "too Japanese", is that they try to be more "artistic" with their works than try to deliver a consistent plot.

When I talk about Squareenix plot structure for their games currently, I always use to compare "Kingdom Hearts to Chrono Trigger", two Squareenix franchises (to not be unfair), with one being more modern than the other.

Kingdom Hearts tries to build a plot around Concepts and the Abstract, and not much around Logic and Flow. It explores some really neat concepts, but for me, fail to deliver an engaging story. They sell Darkness as something of gray morality, but Darkness never does anything good for anyone to have a positive side under a different point of view. There is no reason to desire Darkness, not even "power", since power can be got by Light beings, and arguable is even more "effective". At the end of the day, the message I got after all that rumbling of "Darkness of Light who bring Lightness to the Darkness of Darkness" is that, like a YouTuber described, "Light is good, Darkness is bad, go hit it with a giant key".

Games like Dissidia and recent Final Fantasies follow this trend. They focus too much on Concepts and the Abstract and forget to deliver a good story, but I believe KH was the creator of this kind of plot structure for Square.

On the other hand, we have the Chrono Trigger series, who do have deept in its plot, but all that are explained by the games (well, the two of them...). Some concepts are really complex, but are concepts that aren't there to be abstract, they have a really nice explanation of why they are used and how they fit into the narrative. Time Travel is always something hard to write, due paradoxes, but they actually impose and create Time Travel rules to avoid unnecessary plot holes with the mechanic.

As you can see, Square in the past focused more on delivering a consistent plot than tried to be "Abstract and Artistic" with failing to deliver a consistent plot.