"PSP the Best" edition available

A forum for questions and discussions about the PSP game roughly translated as "The Woven Web of a Century"
Antimatzist

"PSP the Best" edition available

Post by Antimatzist »

(quoted from this Sikoden Fb group)

Genso Suikoden Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki has been re-released in Japan as part of the "The Best" series, the equivalent to the Greatest Hits or Platinum budget re-releases overseas. This would indicate that the title sold at least over 100,000 copies in Japan.

Still no word on an overseas release. After 10 months, I'd say it's looking quite unlikely.

The source is somewhere on the Konami site which doesn't work correctly atm for me. The twitter accound says something about the Best, too.

Ah, here it is: http://www.konamistyle.jp/item/72138
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: "PSP the Best" edition available

Post by patapi »

Well done, Tsumuji.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Seems like Sony has dropped all unit requirements for games to hit The Best re-releases, so I wouldn't count this as a sign it sold over 250K copies. Still, it's quite the achievement.
Formerly known as: Gothann
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

So the sales of the original release doesn't matter anymore? That's a downer.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

if it so 'best'.... why don't they try releasing it to other countries :(
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

It probably has more to do with the fact that PSP is dead elsewhere, than actual sales figures of the game?

One more reason to stay away from Vita.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Who knows how this stuff is even supposed to work anymore.

Suikoden had a Playstation the Best release but Suikoden II didn't even though it's the best selling title.
Suikoden IV and V had Playstation2 the Best releases but Suikoden III didn't even though it outsold both of them.

Instead they got "Konami the Best" releases, which is just Konamis own rebranding to confuse the issue along with the low sellers Suikoden Tactics, Suikogaiden and Suikoden I&II for the PSP. If there's supposed to be a correlation between "PlaystationX The Best" and sales I'm missing it.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
kenshindono

Post by kenshindono »

*sigh* wish i had the guts to take a gamble on importing this. Unlike Suikoden II which i figure i can kinda figure out since ive played it a bunch this would be damn near impossible playing without any knowledge of Japanese =(
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

kenshindono wrote:*sigh* wish i had the guts to take a gamble on importing this. Unlike Suikoden II which i figure i can kinda figure out since ive played it a bunch this would be damn near impossible playing without any knowledge of Japanese =(
I've read a short review on Destructiod that says you can play this with no language knowledge. Of course, you'll miss all the story, lol. :D
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

I'm actually kinda glad this isn't set for a worldwide release. I'd rather see Konami use that money to re-release the older games throughout digital distribution. Or Suikoden VI.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

That is assuming that they won't be making more money from an English release that could then be channeled for those other purposes.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

I think that is how Konami view it. I think their best option would be just to translate the text but keep the Japanese voice acting and/or release it as a download only game overseas.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Most people see games with OVA as being better than with English VA, so that should be great. (Personally, I don't mind English VA, but in every game I can I use the OVA)

Being download-only would work fine, releasing it for PSP and PS Vita, too, and.. that's it. I doubt there needs to be done much more and it still could be profitable (even though just a little).

I doubt that they'll release it here anytime, though, but who know. Some games get a Western release years after its original release date (Inazuma Eleven, e.g.). Maybe Konami wants to wait if the Vita will be more successful than the PSP in the West and ake their decision based on that, who knows.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Yeah I much prefer the OVA but that's not to say English voice acting can't be done right (Metal Gear Solid?).

I think its probably part of Konami's business strategy with this game not to release it outside of Japan. But who knows, maybe in time? Didn't Teirkreis completely bomb outside of Japan though? I'd be very hesitant about Konami spending revenue releasing this game overseas if that was the case.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

It depends on what you consider bombing outside of Japan. Tierkreis didn't appear in NPD, so that's something.

Thing is, with the horrible amount of game units being sold on PSP and Vita outside of Japan, don't expect Konami to ever localize this game.
Formerly known as: Gothann