108 Stars of Destiny [spoilers]

A forum for questions and discussions about the PSP game roughly translated as "The Woven Web of a Century"
bonbon

Re: 108 Stars of Destiny [spoilers]

Post by bonbon »

patapi wrote: If you are wondering about star assignments, you can cross-reference with an English listing (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/108_Stars_ ... uikoden%29), as the ordering of these screenshots are from left to right, then top to bottom. For example, from the top:
- Tenkai is the main character (named MCDOHL here, no comment)
- Tengou is to his right. The Scale Horde leader, Jagwan
- Next is Tenki, Regius
- And the row ends with Tenkan, Zephon
- So on and so forth
thanks!

I hope the characters stick to the concepts of the previous stars for example the stars of alen and greansel, camus and miklotov, rahal and roog and others being duo knights. I think Zephon is a powerful magician which fits the Luc /Zeraze/Ted Star but his missing the tsundere attitude LOL!

I have just started playing it by the way and it was all so nostalgic, the start where you name the character and the end of each battle and the running of a certain character on the loading screen. so happy :D

but there is the very very large language barrier :(
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Zephon isn't tsundere, but he is a smug little brat, haha. I like him.

Torwad and Rolph are pretty boys, just like all the other characters who share their stars. Zephon seems to be connected to the Tablet of Promise. Sunil, Ephil, and Ristil are a trio, like those who share their stars. Of course, Regius is the Tenki star, which is always reserved for the strategist. Myura shares a star with Gremio, Lyon, and Marica, all of whom are close to the Tenkai star. Yoful is the Chichin star, the star of narcissists.

Because of the way the game works, a lot of characters from the past didn't really match up with their stars that I could see. But some did.
Last edited by Rachael on Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"F*** you, I'm a goat." -Yohn
kelvingarinkz

Post by kelvingarinkz »

is there list that specify which roles each character contribute? like teach battle skills, items, etc
kelvin loves suikoden
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

The game does well by playing the nostalgia card up to a point. Even with the dinner skits, I find it funny that they let you walk around various other fortresses featured in the game including the one that became your eventual HQ, but once it is officially the HQ, it's off limits. Not funny.

The star assignments are relatively spot-on for a majority of them, I suppose, but you will notice they tried too hard with Yoful. And, of course, one do need to get over the shift towards having shopkeepers as Ten-stars, when previously there are rarely among the first third of the tablet.

I suppose if anyone needs specific recruitment help (or other character-specific questions), do consider asking here, unless anyone feels like drafting standalone guides. I couldn't even get past translating the names, which are actual real-life names and yet rather uncommon, like Tserendulam and Gombosuren.
Silfan

Post by Silfan »

ricy22 wrote:anyone have a guild or walktrough this game..??
im really2 confuse with char in this game...is so hard to get it..
coz i read a silfan guild "how to get char" but if we dont know a original name(at japan word) is so confused...hahaha
tq...
For this game, I don't think walkthrough is necessary, coz every destination is marked with flag and the maps are all so small so you can check every corner in like 2 minutes max or so.
You'll probably only need walkthrough for characters' recruitment.

For my list, I mostly directly translates the sound from kana to romaji letter to letter.
You can try reading the character's names http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katakana.
For name of place with kanji, you can kind of match it with character names recruited at the place.
Just to be safe though, the translation of characters' name according to patapi pictures:

Hero Jaguwan Regius Zephon
Gonbosuren Zavido Bohrudon Moudi
Myura Lascaris Ryuseri Yudiera
Ducas Tserendoram Sharufu Forne
Wuyaa Ermione Cadmus Gijerigaa
Numistro Uttsue Nido Jansen
Gino Iria Sunil Guwainii
Efiru Buuturuuga Risutiru Noderi
Meamei Byorun Rurusa Najin

Maximos Rodrick Orumaaru Astrid
Radneen Mazarika Nima Toruwado
Rolf Daguzumu Neisa Woogu
Yandakku Badamhatan Heidoreku Zomujin
Gohse Sorabu Seo-Jin Kiaro
Odo Muuee Shirudisu Sou-Jin
Yuyudoraya Satiyaka Furidika Nikunba
Sau-Jin Ingorufu Yuugu Mozuromasu
Nuuma Ufureddo Nolbanos Berenike
Deereeri Siu-Jin Enhebato Torimarukio
Kureion Kauriya Chikura Yofuuru
Ruujin Kuukabura Nelvan Kerishiusu
Lehte Yaguas Chamujin Suu-Jin
Rakuira Wahn Eerin Tarashio
Hortensius Biiaaga Gereru Mephitis
Domitia Berta Wafudi Amory
Miriel Perujido Pollock Mezuwaru
Narishuya Youin Mudogara Ketiru

