What ever happened to...? (Insert name here) (Spoilers)

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
bookwormbabe29

What ever happened to...? (Insert name here) (Spoilers)

Post by bookwormbabe29 »

You ever feel you're missing something with the endings? Seems every game has a character that just 'vanishes' or 'disappears mysteriously' and the like. I just finished suikoden 5 for the first time, and I saw that Orok gets the 'disappeared mysteriously' treatment, and I'm left wondering why. Plenty of people from Krin to Mike (oh Mike...) have weird 'vanished' endings that don't really tell us anything.

And why? Why not say 'Orok was killed by people still holding a grudge' or 'Mike's cover as (HWG or whatever) exposed, he left in the middle of the night' and, etc, etc. I could understand if they were leaving things open for a sequel or something, but most times they just leave it 'mysterious' to drive fans crazy.

I'd love to see fans rewrite some of the vague endings, give some closure to characters that never received anything. What do you think?
BrucePrintscreen

Re: What ever happened to...? (Insert name here) (Spoilers)

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Yeah whatever happened to the Blonde Girl In Jowston Hill? Did she also disappeared mysteriously?
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

The characters in Suikoden Tactics don't even have epilogues. We're given some idea of what most of the main cast got up to, but it's still annoying that we don't get the list of endings like in the other games. Even the Vandal Hearts games gave us individual epilogues for each character so I don't know why they left it out of Tactics.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Did we get any epilogues for Card Stories or the two Suikogaiden titles?
s21

Post by s21 »

Almost all of the tactics characters are from s4 anyway, and they already have their own epilogues, so I guess it's pointless to create another epilogue for tactics
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Didn't Shin do a disappearing act at the end of S2? What was that all about? I thought he and Teresa had a little somethin' somethin' going on, and then he just wanders off. Whore.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

sticky-runes wrote:The characters in Suikoden Tactics don't even have epilogues. We're given some idea of what most of the main cast got up to, but it's still annoying that we don't get the list of endings like in the other games. Even the Vandal Hearts games gave us individual epilogues for each character so I don't know why they left it out of Tactics.
I hated that! Even with all characters, you only get some special dialogue between certain groups (e.g. all pirates).
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

As i know Krin stole Gregminster's treasure and vanished

And as for Orok...well,he betrayed his hometown,so i guess he coculdn't afford to live there again,so it makes sense.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Antimatzist wrote:
sticky-runes wrote:The characters in Suikoden Tactics don't even have epilogues. We're given some idea of what most of the main cast got up to, but it's still annoying that we don't get the list of endings like in the other games. Even the Vandal Hearts games gave us individual epilogues for each character so I don't know why they left it out of Tactics.
I hated that! Even with all characters, you only get some special dialogue between certain groups (e.g. all pirates).
SIV characters - return to what they did right after IV
Kyril - disappeared some time (must have been years, because Andarc realized that he didn't age) after the events.
Andarc - wrote a book about the events.
Corselia - goes on a journey to find Kyril.
Simeon - accompanies Corselia on her trip.
Ornela - rebuilds & restructures Kooluk
Busk- rebuilds & restructures Kooluk
Roget - rebuilds & restructures Kooluk
Lalacle - still runs her quest guild
mercenaries - go on a journey in search for their eyes and names (who cares anyway?)
...Seneca???!!! What is she doing?
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I don't think the Kooluk characters would have rebuilt Kooluk, since Corselia honored her grandfather's wish to let the empire crumble and she confirms in her letter that all their towns were abandoned or absorbed into the Scarlet Moon Empire. And Corselia's letter was addressed to Andarc and Seneca, so they must have carried on living together. When Andarc closes his book at the end, he's wearing rings on his fingers so maybe they got married.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Wow, you were very attentively watching the end, I must admit I wasn't, because I didn't care too much about this stuff, at least for the Tactics game, which is actually not a real Suikoden game if you're strict about it. They must have called it Rhapsodia for certain reasons like:
- no SOD and tablet
- hero has no true rune
- plot so unimportant (from global perspective) that even Leknaat doesn't show up

As for the Kooluk characters, all of them love their homeland, whatever name it carries and whatever form of governship, that's why my guess is rebuild and restructure. And iirc, when they stand on these ruins in the end, they say something like there's a lot of work to do, I'm not sure.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I can't remember the exact dialogue during the rubble scene, but it's heavily implied that they just let Kooluk fade away. I don't think they really mention anything about starting a new government or anything like that, they basically admit that their country is fucked and there's not a lot they can do about it.

