SuikodenRM - A Javabased Suikoden II Engine

Depository for Suikoden related Fan work (art, fan-fiction, games, etc).
All material posted here must comply with the U.S. Fair Use Doctrine
OrangeeGames

SuikodenRM - A Javabased Suikoden II Engine

Post by OrangeeGames »

Hello! (first post of this wonderful community that I have followed for so many years)

We are a bunch of lucky guys today! Suikoden II gets released for the US market once again! Finally we can enjoy the masterpiece in its glory once again (without paying >100$)!

There is one problem though. We have not seen a Suikoden game to the main series in about 10 years. That's really disappointing. So, during this small wait, I (the creator, and for now the lone contributor, of Orangee Games) thought that I should try to create a good enough game engine for Suikoden II-fangames. Making user spinoffs would be nice, wouldn't it? I have some ideas for Riou myself, that I would love to show to you others!

Features implemented:
(X means fully implemented, X means semi implemented, X means not implemented at all)
  • X Walking
  • X Collision detection
  • X Interaction with objects
  • X Dynamically add chests, character
  • X 2.5D rendering
  • X Menu
  • X Fighting
Technical Specs:

Version: 0.0.2 Alpha
Under development: Yes

LibGDX
I'm developing this through the LibGDX framework. It's based on Java and I'm using Java 1.6 (should have best coverage if I would like to turn it into an Android/iPhone engine too).

Tiled
The format I'm using for my maps are .tmx, created with the free tool Tiled. Box2D is used for the collision detection and interaction.

Open Source
This will all be open source through the beloved GitHub. Just fork/pull or do whatever you want. For all I care you can read it and learn from it, or maybe you print everything on paper and set it to fire, because you hate my rather sloppy style of coding (it's after all just a hobby project. Using i as a integer is absolutely correct notation! ;) )
https://github.com/OrangeeGames/SuikodenRM/

Give it a try

SuikodenRM
SuikodenRM is still a code name both for the engine and the eventual game that I might try to get together! I just compiled my stuff together and created the first 0.0.2 Alpha. Please take a look at it if you want, and come with some small and nice feedback.

Controls
WASD - movement.
Q - Interaction with objects and characters.
ESC - Cancel.
O - Turn the debug-mode on and off. Use with care.

TL;DR

Download this .jar file and execute it. http://www.mediafire.com/download/19lez ... 2Alpha.jar
If you know some kind of code and want to contribute, take a look at the GitHub page or contact me through SuikoSource or at OrangeeGames [at] gmail.com .

Old versions:

0.0.1 Beta http://www.mediafire.com/download/cc433 ... .1Beta.jar
0.0.2 Alpha http://www.mediafire.com/download/19lez ... 2Alpha.jar
Last edited by OrangeeGames on Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Antimatzist

Re: SuikodenRM - A Javabased Suikoden II Engine

Post by Antimatzist »

Wait whut? That sounds neat! Will try it out later this evening.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

So finally got round to try it - nice haha! Good luck with the project, if it works out we'll see a billion Suikoden II clones :D
OrangeeGames

Post by OrangeeGames »

Haha, yes! That's the point! I've read some Suikoden fan based stories, and I know a lot of them would love to be able to realize them into short episodes of sweet cut scenes, tight battles and immense dialog :D

I'll keep updating this thread whenever I put something new and exiting up for grabs! :)

Btw, realized I didn't write the controls, so I update the main article with that right away!
anhholuc15

Post by anhholuc15 »

U will update this? Really excited :)
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

This sounds awesome! My wife and I decided to give it a try when we have time. Is it easy to use or do we need advanced knowledge?
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Now this is a worthwhile project instead of all the ill-conceived and abandoned fangames!
OrangeeGames

Post by OrangeeGames »

Hi again!

Still no updates, but I'm working on 3 things simultaneously for the moment.

1. Fighting system. I've made some rather basic movements in the fighting, but before releasing anything, I will have to do more testing and see if I easily can create "backgrounds".

2. Menu system. In order to do fighting, I realized I needed a small menu, so I thought about creating the inventory-menu first.

3. Party system. In order to do the menu, I thought that a Party with items and stats would be nice, so that has been the nights little adventure.

If anyone want to help a bit, things I could use:

* Overworld rips. If there are any, please tell me where to find the "overworld"-sprites (the sprites of the environment, not Riou).
* Fighting backgrounds. I have realized that most of the environment in the fights are actually 3D and not basic 2D sprites (as the characters are). But extracting some background would be nice. If anyone want to try to model the 3D, that would be cool and awesome, but I think that's stepping a few steps out of my own comfort-zone..

Last but not least, thank you very much for your positive response! If anyone wants to chip in with coding, the code is up for grabs on GitHub as you know, and soon (a couple of days, maybe two weeks tops) there will be some new content uploaded :)

EDIT: After the next update I will start doing some basic videos on how to create your own worlds. It will require some basic knowledge of Java since I haven't found a good enough MapEditor to do the case-clauses there.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

By overworld rips, do you mean rips of ll the maps? A lot are available at spriters resource: http://www.spriters-resource.com/playst ... uikodenii/
OrangeeGames

Post by OrangeeGames »

Antimatzist wrote:By overworld rips, do you mean rips of ll the maps? A lot are available at spriters resource: http://www.spriters-resource.com/playst ... uikodenii/
This is an example of the overworld:
http://firsthour.net/screenshots/suikod ... ld-map.JPG (found by google)

Maybe I have missed the overworld rips but they are when the character is small, and so is everything around him too. I have found rips of the character being small, just not the environment.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Ah ok, no that's not ripped afaik.
OrangeeGames

Post by OrangeeGames »

Okey, time for a small update. I said I was going to focus on the menu, and that's what I've been doing. It's still far from done, but I think I've created the Strength menu now at least.. I have also started with the inventory, but I'm far from done there.
Just press Escape and you will find the menu. For some (I don't know why) reason I did choose to use the arrows to navigate, and enter to go into sub-menus. As I said, don't ask me why. Everything will become more consistent eventually!

As for the fighting, I just couldn't keep myself away. Unfortunately, I have some problems with the environment, and I think I'm going to try some 3D modeling in order to get that up and going. I'm far from done with the fighting animations and such things, but I have at least started with the it.
In order to watch as far as I've come right now, press "G". To cancel fighting mode, press Escape. In fighting mode, you can press with the mouse to see some random movements. Press 1 to see the first Party member do an attack. Press 3 to see the third Party member do an attack and press 6 to see the opponent do an attack.

My focus will be to finish the Menu (pretty boring job, but once it's done, it's done! ^^), and then focus on getting the fighting up. Maybe add the Overworld (took me some hours but I finally managed to rip a couple of Overworld sprites from the Japanese 1+2 PSP version) so I can start with random encounters of monsters.

Once that is done, I'll start uploading some videos, showing people how to add their own characters and maps.

Download link to the newest version, 0.0.2Alpha: http://www.mediafire.com/download/19lez ... 2Alpha.jar
gumil

Post by gumil »

Are there any updates?
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

For what it's worth, I've been trying out this engine and I think I'm going to use it for a short story game. I don't have combat in the game so the feature set is mostly good enough for me. I will have to add music support but that seems easy using the base libgdx engine. Thanks for building this!