What's the best physical damage dealer party?

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
Antimatzist

Re: What's the best physical damage dealer party?

Post by Antimatzist »

Sasarai10 wrote:
Punkaiser wrote:No, it's you who's overrating continuous attacks. By using powerful setups, every boss battle from mid game will be done in one turn and most of the time before the enemies act at all. How comes it's considerred strong if it takes 3-4 turns?

Sorry Punkaiser but i wonder why you always stating that every battle in Suikoden should last one turn?
You sound like it's the most normal thing for you to finish the battles in 1 turn whilst for me and many others it's really a challenge especially during the final battles.

I think it's not needed...i wouldn't mind if it lasts 2 or 3 turns.... unless you've put a handicap to yourself to finish all the battles in one turn.

Although some battles are impossible to be finished in one turn,honestly. Do you really think that the battles early in the game,where your choices are limited,could be finished in 1 turn,like the Stone Golem in the Mountain Path during Geddoe's chapter #1?
Yeah, or you're trying to find the best physical damage dealers of the game. ;)
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

just want to point out that early game when Chris and Nash team up, they usually have some other party members like Rhett/Wilder or Fred/Rico. in both cases, Nash doesn't contribute too much. I'm not even sure if he can reach level 43 to unlock Continual Attack that early, but if you were grinding with either party to max his skills, then by that time Chris and Rhett or Fred would be so powerful you would rarely see Nash do anything useful... I just don't see Cont. Attack ever really contributing to a battle unless you are working with an underdeveloped party late game (but somehow maxed out those underdeveloped characters' Cont. Atk skill)
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

I too have noticed that continual attack is not really a reliable source of added damage. It doesn't always happen, and it assumes there is something to attack at the end of one round, which with the right party late game, will be pretty much never. I think you'll also end up finding that three of the other characters with continual attack are able to outperform Nash in physical damage to begin with. These characters are Lucia, Juan, and Joker, who are able to put out more damage either from having more rune slots, more attacks, or better skills in some combination.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Hey....don't understimate Nash. Of course there are better characters than him,but he is very useful if you decide to play the game with only the non-optional charaters,especially in the final battle with Sarah. He is very agile,and he can take off the Azodess early if you are lucky.

I've used him in my last playthrough in the same battle,when i was trying to finish the game with only the non-optional characters.
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

KFCrispy wrote:just want to point out that early game when Chris and Nash team up, they usually have some other party members like Rhett/Wilder or Fred/Rico. in both cases, Nash doesn't contribute too much. I'm not even sure if he can reach level 43 to unlock Continual Attack that early, but if you were grinding with either party to max his skills, then by that time Chris and Rhett or Fred would be so powerful you would rarely see Nash do anything useful... I just don't see Cont. Attack ever really contributing to a battle unless you are working with an underdeveloped party late game (but somehow maxed out those underdeveloped characters' Cont. Atk skill)

Admittingly, I'm basing my continual attack affection on watching Juan do it when I go around and 2-man Treasure bosses. It's fun, and it does add *something* to the argument.

Another character I'd like to throw out there that will undeniably get shot down pretty fast is Wan Fu. Same number of swings as Chris and Borus, and also has Heavy Damage like those two, but he has the strength of a Lizard SoD as well as good weapon damage relative to swords. And he's the only classic Suikoden Bo Staff wielder in the entire army, if I recall correctly.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

No doubt Nash is a awesome dude, just saying he isn't a top tier damage dealer.

as for Wan Fu, the three reasons he doesn't get picked up often are, his accuracy, his speed, his defense, and only having one rune slot. He is a lot like Leo with regards to the first two. combining them means that he is can often be denied doing any damage, because he cannot reach a target(or there may not be one left by the time he moves), or misses when he does reach a target. His defense is absolutely horrid, and even at an S in adrenaline power, he cannot be relied upon to survive. You can negotiate some of these problems with skills, but with only 4 free slots, and in need of swing, accuracy, damage, holy dash, armor protect and magic resistance, you cannot fix all of them. and then you have the issue of only one rune slot, which immediately puts him at a disadvantage over anyone that can equip two runes.

the supposed benefits of his strength are misleading. Yes, he has high base strength, however if you check his weapon actually only develops as a one handed sword. Borus, who you compare him to, has the exact same high base strength, the same weapon, and better damage and heavy damage skills, plus is faster and better armored, so he is going to be able to do more damage automatically. The high strength stat is also not that unusual either, about 25% of the playable characters have it; and in fact once you sort through all of them,Borus, Cecile, Emily, Fred, Gau, Geddoe, and Juan all produce better amounts of damage than Wan Fu, and have the same base strength as him. So having a high base strength in itself isn't that important.

What matters is a complete package of stats, skills, unites, and most importantly, free rune slots. there are lots of characters with one or two great or interesting facets to work with, and they are great for trying out new and odd things, but when it comes to strickly doing a ton of damage, they do not compete with those that have a full array of things working for them.