Ornela and Busk might have stuck around to help the needy. Flare felt sorry for a lot of the people she saw suffering in Kooluk, so she might have helped some of them relocate to the Island Nations or something like that. But there's no mention of Kooluk in any other games, so I always felt that Tactics was the story of how Kooluk came to an end.

As for Tactics not being a "real" Suikoden game, well, it felt more like a traditional Suikoden game than 3 did (to me that one felt like a spinoff)
Tactics was essentially how Suikoden 4 should have ended, if they had Lazlo continuing the quest to wipe out rune cannons instead of Kyril, but oh well.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Let Kooluk fade away? A country with living people and mostly intact infrastructure can't just fade away. The only thing that fades away is the government or the dynasty. I always thought Kooluk is a paradise of natural resources, you can dig them out with your bare hands ;-)
I guess Scarlet Moon Empire would invade Kooluk, the Island Nations would defend Kooluk until it has a new governance or decides to be part of the Island Nations. In S1 Kooluk is not a part of SME. Kooluk is now either a new state, or a part of the Island Nations, or a hole in Templeton's map. If Ornela and Busk did not want to govern anymore, I could imagine they establish something like the Dragon Cavalry in Falena. A stand-alone organisation that comes supporting Kooluk whenever it is invaded. Ornela and Busk are not really the "set off on a journey" characters.

As for the characters' endings sequence we know from the other games, it's just not compatible with the narration style of Tactics. Andarc, who's the narrator, only cares for those close to him and Kyril, he doesn't care for every soldier from the Island Nations.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Let Kooluk fade away? A country with living people and mostly intact infrastructure can't just fade away. The only thing that fades away is the government or the dynasty.
That's what I was implying, lets not jerk ourselves over semantics. :)

Corselia writes:
I also made a short trip to Kooluk -- or should I say, the land that was once Kooluk. Some villages have been absorbed into the Scarlet Moon Empire, while others have been abandoned.

That's the last we hear of Kooluk.
As for the characters' endings sequence we know from the other games, it's just not compatible with the narration style of Tactics. Andarc, who's the narrator, only cares for those close to him and Kyril, he doesn't care for every soldier from the Island Nations.
Agreed, but it would have been nice if they at least kept with the tradition of listing character endings. And if we lost characters in combat, their caption could say, for example "died in El Eal ruins/died in Patriarchal Facility".
Otherwise they could have included little scenes/stills in the credits of different groups of characters doing what they do (assuming they survived), like the Razril Knights in their training yard, the Obelians in their palace, the people and elves of Na Nal, etc.
It just would have been a nice pay off, since we got tons of dialogue from characters during battles and campfire scenes and even the guild quests gave us some idea of what some of the characters wanted to get up to.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

*facepalm* I see :)

Cool, I didn't remember what Corselia said about Kooluk. They really destroyed themselves through civil war. Who won the war between the Kooluk dynasty and the Patriarchal Faction? Answer: Scarlet Moon Empire. Seems that Lino had no ambitions to expand. Good guy.

As for the character endings sequence, I don't miss it, nor would I complain had they added it.

...Oh, and about the topic, I would like to know more about Cleo and Pahn, the game didn't introduce them thoroughly enough imo. I mean, they must have been something like Seneca and Andarc towards Tir, "vice parents" in imperial hierarchy language. The series mustn't die before telling us the content of Cleo's diary!!!