[Guide] Equipment List and Armor Compatibility

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
Celes
Global Admin

Re: [Guide] Armor Compatibility

Post by Celes »

Please edit the first post when uploading a new version and remove the attachment from your fourth post, so others won't get confused about multiple files.

Great contribution!
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

Sorry about that. I removed the file from the later post and updated the original post with the latest file.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Nice job.

Are there really only 5 characters that use shields? Damn... I only use Nalleo out of those. xD
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

Yep, only 5 characters can use shields, and one of them is a nameless faceless mercenary. Quite different from Suikoden I, when even Liukan could equip a shield despite limping around with a cane.

Nalleo and Millay are my favorite shield users in this game by far.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

highwind44029 wrote:Nice job.

Are there really only 5 characters that use shields? Damn... I only use Nalleo out of those. xD
In normal Suikoden games, very few people use shields:

Suikoden: 19/78 ~ 24%
Suikoden II: 12/72 ~16%
Suikoden III: Only 3 characters have the Shield skill, I guess that's all?

Mh, can't find info on the other titles. Suikoden V doesn't even have shields! Ok, 5/60 is really few, but as you see, Shields are never that common. Also, there only about 5 different types of shields for each game, so there's not really that much diversity.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Nalleo and Millay are awesome because of their speed. The only good shields are Rusty Cog and Wing Shield. Is it true that Viking Shields give Str+5?
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

6 characters can equip shields in III.

There are 11 different shields in Tactics.
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

Yes, the Viking Shield does give a +5 boost to strength. It's almost as good as the Rusty Cog, and it's not a unique item.

I finally found the sell price for the Cape of Darkness (thanks gildedtalon). I have updated the file again.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Antimatzist wrote:
highwind44029 wrote:Nice job.

In normal Suikoden games, very few people use shields:

Suikoden: 19/78 ~ 24%
Suikoden II: 12/72 ~16%
Suikoden III: Only 3 characters have the Shield skill, I guess that's all?

Mh, can't find info on the other titles. Suikoden V doesn't even have shields! Ok, 5/60 is really few, but as you see, Shields are never that common. Also, there only about 5 different types of shields for each game, so there's not really that much diversity.
The reason I was rather surprised was because with the amount of 1H sword users in S4, it had a lot of shield-users that didn't stay that way in Tactics.

Edit: According to Enigma's same list for S4, the list of shield-users are as follows:
Ameria
Charlemagne
Dario
Gretchen
Helmut
Hervey
Jeremy
Jewel
Keneth
Millay
Paula
Reinbach III
Snowe
Tal
Trishtan
Ugetsu

Out of those 16, only 3 kept their shields. A minor irking inconsistency, but ah well...
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

A little bit off topic, but how is it possible for Rita to wear Heavy Armor? It's very weird for a tiny girl like her.
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

Ha, I'm not sure, but she definitely can. It is funny to think about her wearing a full suit of heavy armor while dragging around that huge hammer with both hands. I still think that's more believable than Liukan in the first game equipping a shield while needing a cane to walk.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Enigma wrote:Ha, I'm not sure, but she definitely can. It is funny to think about her wearing a full suit of heavy armor while dragging around that huge hammer with both hands. I still think that's more believable than Liukan in the first game equipping a shield while needing a cane to walk.
First game had many flaws. Like characters who were away for a mission were disappearing from Sod Tablet...but let's cut it some slack since it was the first.

Anyway yeah, it's pretty impressive. But that hammer looks like a toy hammer to me so it's pretty light. Oh and Mizuki can lift monsters 20 times bigger than her and toss them down when she's using her Shrike Rune. Pretty crazy isn't it? :lol:
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Enigma wrote:I still think that's more believable than Liukan in the first game equipping a shield while needing a cane to walk.
Or Lorelai using a bow and a shield.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

You can sharpen Fukien's drumsticks to the max and they will still sound blunt. *klack* *klack* *klack* *klack* *klack* *klack*
Perhaps Mace thought these were thrust weapons, so Fukien is just using them wrong. This would explain why he's dealing approximately negative 150 damage...
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan