Plot

A forum for questions and discussions about the PSP game roughly translated as "The Woven Web of a Century"
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Plot

Post by KFCrispy »

please post info about the plot here, thanks!
Rachael

Re: Plot

Post by Rachael »

From the site:
Story

The Hundredth-Year Monster...
That monster will appear, without fail, once every 100 years, devour everything, and continue to multiply...It is a fearsome creature.
In order to prepare for the Hundredth-Year Monster, the Holy Aionian Empire has greatly extended its reach to subjugate the whole land by forcing heavy burdens upon it.

However, as time passes, the regional towns and cities have become dissatisfied with these heavy burdens and declared independence. At first, a large-scale military clash between Holy Aionian Empire and the Regional Force occurred, and there were massive casualties on both sides, but ironically, the existence of the Hundredth-Year Monster forced both sides to reconcile.

Beneath the Aionian Flag, the Holy Aionian Empire, faced with an emergency, acknowledged the Regional Force's independence as a condition of combining their forces. Ever since, time has passed peacefully, at least on the surface...This year, it will have been exactly 100 years...

In the village of Terube, three youths, the hero, Myura, and Gino, are spending their days training to prepare for the coming of the Hundredth-Year Monster. One day, on their way back from training in the barricade ruins, the hero and his friend encountered monsters they'd never seen before. No matter how many they defeated, they continued to multiply so, unable to move forward, the friends retreated back to the ruins.

Once inside, a mysterious boy named Zephon suddenly appears in front of them and sends them flying 100 years into the past. There, they will meet the heroes who repelled the previous Hundredth-Year Monster...

A newly-spun tale of the Infinity that transcends time...
"F*** you, I'm a goat." -Yohn
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Here is what the top scan says:
Game Outline

A brand new game for the popular series "Gensou Suikoden." In this game, a tale unfolds about young men and women who fight against the "Hundredth-Year Monster," a fearsome creature who appears once every 100 years and devours everything. One day, the hero and his friends are sent flying 100 years into the past, where they meet the old hero Torwad Albrec...

Transcending 100 years, "Gensou Suikoden Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki" is an RPG where a grand tale unfolds. The player becomes the Hero, a swordsman from the village of Terube, and sets off on an adventure to fell the "Hundredth-Year Monster." This time, we introduce you to the newly-released main visual and some important characters.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Conjecture about the Plot:

Since some of the Pre-Order Extras available via Konami Style feature artwork by Junko Kawano, it is reasonable to assume that she had some involvement in the project. The character designs look like her style too. So, is she the person responsible for writing the game's plot?

There are several facts that support this theory:

1. Ms. Kawano wrote, produced, and did the character design for Suikoden IV.

2. Suikoden IV was the highest selling Suikoden.

3. Ms. Kawano has been busy of late, as she has been working on projects for Konami. These projects have not been specified to anyone either publicly or privately to the best of my knowledge.

After Mr. Murayama left Konami, Ms. Kawano stepped up and even put much of her personal wealth into creating Suikoden IV. While we can argue about the outcome of that game, one cannot overlook the fact that Kawano was the person most responsible for the continuation of the series. In this vein, it makes sense that with the series in its current state of flux that she would try again to get it started rather than see the series die.

On a personal note, this is why I have such respect for Ms. Kawano. Sure, Suikoden IV had lots of problems, but better that is was made and the series lived on than it died along with Murayama's departure. Also, I feel the game's problems stemmed more from a lack of funding and a horrid production schedule than any kind of creative lack on Kawano's part.

So, that is my argument to place Ms Kawano as the head writer for this game.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

Rooks wrote: 2. Suikoden IV was the highest selling Suikoden.
Actually, Suikoden III was the highest selling title. However, it's worth pointing out that PS2 piracy had grown dramatically via hard drive booters and swap disk systems by the time of IV's release.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

It would be nice to have actual numbers to back up these claims? All I know for sure is that Suikoden V did the worst, leading to the unfortunate departure from the Old World from there onwards. It must have been such an unfortunate blow to the team, especially considering how much effort was put to please the old, bitter fanbase.