Disclaimer: I definitely don't think this name translation is even half right, not really familiar with all these strange names ...
Note: I did this just by glancing at patapi post, so it might not even be the same name as on my list :)
I have also finished my list ^_^
kelvingarinkz wrote:is there list that specify which roles each character contribute? like teach battle skills, items, etc
My list does contain role of each character, thought the skill detail itself is very lacking ><
Last edited by Silfan on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonbon

Post by bonbon »

patapi wrote:I suppose if anyone needs specific recruitment help (or other character-specific questions), do consider asking here, unless anyone feels like drafting standalone guides. I couldn't even get past translating the names, which are actual real-life names and yet rather uncommon, like Tserendulam and Gombosuren.
I have a question, is picking between choices affect character recruitment or the flow of the game? I might pick the wrong choice and cut someone's head off LOL!
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

bonbon wrote:
patapi wrote:I suppose if anyone needs specific recruitment help (or other character-specific questions), do consider asking here, unless anyone feels like drafting standalone guides. I couldn't even get past translating the names, which are actual real-life names and yet rather uncommon, like Tserendulam and Gombosuren.
I have a question, is picking between choices affect character recruitment or the flow of the game? I might pick the wrong choice and cut someone's head off LOL!
No. Your choices don't have any impact on the game. The only exceptions are which characters you want to inherit a new skill, and that doesn't really matter.

Silfan, I'm curious as to how you got some of the romanizations of those names. Did you feed them into a translator, or type them into Google?
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Aren't some of those names straightforward transliteration of their original kana?

For better or worse, no recruits are missable this time. No more Namna-like frustration.
Silfan

Post by Silfan »

Rachael wrote:
bonbon wrote:
No. Your choices don't have any impact on the game. The only exceptions are which characters you want to inherit a new skill, and that doesn't really matter.

Silfan, I'm curious as to how you got some of the romanizations of those names. Did you feed them into a translator, or type them into Google?
I just translate straight from kana to romaji letter to letter coz I have no clue about some of those name.
I did not use google or other translator lol. Just fyi, I did learn Japanese in class for like 1.5 years around 3-4 years ago.
My level is around JLPT 4(is it JLPT 5 now?), so while it is not enough to understand the story, direct translation of kana is ok.
Probably you have some better alternatives for translation of some of those names?
I would be happy to change if some of you have suggestions. :)
bonbon

Post by bonbon »

its good to know that there arent any missable characters, I kinda panicked when Meamei didn't join me earlier.

what about stores/houses in the HQ? like Jino's and the others' houses and also the bridge at the top left? what do they do?
I kinda grasp the Jino's place makes, I don't know gems?? for Myura's magic and Edo makes potions for Iria's skill. what about the others?

thank you very much for help!
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Here is the official page on HQ facilities.
http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/genso/100- ... ndex2.html

From the top:
1. The main building that houses the bestiary list, as well as movie and sound rooms. The Tablet of Promise will appear later.

2. Dining place. Having a meal here is required to be able to leave the HQ.

3. These stores enhance your equipments: weapons, armours, and rings.

4. Gino and that other girl produce Magic Stones for your mages.

5. These two produce special Arrows for your bow users.

6. Hex stones for hexers.

7. Medicines for medics like Iria; Nido is here.

8. Hunting function. This is maybe similar to Nuzhat's Dreambeasts from Tierkreis? Except that there are prizes given if you defeat the enemies within the time limit.

9. They call it Dungeon, but whatever. Think of it as some kind of investment? You agree to spend a certain amount of potch (for them to set up traps on unsuspecting monsters, etc), and upon your return to the HQ later, you'll get an assortment of items as well as potch, which in total will almost always exceed what you paid originally.
Silfan

Post by Silfan »

Something to add is, it is a good idea to do dungeon whenever you visit your HQ, because some of the materials for medicine/magic stones/curse stone/arrow can only be gotten from there before you gain access to last city in the game.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Silfan wrote:I just translate straight from kana to romaji letter to letter coz I have no clue about some of those name.
I did not use google or other translator lol. Just fyi, I did learn Japanese in class for like 1.5 years around 3-4 years ago.
My level is around JLPT 4(is it JLPT 5 now?), so while it is not enough to understand the story, direct translation of kana is ok.
Probably you have some better alternatives for translation of some of those names?
I would be happy to change if some of you have suggestions. :)
Well, you got some names that weren't just romanized Japanese names--they were actually translated, such as:
Regius...Zephon...Lascaris
Which gives me an idea. I'm going to play around with these names using Google. Some of these names have meanings--I'll just copy-and-paste the first sentence from Wikipedia.

