How would you fix the Suikoden series?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Piisuke

Re: How would you fix the Suikoden series?

Post by Piisuke »

Antimatzist wrote:He's talking about Suikoden, the first one. And yeah, you probably remembered incorrectly.
Yeah, as I said, I thought he meant Suikoden as in the franchise. Plus, I might have remembered incorrectly, maybe I was too excited about being able to run diagonally :p.
Oppenheimer wrote:Suikoden V already has new game +. What I wish they changed about New Game + is allowing you to put anyone in your party that you recruited in your last play through right at the beginning. I've said this before, but it would be nice to be able to use late joiners early in the game.
I just copied and pasted that note from Suikoden I :P
Zer0

Post by Zer0 »

Thinking back to Suikoden 2, I believe 3 allowed you to play through a scenario as Luc, i would love to be able to do the same for Jowy.
cws

Post by cws »

To fix Suikoden 1, just make graphics in Suikoden 1 better and characters that are killed in battles still alive after that.

Suikoden 2 need some changes as well. first make a better graphic. Then remove some unnecessary characters such as Mukumuku,Tuta,Gengen,Gabocha,Simone,Vincent because these characters sucks in battle and their appearance are hideous. They can be replaced by new characters that have better strength, some characters that can't be used for fighting such as Yam Koo and Tai Ho and change them as characters that can fight since they can fight in Suikoden 1 and better fighting strength while change some characters that can be used on fighting such as Hai Yo and change into characters that can't be used for fighting since not only his statistics sucks, his fighting style just seem stupid.

Grammatical error and spelling error need to be changed as well.

Rowd deserve to be punished as well. Rowd is a scum where he work together with Luca Blight for his own benefit and he show no mercy to Riou and Jowy. Rowd deserve to receive punishment such as being severly injured in battle in Riou's hand and being bring back as war prisoner, Riou told Rowd sister about her brother crime and Rowd receive punishment in death sentence.

Remove the bad ending. The bad ending where Riou ruinning away with Nanami really unnecessary as well as stupid. The only reason why Riou ruinning away from his fight is because of him listening to that useless characters called Nanami advice of giving up his fight. After leaving
Tinto,Riou and Nanami stay inside a house. When Shu and his parties come to that house, they founded Riou and Nanami to tell those two that Ridley was killed when he was looking for Riou and Riou was slaped by Shu because he want to abandoned his fight but actually is Nanami fault. When Nanami heard that Ridley was killed, she said stupid dialogues such as she has promised Genkaku to protect Riou, she doesn't want to see
Riou keep fighting with Jowy but she has caused more pain and sufferings to Riou and she keep saying sorry and Riou can decide what is best to him without considering her reaction but damaged has been done. This ending need to be removed.

Nanami deserve to be punished. Throught Suikoden 2, Nanami has shown that she is the most ugly,stupid,annoiying,useless character in Suikoden 2. Her dialogue are stupid, she tought herself is very charming whereas she is an attention seeker that will do what ever she can to gain attention, she is a control freak where when she saw Riou with other female characters, she will do what ever she can to stop Riou interact with those female characters.She is naive and stupid where she thinks that by persuading Riou to run away from his fight, he can avoid
fighting Jowy but she is just naive and stupid as her characteristics. Her dialogues are shoot, she keep saying those stupid dialogues throught Suikoden 2 and she will keep forcing herself into the party whereas players can choose better characters other than this stupid character
called Nanami. Change Nanami into character that are choosable and she does not forcing herself into the party anymore. Her fighting style in Suikoden 2 are silly also.

Not just only that, she is a pure coward when come to fighting. Remember when Dunan Liberation Army want to recruit a brilliant strategist and Apple recommended Shu? When they went to Radat, Shu throw a coin into Radat River and told Apple if they can found that coin, he will join them. When they are asking for person that in charge of that sluce gate to close that sluce gate for even one day only, stupid Nanami tell Apple to give up and When Riou and Apple are looking for that coin,Nanami keep saying that they won't found that coin but Riou and Apple does not give up on finding that coin. After Riou founded that coin, that shameless character called Nanami dare to celebrate Riou and Apple success. Shu is just testing Riou. If Riou followed advice of that stupid character called Nanami, Dunan Liberation Army won't recruit a brilliant strategist called Shu and peace will never arrived in Dunan.

Because of this stupid character called Nanami, Eillie doesn't have a chance to express her love to Riou. Eillie are way better than that stupid character called Nanami where she not just only love Riou but she also does not give up easily when facing obstacles. When Riou and Muse survivor reached North Window Castle, they are facing a lot of troubles yet Eillie tell them Riou does not give up and non of them should give up either. Based on this only, Eillie are way better than that stupid Nanami that only know to become attention seeker, saying stupid dialogues over and over again, a coward that only know to run when facing trouble. Riou should be having a relationship together with Eillie.

