Blinking Rune Origins

Hypothesis for, and analyses of, the various locations and backstory of the Suikoden world.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Re: Blinking Rune Origins

Post by Icegryphon »

Sorry I meant first line, not first sentence. Now I don't make sense. ^_^
"You got whacked because you're weak." - Magus
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Icegryphon wrote:Sorry I meant first line, not first sentence. Now I don't make sense. ^_^
SPOILER ALERT:

At Suikoden II, another Blinking Orb can be found at Rokkaku Hamlet which you can attach with anybody.
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Jack of All Trades

Post by Jack of All Trades »

I don't think Viki has physically aged at all. I think the differences in appearance can be explained easily enough by the changing of artists and art styles. The portrait artist between 1 & 2 was different. Suikoden 3 had SD sprites and I honestly couldn't tell any difference between Viki between 4 & 5.

More importantly if you add up the total years between Suikoden 1 & 5, the difference is suprising. Suikoden 1 takes 3 years and Suikoden 4 takes 5 years. Suikoden 2, 3, and 5 all take up slightly less than a year apiece. So we can assume that Viki has seen between 7 & 8 years of Action. So, she at some point during the 5 games should be between 23 & 24 years old yet she's not.

I honestly believe in one of three theories.

1. Viki has a True Blinking Rune.
-Just because you can get Blinking Runes during various Suikoden games, it doesn't mean that Viki's isn't a true rune. Case in point, Luke has had an ordinary Wind Rune during the 1st and 2nd game even though he's supposedly had the True Rune since his "birth".

2. We aren't seeing a single Viki so much as we are seeing a series of Paradox Duplicates of Viki or Viki's from Parallel Dimensions.
-This is a flawed theory as Viki has a recollection of the various banquets she's missed.

3. Viki is from another Dimension where and is immortal like Yuber.
-This is a questionable theory, as Richmond says that Viki's from Waffle, which sounds more like a sneeze or one of those banquet foods she's missed out on many times in the past.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

A few flaws and such in your theories.

First of all, it's 7-8 years total for each game...but Viki wasn't in each game from beginning to end, so technically it's less, and how much less I doubt anyone could ever know. But still I'd say a few years that she hasn't aged.

I'll one up on you on case 1 since people could argue that the game designers hadn't decided to give Luc the true wind rune in suikodens 1 and 2. Geddoe only uses the spells from a normal lightning rune in the beginning of Suiko3, even though he has access to the true lightning rune the entire game.

Finally, Yuber is immortal because he has a true rune.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

Icegryphon wrote:A few flaws and such in your theories.

First of all, it's 7-8 years total for each game...but Viki wasn't in each game from beginning to end, so technically it's less, and how much less I doubt anyone could ever know. But still I'd say a few years that she hasn't aged.

I'll one up on you on case 1 since people could argue that the game designers hadn't decided to give Luc the true wind rune in suikodens 1 and 2. Geddoe only uses the spells from a normal lightning rune in the beginning of Suiko3, even though he has access to the true lightning rune the entire game.

Finally, Yuber is immortal because he has a true rune.
Your first point is valid and should be discussed

However, no one will argue that Luc wasnt going to have the True Wind Rune from the beginning, because he talks about it in Suikoden 1 when he is first introduced, and also mentions it in Suikoden 2 when he faces off against Sasarai outside of the headquarters. However Geddoe using the spells from just a normal lightning rune is a viable point and again should be discussed.

However, your statement about Yuber is invalid. Yuber is from the same dimension as Yohn, whom supposedly doesnt age. Pesmerga, who hunts Yuber has not been seen to age. And finally there is no official word on whether or not Yuber's agelessness has to stem from his True Rune, much like Sierra and Neclord.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Where did you know Yuber's from Yohn's world?
Yohn is from the World of Emptiness.

Yuber has a True Rune.. which obviously results to 'agelessness'.
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Kranach

Post by Kranach »

the blinking rune is a unique rune, the theory that viki has a true rune doesn't mean that the blinking rune is a true rune. the perfect example would be luc!!! in suikoden 1 there is only 1 rune slot and luc can be customized. suikoden 2 the introduction of 3 runes where luc can equip up to 3 runes. suikoden 3 the introduction of the elemental true runes where luc is the bearer of the true wind rune. the true wind rune was mentioned in suikoden 1 and 2 but we never really saw it. the true wind rune is a rh rune. but in suikoden 2 luc's rh is customizable. so the blinking rune might be permanently attached to viki's rh but we never know if there is a another rune hiding in there.

