Most beloved antagonist character

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
BrucePrintscreen

Most beloved antagonist character

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

I mentioned on another topic that I always had a fondness for Culgan & Seed. I found their death to be poignant. These two guys were brave and honest, they just made the wrong choice.

So it inspired me this topic: which character from the enemy's side do you like the most?

I'm not asking you who you think is the best villain because no-one can beat Luca Blight at this. I'm asking who you love despite them being on the other side and why.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Re: Most beloved antagonist character

Post by Sasarai10 »

Luc.

He made the right choice,than being always the Leknaat's sidekick :|
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I like Graham Cray's story. It's not every day you meet someone in the Suikoden world who cut their own hand off to get rid of a rune.

I like Colton as well. He was bit of a stern old git, but he had a nice fatherly nature as well.
veriaqa

Post by veriaqa »

Gizel, Troy, and Teo
I've came with an army who loves death like Yours loves live.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

I've never really felt much affection towards any of the "villains." The only one that I could possibly like was Lucia in S2. Everyone else seemed to me to be on the wrong end of a clearly right/wrong conflict and it angered me that they let things like loyalty and honor force them to do things that are clearly wrong.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

BrucePrintscreen wrote:I mentioned on another topic that I always had a fondness for Culgan & Seed. I found their death to be poignant. These two guys were brave and honest, they just made the wrong choice.
I liked the cunning of Gizel and Leon of course. As for Culgan and Seed, Culgan yes, Seed less. Here's why...

(Battle at the mercenary fort)
Solon Jhee: "Soon we'll be able to see their fort. I bet they're shivering like little mice. Okay, let's finish this before Lord Luca comes!!!"
Culgan: "Don't be reckless. You might lose your head."
Seed: "I agree we should finish them before Luca comes. Otherwise we might not get a chance. Right, Culgan?"
Culgan: "It's unwise to take foolish risks. Better conserve your strength until it's needed."
Seed: "How boring!!! An opportunity missed is an opportunity wasted!"

(Battle at North Window)
Solon Jhee: "Good. They're just rats in a trap. Crush them! Don't let anyone escape!!!!"
Culgan: "But our forces are spread too thin. Our flanks are too exposed...."
Solon Jhee: "Exposed? The only thing our flanks are exposed to are the open fields of South Window!! Don't worry, just get them!!!"
Seed: "This will be fun. That old coward from South Window gave up without a fight and I was getting bored."

Culgan is wise. Seed is aggressive, but fortunately smart enough to eventually follow Culgan. Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine it was Seed's idea to follow Jowy.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Culgan is probably the "Flik" of Highland Army and Seed the "Viktor" one? :?:
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Sasarai10 wrote:Culgan is probably the "Flik" of Highland Army and Seed the "Viktor" one? :?:
Flik - you mean the guy who decided to rush Scarleticia without agreeing to send anyone to scout out the area, and got half the liberation army wiped out in the process?
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

sticky-runes wrote:
Sasarai10 wrote:Culgan is probably the "Flik" of Highland Army and Seed the "Viktor" one? :?:
Flik - you mean the guy who decided to rush Scarleticia without agreeing to send anyone to scout out the area, and got half the liberation army wiped out in the process?
That's a younger Flik, not the Flik we know in Suikoden II. Perhaps a younger Culgan was pretty reckless and learnt the hard way to become the quiet guy he is.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

BrucePrintscreen wrote:
sticky-runes wrote:
That's a younger Flik, not the Flik we know in Suikoden II. Perhaps a younger Culgan was pretty reckless and learnt the hard way to become the quiet guy he is.
So you mean the guy who questioned the fighting abilities of a 16 year-old until he got seriously battered by the kid.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

BrucePrintscreen wrote:

Yeah Flik seems more mature in S2 than he was in S1,but Viktor didn't change a lot.

I wonder how they'd be if they'd exist in S3....they'be 42 y.o. and 47 y.o. respectively. I guess Flik would fight less and have some kind of a desk job,but Viktor would still be as he was in the first 2 game but he'd look older
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Viktor wasn't exactly reckless, though. He was when Neclord showed up, which was understandable, but I think he knew when to take precautions and not go charging ahead. He didn't fight his way out of Gregminster or into Grady's mansion - he used trickery!

By the way, did you notice that Culgan got sent on his own to invite Riou and Theresa to the "treaty"? Jowy and Leon must have thought Seed would blurt out something he wasn't supposed to.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:Viktor wasn't exactly reckless, though. He was when Neclord showed up, which was understandable, but I think he knew when to take precautions and not go charging ahead. He didn't fight his way out of Gregminster or into Grady's mansion - he used trickery!

By the way, did you notice that Culgan got sent on his own to invite Riou and Theresa to the "treaty"? Jowy and Leon must have thought Seed would blurt out something he wasn't supposed to.

Yeah but no secret comment when you had him in your convoy :(

I really wonder why Leon didn't came by himself as he did before the battle of Luca if you've managed to save Ridley :?:
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

F#ck it, I'm gonna include Eurum Barows as a favourite villain. We don't often see comical villains who end up being the butt of the game's jokes, but I actually like how he overdoes everything - his posturing and flourishing in front of the royal family, and later on when he tries to act like a hero to the people of Sable, and I like when he's posing as the fortune teller during the quest for Alhazred's tome, his dialogue is so long winded and over the top, it's like he's a piss take on all foppish RPG characters. I've never recruited him as an SOD and I don't think I ever will because the reward for forgiving him just doesn't seem high enough, but I do enjoy his performances throughout the game.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Yeah, and as a reward for this entertainment I always recruit him. I've no need for anything that stupid Eresh has to offer.