Mathiu Silverberg, Bad stratagist or the worst stratagist

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
JanusThePaladin

Re: Mathiu Silverberg, Bad stratagist or the worst stratagist

Post by JanusThePaladin »

According to Mathui yes. But you and your team made it thru the fortress pretty easily at the beginning of the game.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

But you and your team made it thru the fortress pretty easily at the beginning of the game.
It's different then; you flee and Ain Guide (?) just let's you through because you're the son of one of his comrades. Later on, when it goes to defending the Emperor, he even sacrifices himself. Additionally, you need an army big enough to lay siege on Gregminster...
JanusThePaladin

Really? infiltrating the castle with a group of 6 doesnt seem much like a Siege to me.... maybe i should read more war books?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

JanusThePaladin wrote:Really? infiltrating the castle with a group of 6 doesnt seem much like a Siege to me.... maybe i should read more war books?
Wasn't there a Battle at gregminster after Shasarazade? I don't quite remember, but I think there were still 20.000 SME Soldiers around the capital; sneaking in would be a problem...

EDIT: Ah, yeah, there was:
http://gensopedia.duefiumi.com/index.ph ... regminster
JanusThePaladin

But again, a battle is not a siege. A siege is to surround with your forces and lie in wait until the city's resources dry up. Given the state of Gregminster, the only people there seemed to be soldiers, not citizens, and they had a massive garden ontop of the castle. So a siege probably would not have been effective.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

JanusThePaladin wrote:But again, a battle is not a siege. A siege is to surround with your forces and lie in wait until the city's resources dry up. Given the state of Gregminster, the only people there seemed to be soldiers, not citizens, and they had a massive garden ontop of the castle. So a siege probably would not have been effective.
Sorry, English is not my mother language and Siege was the most appropriate word I could think of ;) I just wnated to say that you need a huge amount of soldiers to attack Gregminster.
JanusThePaladin

that is very true, or a great deal of magic. The question arises of how would Mathui have countered the 100,000 soldiers in the imperial army if it werent for Leknaat and Joshua's runes?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

JanusThePaladin wrote:that is very true, or a great deal of magic. The question arises of how would Mathui have countered the 100,000 soldiers in the imperial army if it werent for Leknaat and Joshua's runes?
I guess that no one could forsee that... so Mathiu would have been planless :D

That rises the question why Windy did not simply cast 30.000 monsters at Toran castle...
exo

Post by exo »

Antimatzist wrote:
JanusThePaladin wrote:that is very true, or a great deal of magic. The question arises of how would Mathui have countered the 100,000 soldiers in the imperial army if it werent for Leknaat and Joshua's runes?
I guess that no one could forsee that... so Mathiu would have been planless :D

That rises the question why Windy did not simply cast 30.000 monsters at Toran castle...
Maybe there is range limit where you can summon them...
Toran Castle is after all, in the middle of a huge lake...
And if she tries to get closer by ship, the Liberation Army could've stop her before she reaches the castle, maybe...
JanusThePaladin

Its odd that toran castle is in the middle of a lake, yet you fight Teo's soldiers on dry land....
exo

Post by exo »

@Janus:
Hmm, you're right...
The map shows that the castle is quite some ways in the middle of the lake...
But maybe the Liberation Army is just fast enough to confront Teo in land...
S1 is really technologically challenged, maybe its difficult at that era to design naval battle like in S5, maybe...
snakebite105

Post by snakebite105 »

Well if you think about the revolutionary war for example the 2 battleing factions would meet up on on a line and charge each other. It looks the same for Suikoden 1.
I'm a fan but I'm also a critic. Without preasure to improve stagnation is the future. Do not accept lackluster because of your enjoyment of the overall picture. Criticism is needed for improvement to be made.
JanusThePaladin

Strategically speaking though, there really should have been no necessity of meeting Teo on dry land. He would have had to commission several boats in order to attack lake toran, and using Snakey's fire arrows you could have simply lit the ships on fire as they approached, causing the soldiers to drown in their heavy armor. Not a very smart move Mathiu
snakebite105

Post by snakebite105 »

The cavlrey I doubt would have gone into the water since their main strength is their armored horses. I also don't think using the fire spears in any large capacity would have worked out very well on water to big of a chance of burning your boat. Only in smaller units with specific goals quickly lighting ships then getting away.

Teo's men would have been killed alot faster if they'd gone to sea.
I'm a fan but I'm also a critic. Without preasure to improve stagnation is the future. Do not accept lackluster because of your enjoyment of the overall picture. Criticism is needed for improvement to be made.
JanusThePaladin

Exactly my point! I believe the entire point of taking Toran Castle was for the easily defendable position. But if you HAVE to meet your opponent on land, you lose that advantage.