Suikoden Card Stories translated

A forum for questions and discussions about the Gaiden titles, Cardstories for the Gameboy Advance and the physical card game.
Pokeytax

Suikoden Card Stories translated

Post by Pokeytax »

Hey guys! It looks like someone has finally translated this! The current build looks only about 75% finished, as there are still a lot of bugs and some save corruption issues, so it might be better to wait, but it's entertaining to fiddle around with anyway. The patch is here.
Last edited by Pokeytax on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: Suikoden Card Stories translated

Post by Pyriel »

Did you just Rickroll backwards? The 129 KB PPF file is a nice touch. For all I know, it's real, but it was probably made by patching aprilfool.jpg with rickastley.jpg.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I do not know why he picked April 1st for this, nor why he says it's a link to a trailer and then send you to a ppf file, but it does appear to be genuine.

I won't swear that it doesn't rickroll you later in the story but it starts like that at least. But if it does, it's damn elaborate.

It's some sort of reverse April Fool's joke.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Ok, WHAT? This definitely works for the beginning of the game (I know am in Toto). It's a bit broken sometimes, but WOW. I can play it, understand the rules and know what is going on.

At first, I thought this was just some April fool, but...

... how is this even possible? There is no trace of a Card Stories Patch to be found anywhere in the web. Where is this from????
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

The text of the link is a rickroll. I'd be very impressed if someone could work a Rickroll into a Gameboy Advance game. Well, an actual, animated sequence anyway. If you just make a sprite of the video frame and stick the lyrics under it, good on you, I guess.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Pyriel wrote:The text of the link is a rickroll. I'd be very impressed if someone could work a Rickroll into a Gameboy Advance game. Well, an actual, animated sequence anyway. If you just make a sprite of the video frame and stick the lyrics under it, good on you, I guess.
Fortunate German me is not allowed to get rickrolled on yt... :D
Pokeytax

Post by Pokeytax »

This is now just as incomplete and sloppy, but much less likely to crash. You should still keep a ton of save states if you're playing it, though.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

uh what? so this is a working 75% english translation that sends you to that infamous youtube video at some point???
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

No, it's a working 75% english translation but when it was first posted the link was physically that of a youtube video but the hypertext actually sent you to the file. It's since been edited though so the conversation doesn't make much sense.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Pokeytax

Post by Pokeytax »

Yeah, it now has a romhacking.net entry, it's just an ordinary translation I released on April Fool's Day for kicks. I am changing the link to point there.

That said, the current version crashes before the title screen because I'm an idiot, and I'm in the process of reverting to a previous version and reposting it.

The 75% may be misleading: almost all game text is translated, and I've played it through to the credits, but only about 75% of display issues are fixed and the translation needs a second pass. I have not widely publicized it yet because I'd like to have a near-perfect build first, but feel free to play it if you're okay with some issues.
I am amazing

Post by I am amazing »

Pyriel wrote:The text of the link is a rickroll. I'd be very impressed if someone could work a Rickroll into a Gameboy Advance game. Well, an actual, animated sequence anyway. If you just make a sprite of the video frame and stick the lyrics under it, good on you, I guess.
I've done the music before, an animation would be pretty difficult though. SCS is also pretty annoying to hack the music for.

The game itself isn't too hard to play without a translation, but it sure is weird. You gotta reference a lot of stuff online. So a translation patch sounds nice! Unfortunately I own the game as an hard copy so it won't help me there, hahaha. I'll have to test this out sometime soon.
Ack! Ook! Randomly generated creepy Yuber on the top of the screen!
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Who did your midi arrangement? It's pretty good quality, and probably more appropriate to the game than any of the first ten hits for "rickroll midi" or "'never gonna give you up' midi".
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Pokeytax that's great to hear! if you have a working version available we can definitely announce this to make it better known. i doubt most people even visit this section since they don't have the games.
Pokeytax

Post by Pokeytax »

KFCrispy wrote:Pokeytax that's great to hear! if you have a working version available we can definitely announce this to make it better known. i doubt most people even visit this section since they don't have the games.
I appreciate the thought! However, I have avoided publicizing it so far. At the moment, it is merely possible to reach the end. There are a lot of crashes, display bugs, mistranslations, and broken sidequests. Before telling more people about it, I'm working behind the scenes to produce a better version, so people don't have a bad experience. We certainly wouldn't want to besmirch the Suikoden name by releasing a game with untranslated Japanese text, serious bugs, and uncollectable recipes.

Seriously, though! I'm not putting you under a gag order or anything, but I think most fans are better served by waiting for a better version. I do have a build-in-progress that improves on the current version, so if you want to link to an unfinished version, waiting a few days for that would be the way to go.
Pokeytax

Post by Pokeytax »

Version 0.80 released: if you stay away from the Restaurant and Recipe system (which IMO is pointless anyway) you might be able to squeak through with zero crashes now. Still plenty of room for improvement.

I am trying to decide what standard to push this to before considering it "complete" - it is a niche title and I have other things I would like to work on (plus Suikogaiden soon, hooray!). A lot of the errors at this point are distracting, but transitory and don't at all impact gameplay. Maybe I will make a second pass on the script, try repairing the ending sequence so that New Game + can be accessed, and call it a day.