NEW SUIKODEN ANNOUNCED BY KONAMI!!! (9-17-2011)

A forum for questions and discussions about the PSP game roughly translated as "The Woven Web of a Century"
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: NEW SUIKODEN ANNOUNCED BY KONAMI!!! (9-17-2011)

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Remember the promos for any of the previous SUikoden games? Exactly.
I remember the Suikoden II demo that came with Vandal Hearts II. I also remember the full page ad that proclaimed "Suikoden means War". Other than that I'm drawing a blank.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Iirc there was also a Suikoden ad on the back of the Vandal Hearts manual, but I could be wrong.
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

The fact that we have to think this hard only to come up with so little proves my point. For as much as we love Suikoden, Konami has spend little time getting the media excited. I bet people like Raww, Celes, as well as other members that have been writing guides/translations/working on fixes/being members of the community as a whole than a lot of members at Konami have.

In comparison, look how much Squaresoft did with releases like VII, VIII and IX and then onwards on the PS2, etc. Sure, being Square, you already generate media just for being, but they didn't get this attention for sitting idle twiddling thumbs. How about Capcom and almost all their releases? Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Mega Man and so on. Sure, different companies, different policies. Fair enough, Konami? Metal Gear Solid? Pro Evolution Soccer? Castlevania? Let's not forget "THE REBOOT". Silent Hill?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Oh, sure. I agree that they advertise way too little, but that also lends us an idea of just how little faith they've had in the brand. They also make very bad decisions. Just the fact that the demo for Suikoden II came with Vandal Hearts is a bit weird. Sure, I get the logic, "you like this RPG so here's another!" but in Japan the demo came with Metal Gear Solid, just think of the exposure it would have had if it came with MGS in Europe as well.
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

That and the fact to not release a game within a week's time of a heavily anticipated title such as Kingdom Hearts II, only to repeat the feat with Dissidia: Final Fantasy. As you mentioned, imagine how many people could have played the demo had it been included with MGS. Plenty of gaming mags also hand out demo discs, I don't recall any of them being on there either. What about E3? Game Expo?

With V though, I think the bad sales was caused by a variety of issues. First of all, the poor reviews on Suikoden IV which a lot of people bought after the success of the first three games and also the lack of any media exposure and the fact that it was overshadowed by Kingdom Hearts II. Heck, a mate of mine didn't realise Suikoden V was released until two months later. Sure, it could be his lack of looking up, but if you frequent games websites and none of them mention it, because they're all about Kingdom Hearts II, it is easy to see why.

Either way, Konami had no real reason to doubt Suikoden. The first three titles were met with good reviews and the only thing hampering the sales were Konami's lack of promotion and the fact that the games were released in limited quantities to begin with. Maybe they just doubt themselves, resulting in some poor decisions. I mean, they don't have to go all out on the E3 saying: "HERE IS SUIKODEN VI, ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!" But if we saw last year's (or the year before, whichever) press conference... /facepalm. "Here is N3 2! Yay! Applaude, please" *clap* *clap* *clap*

Bandai Namco spends more time promoting Ridge Racer, a launch title for new platforms. Gee, Konami. Step it up.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Piisuke wrote:What about E3? Game Expo?
Suikoden II, III and IV were shown, III was playable even, at E3 their respective years. Don't know about V or Tactics but quick google search suggests no.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

I'd like to point out yet again that there was a full set of live-action commercials for Suikoden IV and a few 15 second spots for Suikoden Tierkreis.

Then again, it's not like promotion would definitely net more interest. Look at Gravity Daze, which had ginormous billboards and still sold less than this game on launch week.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

I remember a 10 minute video of Suikoden IV, but other than that, I'm drawing blanks. You'd think they put more effort in it. They don't hold back with MGS. Sure, it is their flagship IP, but they're not short of creativity.
I've said in the past, they got Kojima. Use his talents. He didn't mind helping out on Lords of Shadow. Surely he has spare time to help out on a Suikoden title. From the way Konami has handled everything, including release dates, it looks like their marketing team is run by monkeys. Heck, Suikoden II was released in the US in the same week of Resident Evil 3 and Homeworld. The former being the anticipated sequel to RE2 and Homeworld branded game of the year... I mean, really?
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Suikoden V had a full page ad in a Game Informer Magazine that I can recall distinctly. I remember it because I remember thinking that it was unusual for Konami to promote Suikoden like that.
Belle

Post by Belle »

I vaguely recall a Suikoden IV demo in a magazine (I remember because this influenced my team member selection for the hero's knight party early on)... other than that... not much on the North American side.
suikostinger

Post by suikostinger »

Speaking of members doing translations and the such, has anyone translated this item?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320858062777?ss ... 1497.l2649

I got him to lower the shipping down to 10 dollars.

I bought this along with

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380413928574?ss ... 1497.l2649

The first item has A LOT of Japanese written in it. I was wondering if anyone has translated it. As for the second, it would be nice to translate that but it's 90% just pictures which is awesome. If no one has translated it, does ANYONE know of a way I can get it translated? I was thinking of scanning it and trying to copy and paste it but It will be a jpeg, picture file, so that will be impossible.......
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Piisuke wrote:Heck, Suikoden II was released in the US in the same week of Resident Evil 3 and Homeworld. The former being the anticipated sequel to RE2 and Homeworld branded game of the year... I mean, really?
You can't hold Homeworld up as a "bad planning" problem when the game was a brand new IP. There's no excuse for Resident Evil 3, though.
Formerly known as: Gothann
kratoscar2008

New Suikodenfor PSP (Japan only)

Post by kratoscar2008 »

How come that this hasnt been brought up?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbbco7Te ... ure=relmfu

I dont like that the MC talks but Suikoden is Suikoden. Sadly i dont think it will see the light outside japan.
Antimatzist

Re: New Suikodenfor PSP (Japan only)

Post by Antimatzist »

You might want to check out the rest of the board, there is a sub-forum dedicated only to this new game.
http://suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=69
kratoscar2008

Re: New Suikodenfor PSP (Japan only)

Post by kratoscar2008 »

Antimatzist wrote:You might want to check out the rest of the board, there is a sub-forum dedicated only to this new game.
http://suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=69
Yes sorry new here :)