The Final Spell of other True Runes?

Hypothesis for, and analyses of, the various locations and backstory of the Suikoden world.
DoReMi_Vampire

The Final Spell of other True Runes?

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

We've so far seen the final spells get unlocked at the end of each game for the the True Runes that the games are centered upon,
like the Soul Eater, the Bright Shield Rune, the Sun Rune and the Rune of Punishment. (Never played a game past SII so I'm not sure what happened with the Elemental Runes in SIII.)

So the question is what you think would happen if you unlocked the true potential of all the other True Runes we've seen so far.

Personally I'm most curious about the Star Dragon Sword. Maybe it would become a force of ultimate destruction or maybe it would unlock something more healing, like turning the undead back into living beings.
- I've got a warrior's sword with your name on it.

- Of Course I Know Chinchirorin!
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: The Final Spell of other True Runes?

Post by patapi »

Bright Shield Rune is not a True Rune, and like Beast Rune, we never actually get to access the spells on the Sun Rune. As for the five Elements featured in Suikoden III, their final spells are all readily available, once their respective bearers have access to their final level MP.
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

I know the Bright Shield is not a true rune but that doesn't change the fact that it takes effort and gathering the stars of destiny to unlock it's true potential, unlike with other normal runes. And I know the Sun Rune isn't in the gameplay, but I got the impression that you used the stars of destiny to unlock it's nurturing side in order to save Lyon's life. If I'm wrong, my bad.
Anyway, the focus of the question wasn't details like that.

eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

Given that we don't know anything about the most true runes that haven't been usable in a game, it's kind of hard to really comment on them. It seems to me though that all of the true runes have a dualistic quality to them, which enables them to be on the one hand immensely destructive, and on the other hand immensely constructive, so really any true rune could accomplish great things of either nature, depending on the will of the user. I don't think the final spell you can obtain in any particular game represents the ultimate power of that rune, so much as the highest power that a particular user has been able to successfully cultivate.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

patapi wrote:Bright Shield Rune is not a True Rune, and like Beast Rune, we never actually get to access the spells on the Sun Rune. As for the five Elements featured in Suikoden III, their final spells are all readily available, once their respective bearers have access to their final level MP.

I do think we get sneak peak at what the beast rune attacks would be based off the final battle. I made a a video about it a few years ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe9eq5NqMy8

At time 1:24 in the video you see what the final spell probably would be.
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

I don't believe True Runes have a specific spell list, that's just gameplay mechanics. If you have the True Wind Rune, you can do just about anything Wind-related you want with it.

Giving certain runes a reoccurring spell list is just continuity.

"So the question is what you think would happen if you unlocked the true potential of all the other True Runes we've seen so far."
And The final spells aren't anything near 'true potential'. Punishment's final spell was little more than a Cyclone rune, yet he destroyed fleets with the thing. Fire's final spells was pretty strong, but nothing compared to what the original flame champion did when he ended the war.

So if we did see any 4th level spell mechanics, it wouldn't exactly tell us any more about a rune.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

No one seems to remember Luc saying "Wind rune show your power" or something and summoning a stone golem in Suikoden I, yet no such spell is available inside the game.

So as the gentleman above me says, just gameplay mechanics.
Sylo

Post by Sylo »

Hirathien wrote:No one seems to remember Luc saying "Wind rune show your power" or something and summoning a stone golem in Suikoden I, yet no such spell is available inside the game.
I bet many people were disappointed once they recruited Luc and found out that you couldnt summon an epic stone golem!

I always thought it was odd considering he was known for possessing the True Wind Rune, was expecting something more closer to the element...
"You will never be strong if you consider yourself weak" - Cleo, Suikoden
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

the rocks could just be the physical representation of the wind monster holding them together. Or it's just an oversight. Nothing major
Sylo

Post by Sylo »

I love all little observations like this though :)

Not many people really see into all the smallest details, however irrelevant
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

I'm sure most people noticed this, but I don't think it's a big enough deal to be acknowledged.

Water and Wind runes heal people. Why? Fire runes cause great boulders of earth to come tumbling from the sky. Why? The sword and the shield are pretty strong representations of two sides of a coin, yet The Bright Shield Rune has a damage spell. Why?

Not worth worrying about
Sylo

Post by Sylo »

I understand that most people *may* have noticed this. It might not seem like a big deal to you, but like I said, I like the smaller details :)

I never said I worried about about it, or implied that I may have done so. Its a simple observation and I think people should be encouraged to explore these findings and elaborate on their ideas and opinions.
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

In SI Luc summoned a smaller golem to fight the first time you meet him. Maybe the stone-golem isn't related to the Wind Rune at all? Might just be a spell he learned while living under Leknaats care?

Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

DoReMi_Vampire wrote:In SI Luc summoned a smaller golem to fight the first time you meet him. Maybe the stone-golem isn't related to the Wind Rune at all? Might just be a spell he learned while living under Leknaats care?
I don't remember the exact English script, but in the Japanese he's referring to the True Wind Rune.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

IIRC he explicitly says "Wind Rune" in the localised version too.