Everything about Nanami sucks, her hairstyle sucks, her face ugly, her dress style sucks, her fighting styles are hideous, her dialogue sucks hard, she is an useless coward.

Besides that, Pillika need to receive some changes as well. After she was shocked due to almost being killed by Luca Blight, compared to after she meet Jowy in Muse during Highland Occupation, Pillika should be able to speak after Muse was being captured by Highland due to Jowy's betrayal and Riou ask Pilika reason behind her unwilling to speak and Pilika will be punished if she refuse to speak for a long time and she manage to speak after she was being punished. Riou found Jillia and Pillika convoy and expose Jowy's crime. After Pillika found out that Uncle Jowy that she cared the most was actually working with her parents killer, Luca Blight, she become angry and condemn Jowy for his crime. After that, she apologize to Riou because she doesn't want to speak after Luca Blight almost killed her not just only she was shocked but also she want to receive more love from her beloved Uncle Jowy but she doesn't know that Riou and Nanami also cared about her, in her heart, she loved uncle Jowy behind of her parents and after she found out that her beloved Uncle Jowy actually working together with Luca Blight, her parents killer, she felt angry and condemn Jowy

Change the best ending of Suikoden 2 into ending like this: After defeating Jowy in Tenzan Pass, Riou take Jowy's Black Sword Rune and complete Rune of Begining, heal Jowy, take Jowy back to Dunan Castle and when Riou and Jowy found out that Nanami still alive, take her back to Dunan Castle as well. At Dunan Castle, Riou expose Jowy's crime and make Jowy realize his mistake by punish him on putting him into prison and expose Nanami action of keep telling him to give up on his fight, Nanami are being condemned for her action as well as receive punishment of be putting into prison for repeatly telling Riou to run away, Riou leading Dunan Republic to glory and Riou and Eillie become lover.
Roshambeaux

Post by Roshambeaux »

Nanami deserve to be punished. Throught Suikoden 2, Nanami has shown that she is the most ugly,stupid,annoiying,useless character in Suikoden 2. Her dialogue are stupid, she tought herself is very charming whereas she is an attention seeker that will do what ever she can to gain attention, she is a control freak where when she saw Riou with other female characters, she will do what ever she can to stop Riou interact with those female characters.She is naive and stupid where she thinks that by persuading Riou to run away from his fight, he can avoid
fighting Jowy but she is just naive and stupid as her characteristics. Her dialogues are shoot, she keep saying those stupid dialogues throught Suikoden 2 and she will keep forcing herself into the party whereas players can choose better characters other than this stupid character
called Nanami. Change Nanami into character that are choosable and she does not forcing herself into the party anymore. Her fighting style in Suikoden 2 are silly also.
Damn, how many times have you said this in various threads? Since you seem so passionate about this, why don't you create a new website where you can write a blog about it every single day. You should also vlog about this on Youtube, as it could end up being a viral video and give the Suikoden series a lot of exposure. So give us your most passionate and indignant rant about your disdain of Nanami for our enjoyment.

Ahem -- excuse me, I may have been I little harsh, so as an apology, I'd like to share a few of my favorite Suikoden tracks with you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtLXobaUxDA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtsY1EmFljI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OSMBdabUO4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlt92JF1GnE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJPIyzRuy4g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKJrO3XC0tQ
A raw tomato for the win!
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Roshambeaux wrote:

Ahem -- excuse me, I may have been I little harsh
I think cws is deliberately trying to rile people up. Nobody's responses to his posts seem to have sunk in at all.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Roshambeaux wrote:Ahem -- excuse me, I may have been I little harsh, so as an apology, I'd like to share a few of my favorite Suikoden tracks with you:
A nice collection, but you forgot the most important one...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PytV3yVsaQ
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Roshambeaux

Post by Roshambeaux »

I'm not riled up at all; Since cws provided us with some material, I thought I'd have some fun at this person's expense.
A nice collection, but you forgot the most important one...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PytV3yVsaQ

Well, don't forget about the rearranged version from Suikoden Tactics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WocXbY3JWJQ
The tune starts at 0:30

Here's the piano version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xTOhNkE-eg

The song begins at 6:07
A raw tomato for the win!
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Cool! And here’s the vocal version I’d warmly recommend to cws to use as “wake-up tone” (ambiguity intended)…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLySdIg2a8E
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

On the original topic:

Suikoden 1:
Additional rune slots
Dash button works without attaching holy runes
I'm currently replaying this after buying it on PS store and these are really the only two things that are bothering me.
Maybe add some additional quests as an excuse to build characters that I don't use much.

