[Guide] Castle Levels, Requirements & Arrangement

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
Celes
Global Admin

[Guide] Castle Levels, Requirements & Arrangement

Post by Celes »

Requirements
Castle lv 1:
24 and less characters, lasts until the recruitment of Kirkis
soonest: after battle with Dragon Zombie
Castle lv 2:
25-44 characters
soonest: after the recruitment of Kirkis
not later than: the recruitment of Gen
Castle lv 3:
45-89 characters
soonest: after the recruitment of Flik
not later than: your return from Moravia
Castle lv 4:
90 and more characters
soonest: your return from Neclord's castle

As you go normally through the game while recruiting most characters as soon as possible, you will miss several castle arrangements and locations of services and characters. Some rooms have different sizes as well, that you will never see if you play the game always in ideal order. Unlike other games this castle expands early, so different combinations are more likely if you have few characters.

The castle is updated as soon as you fulfill the requirements above. Dead characters will count. You can check the update by landing with your boat for a short sequence.

Castle lv 1:
Size:
Basement, Ground floor, 1st floor, 2nd floor
Arrangement:
1st floor: Inn (s), Smithy (s). Storehouse (s), Shops, Gossiper
2nd floor: Hero's room (s), Bath, Party change, Conference room (s), Stone table
Bath type:
Drum Can

Castle lv 2:
Add-ons:
1st floor left wing, 3rd floor, 4th floor (half), Hero's room (with small corridor)
Arrangement:
1st floor: Inn (b), Appraiser, Shops, Chinchororin, Sound
2nd floor: Smithy (b), Storehouse (m), Bath, Gossiper
3rd floor: Stone table, Map (s), Painter (s), Party change, Conference room (m)
4th floor: Hero's room
Bath type:
Cypress
Required for:
Sheena, Gaspar, Eikei, Hellion, Chapman

Castle lv 3:
Add-ons:
1st floor upper wing, 4th floor complete, Hero's room (with wide corridor), Roof
Arrangement:
1st floor: Inn (b), Rune master, Appraiser, Shops, Chinchororin, Sound, Window
2nd floor: Smithy (b), Storehouse (b), Bath, Gossiper
3rd floor: Stone table, Library, Map (b), Painter (b), Card game, Shell game
4th floor: Hero's room, Party change, Conference room (b)
Bath type:
Marble
Required for:
Jeane, Lotte, Qlon, Georges, Sarah, Lester, Morgan, Zen, Hugo, Window, Fuma, Anji, Kanak, Leonardo

Castle lv 4:
Add-ons:
Flag outside
Arrangement:
same as castle lv 3
Bath type:
Jungle
Required for:
Clive, Crowley, Pesmerga, Leon, Mace

Trivia:
  • At the banquet with the Lepant family and the pirates, the elevator is shown even if you haven't recruited Sergei yet.
  • If you still posses a lv 1 castle after the defeat of Kwanda, the castle is temporary updated to lv 2 until you re-enter it.
  • You cannot talk to Mathiu, Sanchez and Humphrey by Flik's arrival if your castle is still lv 1
  • Some characters in town in Milich' domain won't talk to you at all, with a castle lv 1
  • Because exactly 45 characters will auto-join your army in the game, you will always posses at least a lv 3 castle at the end
  • While lv 4 is a requirement for some characters, it actually doesn't change anything except for the bath type (and the flag outside shown in the sequence)
CCByouknowme

Re: [Guide] Castle Levels, Requirements & Arrangement

Post by CCByouknowme »

Sorry to post so late. I was just curious if you used the Official Guide from Prima for the castle level requirements? I own the guide as well but have not looked at it in a long time! If I remember right the level requirements are near the back of the guide. Just curious, and the trivia tid bits were nice!