With "Regius,' I got a lot of results on Wiki. This doesn't surprise me--the name itself seems to mean "king" or "royal."

Wiki: "In the Book of Enoch, Zephon, also Zepho (Heb. צפון "hidden") was an angel, sent by the archangel Gabriel together with Ithuriel, to find out the location of Satan after his Fall."

Apparently there are people named "Zaveed," which makes me feel vindicated for using that spelling. :P "Zavid" is a name, too.

"Moudi" would be pronounced "moh-dee," not "mu-dee." Not a correction, just for others' benefit. :)

"Myura" is the Japanese pronunciation of "Murat": "Joachim-Napoléon Murat (born Joachim Murat; Italian: Gioacchino Napoleone Murat; 25 March 1767 – 13 October 1815), Marshal of France and Grand Admiral or Admiral of France, 1st Prince Murat, was Grand Duke of Berg from 1806 to 1808 and then King of Naples from 1808 to 1815." "Murat" may or may not be what they were going for. I'm going to stick with "Myura" for now.

Lascaris: "The Laskaris or Lascaris (Greek: Λάσκαρις/Λάσκαρης) family was a Byzantine Greek noble family whose members formed the ruling dynasty of the Empire of Nicaea from 1204 to 1261 and remained among the senior nobility up to the dissolution of the Byzantine Empire, whereupon many emigrated to Italy and then to Smyrna (very later)." Makes sense to me.

Ducas: "Doukas, Latinized as Ducas (Greek: Δούκας; fem. Doukaina/Ducaena, Δούκαινα; pl. Doukai/Ducae, Δούκαι), from the Latin tile dux ("leader, general", hellenized as doux), is the name of a Byzantine Greek noble family, whose branches provided several notable generals and rulers to the Byzantine Empire." Once again, I feel justified in using this instead of "Ducasse." "Ducasse" is apparently a surname of a couple of famous people--Alain Ducasse is a chef; Curt John Ducasse was a philosopher and a professor.

"Zerendoramu" should be "Tserendoramu."

"Shafuru" should be "Sharufu."

"Erumione" could be "Ermione," the Italian version of "Hermione" and the title character in an opera by Rossini. Classically, Hermione was a daughter--or the daughter--of Helen of Troy.

Cadmus: "Cadmus or Kadmos (Greek: Κάδμος), in Greek mythology was a Phoenician prince,[1] the son of king Agenor and queen Telephassa of Tyre and the brother of Phoenix, Cilix and Europa."

Numistro: "The Battle of Numistro was fought in 210 BC between Hannibal's army and the Roman consular army led by consul Marcus Claudius Marcellus."

"Byorun" could be "Bjorn," but there are way too many of those to figure out which one was intended.

Well, you get the idea. There seems to be a Byzantine theme here, including Greek and Italian names.
Silfan

Post by Silfan »

I didn't put disclaimer, but I used some liberty in translating some names. :p
Regius and Zephon are both obvious choices for me, since their kana reading are Regiusu and Zefon.
Lascaris' was Rasukarisu. This one is not so obvious, but there weren't actually that many choices imo.
Raskaris, Rascaris, Laskaris, Lascaris. I just chose last one since it looks best.

"Moudi" kana reading is Moodi (long o sound). Corect me if I'm wrong, but isn't "Moudi" read exactly with the sound moo-di?
Sorry, I'm not an English native, so I'm not really sure. I thought Mohdi and Moudi will produce really similar sound?

Tserendoramu and Sharufu: thanks for the correction.

All in all, thanks for sharing the knowledge. I really appreciate the feedback.

Oh, by the way, do Japanese write Crayon as Kureion or Kureyon or other? I was tempted to translate his name to Crayon ...
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Oh, yeah, in sound, "Moodi," "Moudi," "Mohdi," "Mōdi," and "Mo-di" are all the same, depending on how you romanize Japanese. I must have gotten it mixed up with "Mouie," which is how I translated "Muuii," that cute little Feather Tribesman. Awww, I love Mouie <3