Suikoden 2:
Fix the crappy major battles, and make some of them into cut scenes so we don't have to waste our time losing them.
Amend those dodgy translations.
Make monsters only take up one slot so we can get more use out of them.

Suikoden 3:
Bring back the traditional overworld map. The dot-to-dot map was horrible.
Let us choose our main champion from the beginning, and only play from their perspective, instead of playing through everyone's chapters.
No auto-attacking.

Suikoden 4:
Reduced enemy encounter
None of that bouncing off of islands crap when you miss the landfall area
More battleship customization
More quests/extended storyline
Make the deserted island section less boring
Give Lino a skimpier outfit

Suikoden 5:
Easier recruitment (I appreciate the effort they put into recruitment requirements for each individual character, but they kind of over-complicated it)
Do something about the dodgy camera angle, maybe have it all close up instead of watching it all from space
Make non-fighters (such as Chuck, Egbert and Eurum) into usable active party members
Monsters only take up one slot
Roog and Rahal should automatically mount their dragonhorses like the mounted characters do in Suikoden 3.

Tactics
Prettier graphics
Bring back some characters that were missing from 4, such as Helga, the Lo siblings and Bartholomew.
Give the mercenaries proper names and faces. I know they're only bonus characters, but nameless and faceless characters are not fitting for a Suikoden game.
While we're at it, give proper faces to all NPCs. Those rubbed out eyes on all the townsfolk are just creepy.
cws

Post by cws »

What's the matter? Can't accept the bitter truth about Nanami?The truth is she single handedly ruined a game which could become become better if not because of constant stupid action by Nanami.Just because she is your favourite character,doesn't mean that you can personally attack those who have different opinion that your opinions.I just realize that some peoples can't accept truth being told at all
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Who actually said Nanami was their favorite character? some of us have even said we don't like her that much, but thought you were being over the top about it. and it's the only thing you've posted about on these forums. You haven't spoken about anything else relating to the Suikoden games apart from how much you hate Nanami and how she apparently ruined Riou's chances of getting off with Eilie. Are you that obsessed with this one character that you can't engage about anything else?
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

cws wrote:Can't accept the bitter truth about Nanami?
You know, the bitter truth about Nanami is that she doesn't really exist, actually.
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

Suikoden 1:
The character running sprite on the load time is a kick in the balls. We need those sprites to run like in S2.
Rune slot to 3.
More attention to characters like Pahn. After the battle of Teo, he is forgotten.

Suikoden 2:
Add a way to teleport to Gregminster instead of going through that annoying forest every damn time.

Suikoden 3:
ADD THE FLAME CHAMPION AS AN UNLOCKABLE CHARACTER!!! The middle part of the flame circle looks like it can light up. At least give us a small chapter that allows us to play as him in the 1st firebringer war.
Add Pergesma (Let him defeat Yuber instead of Geddoe) This was a perfect time to add onto the dull story of Yuber & Pergesma.

Suikoden 4:
This game needs to be remade from ground up. I love suikoden a lot and beat this game more than 3 times.
add a land world map so the character can run on land and not just ship.
increase the land masses.
add the first arc of suikoden tactics onto suikoden 4 so we could feel more sorry for kika's loss, and actually care about almost more than half of the character in the game.

Suikoden 5:
Could had added Lazlo in some way.
Heptade

Post by Heptade »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:Suikoden III, probably the only time a translation has gotten progressively worse for each installment. Retranslated by someone that's at least heard of the series before.
What? Although there are some continuity issues, such as Sindar becoming Cyndar, the translation in S3 was a major improvement over S2, which was downright imsulting in that regard. Seriously, has Nanami ever heard of pronouns? How many times does she say "Riou and Jowy" instead of something like "Both of you"? This is one of the only times a bad translation has affected my enjoyment of a game, to the point where I hesitate to recommend the game to anyone (at the very least, I will mention the issue).

The translation of S3 does have its issues and is by no means perfect, but to say that it is worse than S2's is just false. The character interactions, for the most part, at the very least, feel somewhat natural.

I think we can all agree, however, that this is the one area where S4 improved upon its predecessors.

Back on topic, I would fix translation issues in the first 3 games.

I would boost the difficulty in S1, S4 and S5.

Party of 6 in S4.

Expand upon the story (nothing major, mostly character development details) in S1, S2 (antagonists) and S4.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Heptade wrote: The translation of S3 does have its issues and is by no means perfect, but to say that it is worse than S2's is just false.
Basically your whole argument is S3 has better syntax so it's translation must be better even though the English version doesn't actually reflect what the Japanese version said. Yeah, okay, whatever. All you're saying is that S3 English is better written but that has nothing to do with the quality of the actual translation of Japanese to English.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.