Suikoden gods?

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
DoReMi_Vampire

Re: Suikoden gods?

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

I think the True Runes could be thought of as Gods, as long as you make sure not to take everythin too litterary. I've always wondered though, who actually wrote the creation myth? Is it an ancient story that was passed from mouth to mouth or could a True Rune, like the Star Dragon Sword, actually have told someone about their history?

Another thing that could give some clues, that nobody ever seems to bring up, is the opening-sequence from SII. Has anyone else noticed that you can see some murals or possibly cave-paintings right in those first few seconds? After looking at them for a while I think I can see depictions of Darkness shedding a tear, Sword and Shield standing opposite each other as well as some kind of sun-cycle or Yin-yang tablet.
- I've got a warrior's sword with your name on it.

- Of Course I Know Chinchirorin!
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Interesting topic! Allow me to bring it back up…

Regarding gods, I’m just wondering why the local origins of the game have been ignored so far. The concept of gods is quite unfamiliar in Japanese culture, but there is the concept of Kami. These are spirits, metaphysical beings, which can inhabit any creatures, objects or places. While people have the duty to appease them, Kami have the duty to perform the function of the object etc. it inhabits. So they can bring both relief and harm alike. They can hardly be depicted, so people make statues of the things they inhabit. Don’t expect my description to be accurate and comprehensive, because I’m even more unfamiliar to this concept than Japanese are with the concept of gods.

Murayama seems to know a lot about western mythology, so I think True Runes are a mix of both. Take the Sun Rune as example: it has some characteristics of Kami, but when Arshtat was talking after she killed Ferid, it was as if an angered Apollon was objurgating his worthless subjects.

In any case, I’m just thinking that learning about Kami could help understanding True Runes.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

We never got to know how the different races came into being, like the kobolds and elves and dwarves... Surely they must have their own religions? The elves love protecting the forest, so they must have forest deities. Perhaps the different kobold races worship some sort of animal god. The sea god mentioned in Suikoden 4 could be the father of the mermaids and all other creatures that inhabit the sea.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Yeah, I’m also curious about the emergence/creation of the different races. Unfortunately the game gives no details. But your ideas indicate a mere western perspective. Maybe there are no deities living somewhere in a forest clearance, maybe particular forests are inhabited by a spirit/soul, and will grant you passage if appeased, and mislead you if not; or in short: forest gods vs. spiritual forest. Regarding Great Forest and Lunas Forest, decide yourself which concept is more applicable. Your idea on the sea god made me think of Poseidon, as if he flattered a female god who would then give birth to creatures like mermaids.
Translating words from eastern concepts (Kami etc.) with words from western concepts (god, deity) is another source of confusion.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

When i watched 300: Rise of an Empire, they talk about Themistocles being the "son of Poseidon", and that made me think of Troy from Suikoden 4 (I don't know if the historical figure was ever regarded as the son of a god)

Ayda talks about the forest like it's her religion, I think she makes a comment about people's spirits returning to the Great Forest when Nanami dies.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

sticky-runes wrote:Ayda talks about the forest like it's her religion, I think she makes a comment about people's spirits returning to the Great Forest when Nanami dies.
This corresponds to the second verse of the song "La Passione Commuove La Storia" (lyrics by Murayama):
All the bodies (of those fallen in war), like flowers, trees, and grass, return to the warm nature.
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

Just came across this dialogue. Not to prove anything about gods but who knows. It might be intentional or... just an overlooked line.
http://i.imgur.com/mei2HaF.png

I just find it funny.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

There were a lot of "God" mentions in the first Suikoden. The event where Valeria lets herself get captured went on and on about God. Either Scarlet Moon believed in a one god, or they just mentioned multiple gods in the sequels because it sounded more fantasy-ish.

Or, as no doubt some people will be thinking, it was just a bad Engrish Tlansration.