Rick Flair says, "Whooooooooooooooooooooo"!
Avid wrestling fan.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Unfortunately, I do not own the guide. All my knowledge about this game is based on countless runs and many hours of testing.
CCByouknowme

Post by CCByouknowme »

I looked in my Prima Official Guide book today for the Castle levels and could not find any information about this! It does not even tell in the individual chapters about the castle level requirements! And, nothing about the castle add on's either! I also have the Official Strategy Guide book for Suikoden 2 as well and just out of curiosity looked for the castle levels and requirements. Sure enough this guide for the 2nd game had them just not the 1st! So great job of learning what the castle requirements and add on's are for this game! I have beaten this game more than 10 times and never really bothered to take the time to care about the castle system. Watching the cut scenes and walking around the castle after rec. more characters I would notice the changes to the castle but never took the time to learn the requirements! So, again, nice job of posting this and you did something not even the Strategy Guide Author would do!

Rick Flair says"Whoooooooooooooooooo"!
Avid wrestling fan :D
Juan

Post by Juan »

How to lv4 your castle after Neclord? I count the SoD I have and I'm following the walkthrough it's just 80+
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

As long as you follow the guide and recruit them ALL(marco is the culprit for me coz I tend to delay recruiting him), you should get lvl 4 castle by exiting the castle and reenter by boat
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Juan

Post by Juan »

gildedtalon wrote:As long as you follow the guide and recruit them ALL(marco is the culprit for me coz I tend to delay recruiting him), you should get lvl 4 castle by exiting the castle and reenter by boat
I follow the walkthrough and I recruited Marco also. My last recruit is Window and I done the exit by boat and reenter your castle there is no flag scene. Maybe I will check the walkthrough tomorrow.
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

There's a point where Kasumi is missing on your tablet because of being on a mission. I remember being frustrated over not having a lvl 4 castle before and this was the reason.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

What about Georges? Did you recruit him? His minigame is so hard

You definitely misssed out on some characters
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Rubi is a good candiate to miss for most people.
Juan

Post by Juan »

EstrangedIX wrote:There's a point where Kasumi is missing on your tablet because of being on a mission. I remember being frustrated over not having a lvl 4 castle before and this was the reason.
When I check my tablet of star she is not there.
gildedtalon wrote:What about Georges? Did you recruit him? His minigame is so hard

You definitely misssed out on some characters
I got him.
Celes wrote:Rubi is a good candiate to miss for most people.
Got him also.

Do you get the flag scene before accepting the quest on the Dragon's Den? Because I already accept that quest just thinking maybe that the problem that's why the scene don't appear.
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

I think it's Kasumi then, because her mission is what kept my castle from advancing before. I had everyone else that I could get at that point. I think I was trying to recruit Pesmerga or something but you need it at lvl 4 to get him.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

how about characters in Qlon temple (Window....).
Kasumi and Krin go on a mission, but that's probably only if you trigger the scene. i know most people end up with 1 or 2 less stars available, but on my last playthrough i specificially remember being able to start recruiting right after the Neclord scene, though i didn't write down if i visited HQ or not.

maybe this thread helps a little.. http://suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 41&p=99630
Juan

Post by Juan »

KFCrispy wrote:how about characters in Qlon temple (Window....).
Kasumi and Krin go on a mission, but that's probably only if you trigger the scene. i know most people end up with 1 or 2 less stars available, but on my last playthrough i specificially remember being able to start recruiting right after the Neclord scene, though i didn't write down if i visited HQ or not.

maybe this thread helps a little.. http://suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 41&p=99630
I got the scene now after the quest on Dragon's Den. Maybe I got some of the characters too early.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Bx the time Tengaar joins and before Victor leaves, you will have excactly 90 characters so it will count as a lv 4 castle from now on. Once registered, your castle won't downgrade anymore, even by the time Victor leaves. If you happed to miss only one character up to that point, you'll loose Victor temporarely and he will not count until you get him back.

The next characters in line are Clive, Crowley, Pesmerga and Leon. Each of those have a lv 4 castle as a requirement so you cannot recruit them. Next step is Dragon's Den.

That's why most people miss that chance and have to wait until their visit to Dragon's Den.