Koluuk Region

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
suiken

Koluuk Region

Post by suiken »

I'm confused why on earth Koluuk region was not absorbed as a region in the Island Nations after they obliterated the Koluuk empire. I'm surprised how big that region is. It's even bigger than the whole Island Nation combined. The federation should have taken it as part of their country just like Dunan took the Higheast region.

Gaien could have been also part of the country if not for the lazy programmers.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: Koluuk Region

Post by patapi »

Higheast used to be part of Jowston, so it wasn't a surprising outcome.

On the other hand, the Island Nations seems to not be interested in expanding into other territories. Scarlet Moon presumably has greater interests to take over what's left of Kooluk though.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Is there any offical explanation of what happened in Kooluk after Tactics? Was the monarchy disbanded but a republic instituted? Did Scarlet Moon or some other nearby nation annex the territory? Did it split up into smaller component states? Did it degenerate into an unincorporated wasteland where the individual towns governed themselves with no central authority whatsoever? Or did everyone who lived there just say "now's a good time to visit my great aunt in Kanakan" and just move away?

In the modern world, a government saying "we're disbanding the government and dismantling this country as a political unit ... go on with your lives" would result in a pretty nasty series of civil wars and general unpleasantness. Kooluk just quietly faded away? Seems unlikely.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Corselia explains that all the Kooluk towns were either abandoned or absorbed into the Scarlet Moon empire. It was her father or grandfather's dying wish that she let the royal family fade away and leave the people to fend for themselves, which is why she took to traveling in disguise so that nobody would recognize her as their princess and ask her to help them. Kind of like Jillia moving away and assuming a new name so that the blight family came to an end. I assume Ornela and Busk also started new lives, without any connection to their royal bloodline.

Kooluk was already suffering after they were beaten by the Island Nations, because all trade was cut off from the islands. Princess Flare felt sorry for a lot of the Kooluk people when she saw what they were going through, so you never know, she might have done a bit of good will charity work for some of the people who abandoned their homes.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

wataru14 wrote:In the modern world, a government saying "we're disbanding the government and dismantling this country as a political unit ... go on with your lives" would result in a pretty nasty series of civil wars and general unpleasantness. Kooluk just quietly faded away? Seems unlikely.
Well, with a bit of luck Greece will do that soon and we'll have the answer.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Don't forget that a lot of people including soldiers and orphans were turned into fish monsters and destroyed. Others turned to banditry. Kyril and co. probably wiped out half the Kooluk population during their rune cannon investigation any way.
suiken

Post by suiken »

They could just simply occupy the area with or without the original residence of Kooluk. Some Villages throughout the series are destroyed only to be rebuild after the war. Since the Federations are the one that conquered the empire, they have right to take it's land.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Since the Islanders are adept at trade and warfare on the high seas, they probably didn't want any mainland regions like Gaien or Kooluk, so expanded their territories over other waters (we saw Nirva Island in suikoden 5 which was never in 4 or Tactics, so they must have expanded at some point)

At the end of Suikoden 2, Shu did briefly mention the possibility that the Island Nations and other countries might want to start moving in on Highland and the State now that they had been tearing chunks out of each other, but since Konami haven't given us any more suikoden games since 5, there's no telling what the Islanders have been up to in all that time.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

suiken wrote:They could just simply occupy the area with or without the original residence of Kooluk. Some Villages throughout the series are destroyed only to be rebuild after the war. Since the Federations are the one that conquered the empire, they have right to take it's land.
No one conquered the empire. Kyril has gone on an undercover mission (even though Lino joined him... well, I replay the game now and see what his excuse is) and, well, the royal family just died out/didn't want to go on. The Island Nations wouldn't need the land; they've just become a united state anyway and I'm sure still have internal struggles.

On the other hand, the SME has a high interest in the former Kooluk-area. It has direct connection to the island nations, is a prosper land and it doesn't take a lot of effort to take the country after its lost war and the loss of their royal family.

@Raww: Yip, I wonder all the time what'll happen. My best bet is that nothing'll happen at all and everything just goes on as it used to be. ^^
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Antimatzist wrote: The Island Nations wouldn't need the land; they've just become a united state anyway and I'm sure still have internal struggles.
Exactly. The Islanders have spent ages living isolated from each other, not trusting each other, and so once the Federation was established, it would have taken them a while to get used to dealing with each other. They wouldn't straight away just say "Hey, lets go and take the Kooluk lands for ourselves!" when they had only just started an alliance. they had no designs for conquering any new lands at the time.
ralphyu

Post by ralphyu »

Good thing. No war happened between scarlet moon empire and island nations during hundred of years past before the establishment of toran republic,And i also think that kooluk will serve as border between them.
~To defy Me is to defy the Sun~ Arsthat Falena
AlOnZo

Post by AlOnZo »

I reckon a majority of the population would have fled the chaos that ensued. Perhaps defecting to SME and the Island Nations, the latter maybe being a bit of a long shot. The land itself would break into factions as mentioned, going the way of the Grasslands and its tribes.
ralphyu

Post by ralphyu »

I'm still thinking why the empire dissolved. I think Corselia can lead their nation to prosper.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

ralphyu wrote:I'm still thinking why the empire dissolved. I think Corselia can lead their nation to prosper.
What makes you think an 11 year old girl would be a fit leader? I mean they could have established a republic or something, but still...
ralphyu

Post by ralphyu »

Yeah, I also think of that a while ago, the empire wont survive, other nation, especially, Scarlet Moon Empire will take advantage of what happened on their country. Oh... Ornela and Busk were there, right? They might worked together to build the empire, but still.... Not enough imperial power to defend the country. I dunno if Corselia knew what is happening to the empire, poverty, famine, and the voice of their citizen. All of them were not heard....