Are all the True Runes Equal in power?

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Are all the True Runes Equal in power?

Post by suiko2fan2 »

All i have ever read when this topic comes up in other threads are people's lame references such as "I heard from someone" or "I think that" or "I read somewhere" when it comes to assertion about the the 27 true runes are equal in power, they just express it differently or it depends on the will/power of the bearer or other comments along those lines. And while those maybe factors i don't think they can negate the former idea that some of the true runes might be stronger than others. Because, as far as in game goes the evidence a lot of the time seems to be contrary to the idea of all being equal. I mean the Rune of Beginning through its 2 aspects, kept the Beast Rune at bay for long time (via Jowy's part of the rune) and resisted the Blue Moon most power magic attack of a 100 blood sacrifice according to Neclord (via Riou's half). Why would Windy be only after the Souleater. She could have easily got another true rune if their all the same in str. Yes, at some level i am sure someone will say "well the nature of the souleater appeals to her evil personality" blah blah..at some level yes, but more realistically i think she is attracted to power, and feels the souleater is seemly more powerful than most given its ability to harvest other ppl souls. And who could forget Leknaat's famous line which has been debated as much as the day is long, being that the sun rune has shown itself to be especially powerful even among the true runes. etc etc

So summarizing my rant, unless someone can show me a quote/statement from Konami, Yoshitaka Murayama, or some official magna or other document, i see no reason to believe the assumption/rumor that all trues runes are equal when aleast the in-gameplay seems to suggest a few might hold the potential for more power.
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
Antimatzist

Re: Are all the True Runes Equal in power?

Post by Antimatzist »

Of course it's based on speculation, you will not find any source that says "This True Rune is the strongest" or something like that. Especially considering that "power" is not easily comparable.

Take the Sun Rune and the True Fire Rune. The first can bring life by the Sun, but also take it (see Lordlake). But it's not like it has destroyed immediately, but it was a process that took time. The True Fire Rune destroyed a huge part of the Harmonian Army (and the Grassland). So which is more powerful?

Every True Rune has its powers that cannot be compared imo. I'd say the True Elemental Runes aren't show a spowerful, ut having control of one of the five powers is pretty great I'd say. I don't know if it's in the game, but in the manga, Luc can use the True Wind Rune to change the air pressure around some people and Sasarai summoned a giant earthquake. So it's safe to assume that with the True Water Rune you could easily induce a giant flood or something.

Or compare the Rune of Punishment and the Soul Eater. The first seems to draw its power frm the bearer's life, the second from people that are close to the bearer. But the first one is able to destroy whole fleets (unfortunately, we don't know how powerful the Rune is in its atonement phase). SO I don't really think that the Soul Eater is THAT powerful, at leats not in a war, and Windy just tried to get it because it was close.

We don't know that much about the power of other True Runes, unfortunately. The Night Rune is the only one that could kill a vampire, so it's pretty spezialized in what it can do. The Rune of Beginning - hell, no one knows its exact powers.

Do you watch/read One Piece? People get special powers there via Devil Fruits and you can't really say that there is a most powerful power. Some people can use fire, some people can use ice. The main character can turn his body into rubber which makes him invulnerable to bullets. I think this situation can be compared to the True Runes.

tl;dr: To your question: I don't think one can answer it. All True Runes seem to grant eternal life/youth and then each of them has a special power to it, most of these are unknown. If you're asking for a real proof, there is none, it's all speculation.
sticky-runes

Re: Are all the True Runes Equal in power?

Post by sticky-runes »

suiko2fan2 wrote: Why would Windy be only after the Souleater. She could have easily got another true rune if their all the same in str. Yes, at some level i am sure someone will say "well the nature of the souleater appeals to her evil personality" blah blah..at some level yes, but more realistically i think she is attracted to power, and feels the souleater is seemly more powerful than most given its ability to harvest other ppl souls.
Windy says at the end: "Even you reject me, Soul Eater. Even the most cursed rune refuses me."

This makes me think that perhaps Windy did try, and fail, to take other true runes during those 300 years, and came back to pursuing the soul eater. If she could have easily captured another true rune, but was still after the soul eater because it was more powerful as you say, then I would expect her to at least take another true rune to aid her in her quest to claim the soul eater. Well, she did have Neclord and Yuber helping her with their runes, and that wasn't enough to succeed her ultimate plan, so perhaps the soul eater is more powerful.

A lot of true runes seem to chose their host, so Windy probably thought the soul eater wouldn't be so picky about who claims it, and that it might even deem somebody as powerful as her worthy enough to use its power to its full potential. But it didn't accept her.

I don't know if any of this helps, but yeah, we have to go with speculation.