Some good RPGs that don't belong to a franchise

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Neclord X

Re: Some good RPGs that don't belong to a franchise

Post by Neclord X »

Lemmy Claypool wrote: To get the ball rolling, I recently started playing Lost Odyssey for the first time and I'm pretty impressed with it so far (I think I'm about 3/4 of the way through Disc 1). It seems very much like it could have been the next Final Fantasy after X I think. Feels to me like a bit of a spiritual successor. I also love reading Kaim's memories; these are a novel idea (no pun intended) and are very well written. A great relaxing excursion from the main game.
That's cause Lost Odyssey was created by one of the FF series main brain just after leaving $quare €nix.

About stand alone rpgs...but most that I can think of were already mentioned

-Legend of Dragoon is an small legend between rpg-addicts
-Legend of Legaia was incredibly fun (it had a really bad sequel though)
-Vagrant Story is one of the best games EVER
-Jade Cocoon, I think it had a sequel.
-Chrono Crusade is a MUST
-Kodelka, a bit slow for my taste but still I remember it
-Mushashi (was an action RPG for ps2)
-Dark CLoud for ps2 was kind of fun too and it had a sequel
-The world end with you for DS
-Radiant Historia, for DS was really awesome.

I'm pretty sure I played lot more, since during psx times I only played rpgs, fighting games and survival horrors (that's how I discovered suikoden) and during ps2 times only fighting games and rpgs. But that's all that I remember right now, I'm pretty sure more will come to my mind later.
suiken

Post by suiken »

Correction, Musashi was an action RPG for the PSX. The PS2 title was it's sequel
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

Koudelka still belongs to Shadow Hearts series although the link isnt very strong.
Jade Cocoon 2 is on PS2 but seems to have much more light heart moments than the original game, just another pokemon game to me.
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

suiken wrote:Correction, Musashi was an action RPG for the PSX. The PS2 title was it's sequel
True.
Punkaiser wrote:Koudelka still belongs to Shadow Hearts series although the link isnt very strong.
I knew it had similar elements and part of the koudelka team was involved in first Shadow Hearts but didn't know it were actually part of the same saga. Liked a lot shadow hearts BTW, but 3 kind of spoiled the series, no dark feeling any more.

I just remembered Shin Megami Tensei: Devil summoner, yes technically is part of SMT franchise but the two titles of Devil Summoner are someway standalone inside the series. The first one wasn't very good to say the truth, but raidou kuzunoha vs king abaddon was really nice and totally worth of playing
killerslime

Post by killerslime »

suiken wrote:I'd like to mention Alundra. Some may call it a Zelda rip-off but it's a great game. The puzzle is kinda challenging and it's quite action packed.
Yes Suiken! It was a great feeling beating this beast of game back in the days of internet walkthroughs. Lars Crypt was a place i spent a lot of wasted days in. And it doesn't really belong to a franchise as Alundra 2 never happened in my opinion. Check out Landstalker if you liked this game its available on the wii store. Alundra is Landstalker's spiritual successor you even play as the same character sprite but his name is Nigel...
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

Neclord X wrote: I knew it had similar elements and part of the koudelka team was involved in first Shadow Hearts but didn't know it were actually part of the same saga. Liked a lot shadow hearts BTW, but 3 kind of spoiled the series, no dark feeling any more.
yea, I agree that the loss of horror theme is a big issue for SH3 but in term of gameplay it's much more refined than SH1 and SH2.