Disgaea is cool.!

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Noraibah
Banned User
Location: Kuala Lumpur[ Kota Kinabalu, Sabah ],Wilayah Perseketuan,Malaysia

Re: Disgaea is cool.!

Post by Noraibah »

I love disgaea so much that I want it to be my second PS3 game!Cool huh?
I think its cool.
I love this forum............to death.I think dying is normal.Just ignore me!
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

So ever since Disgaea 4 came out, I find myself liking it a lot more than 2 and 3. The fun social commentary in the story is one of the best in the franchise.

I also like the critical goof they packed into the retail version of the game: You can duplicate weapons and armor at alarming rates with a "full inventory" glitch. It cut down on hours upon hours of "standard" duplication via a 5% copy chance, making it possible for me to concentrate on completing content rather than crunching numbers for multiple perfect items.

I'm less than 60 active hours into playing the game and have completed four times as much stuff compared to Disgaea 3.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Well, honestly I am turned of by Disgaea. One of the things I hate most is the level-grinding and time-sink aspects of games. If I wanted that, I would play an MMO or something, they are by their very nature designed to eat at a person's life so they can draw more money from you. I have only played Disgaea the first, and while the battle system was interesting, it was simply too in-depth for me. Just like the 5-hour long bosses that could be fought in FF XII.

While I certainly liked the fact that the game did not take itself seriously, I just was not excited about the sequel. I grow tired of many Tactical RPGs because it seems as if they program aspects of the game in simply to make the battle system more complex, as if complexity made it better. The only two tactical RPGs I have finished were Tactics Ogre and FF Tactics, because their battle systems were easy enough to understand and grasp the basics of, yet yielded much complexity later on.

Even Suikoden Tactics, I felt the same way and never finished the game. I have always like the anti-grinding aspects of the Suikodens, and if you want multiple rarer items, you are then welcome to grind, or equip a Hunter Rune and acquire them that way. It keeps the game focused on its story, rather than its mere content. And I feel that most RPGs have gone completely the other direction, focusing entirely on Battle System content rather than a narrative.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

I'm pretty sure the only battle complexity they added in Disgaea's sequels were stackable Geo-Blocs. The rest is fairly standard strategy RPG stuff (attack from the sides and back for best results, attack while next to others for team involvement, special attacks are powerful but very limited).

Disgaea games have always been good at making your first playthrough fit with "normal progression". Twenty hours of a normal SRPG and potentially hundreds of hours in postgame for those who actually care to do it. (I'm in it for the numbers: Seeing millions and billions appear as your damage total is fun)
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Hmm. I suppose complexity is a matter of taste as well. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree there. I mean, it is not the complexity per se that turns me away from the game, but rather the feeling I get that they are making things needlessly complex, just to make the game longer. I suppose that's a pretty subjective feeling, so you are right, but I feel the same none the less.
Noraibah
Banned User

Post by Noraibah »

My next or second PS3 game is going to be either Disgaea 4 or Valkyria Chronicles.Wow.....I can't believe I actually predicted that like two months ago!
Ellyos

Post by Ellyos »

Oh ****... I completely missed the release of Disgaea 4 :x
I have to buy it :P

I loved Valkyria Chronicles even if it had some balancing issues (mainly Units power which are often not enough interesting and too random to be exploited). Anyway, I finished it 3 times in a row :)
xtian3426

Post by xtian3426 »

Disgaea is pretty cool although i only played one Disgaea. The gameplay is awesome but i still love Makai Kingdom :) which is like same from Disgaea :)
"It took hundreds to kill me but I killed humans by the thousands. I am sublime!!! I am the true face of evil!!!!" - Luca Blight
Vermillion.Haze

Post by Vermillion.Haze »

The only two games I currently own for PS3...Disgaea 3, Disgaea 4. They are that damn good.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

I didn't really care for Disgaea. The first one is the only one I've played, but the grinding was waaaaay too much and it seemed like leveling up would go on forever. The humor in the game was enjoyable, but I got burned out on the constant grinding and never finished the game. I think I spent 100+ hours just strengthening one character's weapon.
PSN: FreshMetal80
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Wait, what?

I didn't have to grind much in Disgaea: Hour of Darkness to clear the main story, if at all. Some of the extremely tough battles were actually puzzles rather than requiring that I overlevel to overcome all opposition.

That has always been the point of playing Disgaea's main stories. They're intentionally strategic for people who don't want to spend hundreds of hours grinding.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

Yeah, but I'm one of those gamers that is unexplainably compelled to get the "best" weapons and gear and level up as much as possible. I could have easily finished the story, but I got so caught up in the grinding (for no reason), I got bored with it. I know, I'm weird.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Ellyos

Post by Ellyos »

You're not. I did exactly the same with Disagea:Hour of Darkness. I stopped for 1 or 2 years then, I decided to finish it last summer. Since I forgot all the game, I restarted it and I focused on the story. I did some weapon level, but I think my max was finally lv30. I haven't spent too much time in Dark Council this time as well.

But still, I love Disgaea and its concept. It's complete and you know you can do a lot of things. It's not a game where you say, "damn if only I could do that..." because the game probably let you do it.
Unfortunately, that's also the reason why I haven't bought Disgaea 2 or 3, because they don't seem to have a lot of differences. Anyway, I'll get Disgaea 4 because graphics are good enough for a PS3 and I think it can be really pleasant to play.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

freshmetal wrote:Yeah, but I'm one of those gamers that is unexplainably compelled to get the "best" weapons and gear and level up as much as possible. I could have easily finished the story, but I got so caught up in the grinding (for no reason), I got bored with it. I know, I'm weird.
That's one recommendation I can make when it comes to Disgaea's main story: Don't grind beyond what's offered/required (i.e. one level 10 item, one trip to the Dark Council). Why I say this is that you can only get the absolute "best" out of those concepts when you actually finish the game's storyline for the first time (especially Dark Council).

All four games follow that same basic pattern when it comes to "normal" play: Think strategically and don't grind during the story, then exploit and break the game beyond recognition once you enter postgame. Any other way yields one of these results for most players:

1) You get bored of grinding and quit.
2) The game's story gets too easy and people assume the rest is the same (and quit).
3) You survived grinding before a particularly strategic story battle and you think you need to grind way more (and quit out of exasperation).
Noraibah
Banned User

Post by Noraibah »

I hope I could get that game really cheaply in Malaysia!