Suikogaiden: Effects of data transfer

A forum for questions and discussions about the Gaiden titles, Cardstories for the Gameboy Advance and the physical card game.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Suikogaiden: Effects of data transfer

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

There seems to be some confusion abound about what exactly this does, so here goes:

Suikoden II data does almost nothing for Vol.1, okay. The only thing that changes is that in a total of 3 scenes where the hero from II is either mentioned or speaks he will have the name you gave him in II. That's it, nothing else changes.

For Vol.2 however, it gets a little trickier.

Loading a Suikogaiden Vol.1 save into Vol.2 will you get access to one extra CG.
If that save also has Suikoden II data you'll get an additional 2 extra CG's plus the names of your Hero, Army and Castle will be used when they come up.
If the Suikoden II save had data from Suikoden you'll get 4 more extra CG's and the Hero will use the name he has in II.

And yes, you have to piggy-back the saves across the games, Suikogaiden Vol.2 will only accept data from Vol.1, you can't load data from Suikoden I or II directly. So you have to go in the order of Suikoden -> Suikoden II -> Suikogaiden Vol.1 -> Suikogaiden Vol.2 for it to work.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Antimatzist

Re: Suikogaiden: Effects of data transfer

Post by Antimatzist »

Thanks Raww. Do you maybe also know what loading a Suikogaiden save to Suikoden III does? (Of course, this only applies to the Japanese version)
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

To my knowledge, aside from carrying over the army and hero names from I&II it unlocks two newspaper articles that are related to Nash. Those are always on by default in the US version.
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

So, after seeing how S2 effects scenes in SG2...

Is there anybody out there with a save file they could loan me from S2 that has the names of all 4 things (S2 hero, army, castle, and S1 hero) with their default canon names?
- Kirkis
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Is there something wrong with the ones on suikosource?
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:Is there something wrong with the ones on suikosource?
Hmm... just loaded it up in a save game editor (which unfortunately won't let me resave the file after editing), I think the names all work, more or less...

Riou
TcDohl (I think that MIGHT convert to Tir in Suikogaiden, not sure.)
Dunan Castle
Orange Army (Not really canon, but whatever.)

Although I'm not sure how to load a .gme file onto the PSP, but that's something I'll have to figure out on my own I think.

EDIT: For anybody interested, it sounds like you have to convert the .gme file into a .mcr file. Then you need to load the file up into the PSX game on your PSP and resave it in order to make it a save file recognizable by the PSP. Which might mean I need to load the file up onto my PSP and make a save in the game to get the appropriately recognizable file type to import into my Suikogaiden game.

Alternatively, it might just be easier to convert from .gme to .mcr (if I even need to), start Suikogaiden on the PC, and import the Suikoden 2 data. Then take the PC file and load it up on my PSP using a third party app.

Regardless, just in case this causes anybody else a headache just to see these extra SG2 scenes, I'll be sure to submit my save file to Suikosource so they can start the game off with the canon names with no hassle.
- Kirkis