On one hand, it is great if someone familiar with the series is taking up the leadership once again after Tierkreis (so Komuta is gone for good, yes?). On the other hand, there is still zero indication that Tsumugareshi has anything to do with the Old World. Though, after the Lovecraftesque evil eye plot in Rhapsodia, I wouldn't be surprised if it is truly Kawano behind the introduction of this hundred-year monster story in the Old World.

That said, didn't they use Ishikawa's artwork to sell the Tierkreis Extra Soundtrack before? Maybe this is just more of the same, and Kawano's involvement is no more than Konami's ploy to attract old fans.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Xelinis wrote:
Rooks wrote: 2. Suikoden IV was the highest selling Suikoden.
Actually, Suikoden III was the highest selling title.
Actually, Suikoden II is the highest selling title.
All I know for sure is that Suikoden V did the worst
Rhapsodia did far, far worse.

Suikoden -206,775
Suikoden 2 -416,790
Suikoden 3 -397,422
Suikoden 4 -311,815
Suikoden 5 -194,780
Suikoden Tactics - 64,472
Suikoden Gaiden 1 - 71,042
Suikoden Gaiden 2 - 41,366
Suikoden Card Stories - 7,676
Suikoden 1+2 - 28,271
Last edited by Raww Le Klueze on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

patapi wrote:It would be nice to have actual numbers to back up these claims?
All I have on hand are Japanese numbers.

Suikoden II - 381,708
http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales-da ... ikoden-ii/

Suikoden III - 383,121
http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales-da ... koden-iii/

Suikoden IV - 304,570
http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales-da ... ikoden-iv/
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

According to Wikipedia (with a source-link) Suikoden III sold another 190.000 units in the US, Suikoden II (according to this topic on gamefaqs) 171.846, so I guess Suikoden II was the better seller because it has PAL-Sales, too. Or they are even, or maybe Suikoden III has a bit more... But I can't say any of these numbers is really 100% correct...
Last edited by Antimatzist on Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

Raww Le Klueze wrote: Suikoden -206,775
Suikoden 2 -416,790
Suikoden 3 -397,422
Suikoden 4 -311,815
Suikoden 5 -194,780
Suikoden Tactics - 64,472
Suikoden Gaiden 1 - 71,042
Suikoden Gaiden 2 - 41,366
Suikoden Card Stories - 7,676
Suikoden 1+2 - 28,271
Raww, where did you find these numbers?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

garaph.info mostly and various japanese sources. Gensopedia had them as well before it went down.

VGChartz are not a source to use ever, they simply guess. They've been wrong by as much as 100% and are the reason the NPD no longer releases sales figures publically, cause VGChartz stole the numbers to correct their guesses.

You won't even end up with a ballpark figure, you're lucky to be in the same city as the ballpark.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

From Twitter:
「紡時」のシナリオ、ざっとですが読み終えました。好きな話の流れだな~と思ったら、なんと幻想水滸伝Ⅴやティアクライスのシナリオをご担当頂いた津川一吉さんでした!
Okay, I couldn't translate this in a satisfactory manner. Here's what I know it says.

1. He has finished reading the rough details of Tsumuji's scenario.
2. It reminded him of a story he liked.
3. He mentions Kazuyoshi Tsugawa, who oversaw Suikoden V and Tierkreis. I'm not 100% positive, but I'm thinking this means that Tsugawa is at least one of the writers. My first hint is that he says "Tsugawa Kazuyoshi-san deshita," which translates as "It was Kazuyoshi Tsugawa." Also, "nanto" is used before the statement, which is an exclamation of amazement or being impressed.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that is what he's saying--I just couldn't really translate it well without the sentence structure being awkward. I'm 90% sure he's saying that Kazuyoshi Tsugawa is the one who wrote it, and not that it's in the style of Tsugawa.

I don't know what this means in regards to how the game will be. Or rather, what it means to other fans.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

Indeed, Tsugawa was the head writer of both Suikoden V and Tierkreis.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

So is this good or bad? :?
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

Antimatzist wrote:So is this good or bad? :?
Too early to say. That had a lot of constraints to work with on the DS, so let's wait and see.