Plot

A forum for questions and discussions about the PSP game roughly translated as "The Woven Web of a Century"
Xelinis

Re: Plot

Post by Xelinis »

For reference, he was also the head writer of OZ (known as Sword of Etheria in Europe, but never released in the states). When Suikoden V was first announced, he was also pimped as the head writer of Skies of Arcadia. However, I've gone through the credits of that game several times now and I can't find any mention of him.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Antimatzist wrote:So is this good or bad? :?
Doesn't really matter how good or bad of a writer you are if the premise you're given is bad. Suikoden V is a decent story, aside from the ending, Tierkreis is just awful from the first line to the credits.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:
Antimatzist wrote:So is this good or bad? :?
Doesn't really matter how good or bad of a writer you are if the premise you're given is bad. Suikoden V is a decent story, aside from the ending, Tierkreis is just awful from the first line to the credits.
But isn't he as a writer responsible for the story? Sorry, I don't exactly know what a "writer" does in a game. Or is the "producer" the one who develops the general plot and the writer fills it?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

What was wrong with the Suikoden V ending?
"F*** you, I'm a goat." -Yohn
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Antimatzist wrote:But isn't he as a writer responsible for the story? Sorry, I don't exactly know what a "writer" does in a game. Or is the "producer" the one who develops the general plot and the writer fills it?
He's responsible for the progression of the story. The director/producer will have general outline of what should happen, the writer then fills in the blanks on how to get from points A to B to C etc as well as dialouge and NPC comments.
Rachael wrote:What was wrong with the Suikoden V ending?
It's a cop-out and makes little to no sense. There are things that can be considered poor writing in Suikoden V, Lucretia's omnipotence comes to mind, but the 108 stars ending is the most egregious. Which is a shame after what was a good game that the ending is so poor.

http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 2&p=124963 This thread explains most of the problems with it.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:It's a cop-out and makes little to no sense. There are things that can be considered poor writing in Suikoden V, Lucretia's omnipotence comes to mind, but the 108 stars ending is the most egregious. Which is a shame after what was a good game that the ending is so poor.

http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 2&p=124963 This thread explains most of the problems with it.
Okay, yeah, I can agree with most of that thread. I'll leave it there since I don't want to go off topic or anything, but thanks for answering my question. :)
"F*** you, I'm a goat." -Yohn
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

I am not as much of a fan of SV as some people here are. Odd to say that because I wrote a walkthrough for it, but it is still a very good game all in all. I think that Tierkreis' problems were manifold, it cannot be written off as an issue with the DS itself, nor can you blame the staff entirely, either.

The PSP should take care of the hardware issues that plagued Tierkreis. And honestly, I think that the staff is well aware of their own mistakes with Tierkreis. So, things are looking up in my opinion.

Well, the only thing now is to wait and see. If Ms. Kawano did indeed create the character designs, and if Mr. Sugawa is writing, we are starting to get a picture of what the game will look like.

It is true that the "main" endings of Suikoden V were. . . unlikely. But, I though that the ending showing the prince wandering alone in the snow and the so-called "bad" endings were pretty poignant. It really comes down to what the producers and directors will allow the writer to do sometimes.

On that note, I have been told that the issues of how "mature" RPGs should be has been a topic of much discussion within Konami. Not to say that they are going to make a Dragon Age-style gore-fest. But, rather that they should be more open about certain plot points and less sensitive to offending people. How this could take shape (or if it will at all) is yet to be seen.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Eh, Lucretia's so-called omnipotence is simply consistent with how Zhuge Liang is depicted in popular literature anyway. And wasn't partly based on him as well? Bias stinks.

And what's wrong with being given the option to stay with Lymsleia in the 108 Stars ending anyway?
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

The option to stay with Lym is not the issue, but the fact that Lyon is revived (for a second time) at the end. I mean, Lyon is hands down one of the most annoying characters in the series, and considering the fact that she apparently bleeds diamonds when stabbed it is a wonder that they let her live at all, let alone brought her back in such a melodramatic way.

I can see the Producers/Director wanting a "happy" ending for the game, but at a certain point, it is better to let some characters die rather than finding increasingly inane ways to bring them back to life. Or, you could just forget killing them in the first place, and find another way to increase the game's dramatic tension.

Well, even with all that, I still think SV was a very good game, and even though I am critical of it, I would not mind having the same writer tackling the new Suikoden.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Players seriously thought Arshtat/Lyon/etc were bleeding diamonds? I don't even.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Sorry I was making a bad joke. You'll have to forgive my sense of humor as I am still recovering from surgery ahaha. Anyway. . .

As far as the new game, I am surprised as to the lack of cats. Seriously, Ms. Kawano is a serious cat lover and it is odd that there have been none revealed so far. Maybe this means she has less to do with the game then we though? maybe it means she has restrained herself and decided not to make everyone suffer her cat affection? Maybe the bird people will be facing extinction from a terrifying Tabby people...
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

That certainly explains what led to the introduction of the feline version of the dog-based Kobolds in the Island Nations. I thought the Furious Roar clan was a commendable effort to strengthen the ties between the different Kobold-based races.