Suikoden IV Reboot-Demake

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Re: Suikoden IV Reboot-Demake

Post by Wolkendrache »

HolyPaladin wrote:Also, thanks for the map; it's extremely helpful. It also reminded me that I think Donut Island should be moved to fill out the southeast corner of the Island Nations map since there's nothing there in a map to sparse for its own good.
Imo even the original map is already a little bit too symmetric. Better keep it "real". Speaking of the world map: have you guys decided how to handle it? A while ago I've proposed a zoom-in function for each island for exploration. Or do you still plan to just make the islands bigger?

Room design: did you make the furniture and stuff by yourselves? As for armor display, I think it's fun. So that shop sells dragon shields, bandanas, boots, gloves, full helmets etc. If I was the shop owner I would put the small stuff away from the exit door. But fortunately in the Suikoworld there are no thieves... hey wait a minute...
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

The original shop does sell gloves, bandannas, leather armour, iron helms and wristbands (some of them are only available as bargain items) the dragon shields are just for decoration and display purposes, though ;)

I'm also wondering if I should make it look like a more general store that provides regular clothing for the townspeople and gear for the dockworkers and such as well, so it's not just purely an armour shop? the building is rather large from the outside.

I don't suppose it matters too much if our version of the game doesn't use the exact same inventory in all of the shops as the original...
suiken

Post by suiken »

Take a page from Resident Evil remake. They add something in both the story and gameplay without messing with it. I don't think tweaking some things will completely mess up this project. For example, you expect a boss in the forest of deserted island, only to find it in the cave instead. A little "suspense" would be nice.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

sticky-runes wrote:The original shop does sell gloves, bandannas, leather armour, iron helms and wristbands (some of them are only available as bargain items) the dragon shields are just for decoration and display purposes, though ;)

I'm also wondering if I should make it look like a more general store that provides regular clothing for the townspeople and gear for the dockworkers and such as well, so it's not just purely an armour shop? the building is rather large from the outside.

I don't suppose it matters too much if our version of the game doesn't use the exact same inventory in all of the shops as the original...
So that shop owner bought 2 dragon shields somewhere to attract customers in his own shop. That’s actually a pretty realistic strategy. :wink:

Shop owners usually live in the same building in Suikoden, so it’s no problem it looks bigger from the outside. It’s not necessary make other rooms of that building accessible to the player, but you should add a closed door somewhere. I never understood why customers could tour the whole shop building including bedroom and kitchen etc. in Suikoden 2.

No you don’t need to use the exact same equipment, just use anything that fits to the point of the game.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Roshambeaux

Post by Roshambeaux »

No one has posted anything on this thread for a while, so I thought I'd ask about the current status of this project. Are you guys still working on it, or has it been scrapped entirely?
A raw tomato for the win!
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

i'm taking a break from the project due to personal commitments, as I'm sure others are. I will hopefully be getting back on track with my maps in a few weeks time.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

I'm still working on the first stages of the script. I'm in touch with END and sticky regularily. We stated from the start that we don't mind if this project is our hobby for the years to come so we have no presure and thus no reason to scrap it, but do not expect updates regularily.

Also we reached a stage where we work mostly through other means of communication and we post here when we want to show something in order to test everyone's reaction. I think the spriters and mappers have been resting lately so we do not have much things to show.
Roshambeaux

Post by Roshambeaux »

:) Alright, thanks for keeping the Suikosource community abreast about the whole project. I was just a little concerned that the only promising fan-based Suikoden game that I've followed closely, will never see the light of day.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

That is very nice of you :)

Don't worry, really, we're determined to take our time. Actually we did more these last months than we thought we would have!

It seems there has been a flu pandemic over the Northern Hemisphere as well because at some point practically everyone involved was either sick or taking care of their sick families (I had to do both in a row).
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Also, END has gone North on important business.
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

Hey everyone. My laptop has been down for months now, but it's being repaired and I should get it back within this week hopefully. This project isn't dead. just saying.
Roshambeaux

Post by Roshambeaux »

It's great hearing from you again END. I don't mind seeing intermittent updates on this thread once in awhile, as long you guys are communicating with one another, be it private or public. I'm also relieved to hear that you didn't lose any content in your laptop.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

good luck :)
Roshambeaux

Post by Roshambeaux »

I've recently been getting a few messages from END via Youtube and he has informed me of having internet issues and problems with computer. He has also asked me to tell those are involved in the project to resume working on it and I suggested that all of you guys should open up a Slack account. It's a coordination tool that streamlines file sharing and communication. I'll post a link to the website for you guys: https://slack.com/
HolyPaladin

Post by HolyPaladin »

Thanks for the heads up, Roshambeaux.

On my side, I have to wait for END since he has the high quality music files I need for looping. Once END gets everything set up, I can resume work. I'll get a Slack account up when I have time.
Showcasing Q here because he's the man! 8) Er, robot. :oops: Wait, cyborg...? :? OK, just what is Q, anyway?!
Oh, and please call me Paladin for short.