[Guide] Affinities & damage formulas

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
Mystil

Post by Mystil »

CameoChic444 wrote:Does everyone have a Sun rating? - isn't that the main chars rune?
The Prince, Jeane and..Sialeeds have a sun rating of A A B respectivity. Everyone seems to have lower.
Rune of Punishment.
Lourde Incarnadine

Post by Lourde Incarnadine »

So, do we know the numerical impact that these affinity levels have yet, the exact bonuses or penalties associated with a Fire Magic level of B or a Thrust level of C?
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Lyon also has an A in Sun.

Not sure about the effects of affinities yet.
snowydust

Post by snowydust »

hi, where u guys find the characters' rune affinities list?
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

snowydust wrote:hi, where you guys find the characters' rune affinities list?
They appear at the stat menu.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

an affinity of S for magic may double the base damage dealt by the spell. i tested with lvl 60 characters vs the enemies in Withered Forest. however, i only tested with the lvl 4 Rage Rune spell, so if the enemies are weak vs Fire, they may have been taking extra damage (or it's even possible they are strong vs Fire and reduce the damage!)

most testing needs to be done to confirm.

high lvl enemies have very high MDEF in this game, so i recommend using large base damage spells vs weak enemies.
zqrahll

Re: Affinities

Post by zqrahll »

By the way, affinity cannot go any higher than S.

I tested this with Jeane, my Thunder Mage. Her base A in lightning will only go up once, even if you equip multiple items to boost lightning affinity.

Hope that helps.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: [Guide] Affinities

Post by KFCrispy »

i went to test the physical affinities and they seem to affect offense. i took out all the boosts for Killey and used a formation that doesn't boost ATK.. he has 519 ATK and B in Shoot affinity and kept doing criticals but i divided them accordingly and his average normal hit damage was 547 dmg. these numbers don't even use the Red Ulse's PDF which is around 25.
if the damage formula is (ATK*attackerAffinity - targetPDF) / targetAffinity and the Red Ulse has a C in Sh affinity, then the B affinity raised Killey's ATK by 10%.

V_R_M on gamefaqs also was wondering why all the musical elves had the same ATK but MiFaSo was doing "double damage" - i doubt it was double damage, but MiFaSo is the only one of the musical elves with a C in Punch affinity - the rest have D in it.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Urda w/461 ATK... Urda has an A in the Shoot affinity.
vs Red Ulse: 531, 528, 528.
Using the same formula, that would be a 20% dmg boost!

Here are characters who should have an affinity that affects their physical damage output:
A (+20% dmg?)
Ax
Byakuren? (she has A for Punch, B for the rest. she is probably Punch)
Flail
Genoh
Isato
Lance
Urda

B (+10% dmg?)
Bernadette
Ernst
Faylen
Jeane
Josephine?
Killey
Kisara
Lorelai
Lun
Miroon
Muroon
Nelis
Zerase

D (reduced dmg?)
FaSoLa
LaTiDo
ReMiFa
SoLaTi
(it's notable that MiFaSo is the only musical elf that has a C in Punch)

not sure (perhaps some tests against the Bone Soldiers would help. i think they are strong vs Slash, weak vs Punch)
Cornelio - Punch is B, Slash and Thrust are C. he's likely Punch, like Josephine...
Levi - B in Shoot, C in the rest. what does a laser beam count as...?
Sharmista - B in Shoot, C in the rest. same weapon as Sialeeds. my guess is Shoot but chakrams are not really "shooting" or even dart-like, they are more like a sword (slash).
Sialeeds - B in Shoot and Punch, C in the rest. see Sharmista
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

lol, i tried out the Poncho and Pointed Hat against the final boss--yup, a defensive Sun affinity of S nullifies the spells completely. i made Lyon's Sun defense S-ranked with 1 of those 2 items and gave her a Steel Rune to greatly reduce the physical damage. the result creates a truly broken combination. with these pieces, it lets you get as creative as you want the rest of the equipment and rune slots. because these are the only 2 Sun defense equipment in the game, only characters with a B or higher in Sun affinity can move up to S, of course. keep in mind that the physical attacks are also limited to the front rows, so you can skip the Steel Rune with the right formation/order.

Characters with natural A in Sun: Prince, Lyon
Characters with natural B in Sun: Alhazred, Bernadette, Cornelio, Eresh, Isato, Jeane, Josephine, Kisara, Kyle, Lelei, Levi, Lorelai, Nelis, Norma, Sharmista, (Sialeeds), Urda, Zerase