"Well, I'll never know until I try".
- suikoden tierkreis
Suikoden I - Fuma/Kage/Kasumi
Suikoden II - Mondo/sasuke/Kasumi
Suikoden III - Landis/Watari/Ayame
Suikoden IV - Akaghi/Mizuki/Kate
Suikoden V - Shigure/Sagiri/Raven
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

I know nothing about Yohn or the world she comes from (only played a few hours of Rhapsodia) but what i can say is that Yuber DOES have a true rune and no matter about anything else, he IS immortal because of that true rune. If he was immortal before he got the true rune, fine, but true runes do give immortality and he has one.

And I just played Suiko1 and Suiko2 and I don't remember Luc once saying anything about having a true rune. So I think you're remembering incorrectly (I played both less than a month ago) unless i'm totally spacing.
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

Your first point is valid and should be discussed
I shall oblige and discuss.

It doesn't matter how many years S1 took place because we don't know how old she was in S1 because there is no detective to tell us (-3 years). She's 16 in Suikoden 2, so that's our starting point. As Jack pointed out, S2 takes no more than a year, so she could possibly be 17 at the end of S2. However, she enters about halfway through the war, so she may be less than 17. In S3 she joins in chapter 4. The game doesn't last a whole lot longer after that, so I'd guess that she's not around for more than 6 months. Just a guess, but I think a pretty good one. This means that she's 17 at the end of S3 as she teleports to the Island Nations. Obel falls to Kooluk in 304 and that's the first time you can recruit Viki. The Punishment Rune War is over in 307, so Viki would be 20 when she teleports to Falena. We don't know how long she was in Falena, but probably not much more than a year, which would make her 21.

Now in my opinion, it wouldn't be far-fetched for a 21 year old to look almost the same as when they were 16 years old. I also just checked out my old file of S5. Unlike S2 which has 4 investigations, the first one being age and basic info, S5 does not have the first investigation that tells you how old the character is at that point.

In review:
S1 doesn't tell us how old she is.
S2 tells us she's 16
S3 may tell us how old she is (I'm not playing it right now, but I couldn't find an age listing on any FAQs for Kidd's investigations), but it doesn't really matter, because she could still be 16.
S4 doesn't have investigations, so it doesn't tell us how old she is
S5 doesn't tell us how old she is

Bottom line, she could be aging, and no one in the games has commented on it. If she has aged, we're only talking about 5 years. Not that much difference in young adults over a five year period.
Kranach

Post by Kranach »

@Icegryphon have you checked duefiumi.com? luc always says my wind rune in suikoden 1 which was a mistranslation which by this time you should be aware that there a lot of mistranslation and inconsistency in the translations. what luc was actually saying would be my true wind rune. and wow you played suikoden 2 recently? i guess you were lucky in that major war battle against luca caused that is were luc will suddenly appear and use his true wind rune to damage everyone on the screen.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

I don't recall Luc coming in and damaging everyone with his wind rune. When is this?
Kranach

Post by Kranach »

it was when luca would damage everyone. if you are unable to damage luca in that battle(not sure, maybe as long as the battle takes for a while?) luc will appear and use his true wind rune. luc was never in your army in that battle, this also marks sasarai's first appearance.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

You're mixing up the battles. Sasarai was in the battle where Ridley was surrounded and you couldn't get to him. Sasarai was NOT in the battle where you draw Luca in with Kiba, surround him and kick his butt. However, Luc WAS in that battle, and I WAS able to wound Luca, then he teleports away and hurts all your guys. And I never saw Luc do any true wind rune stuff to hurt all the enemies.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Icegryphon wrote:You're mixing up the battles. Sasarai was in the battle where Ridley was surrounded and you couldn't get to him. Sasarai was NOT in the battle where you draw Luca in with Kiba, surround him and kick his butt. However, Luc WAS in that battle, and I WAS able to wound Luca, then he teleports away and hurts all your guys. And I never saw Luc do any true wind rune stuff to hurt all the enemies.
It's the other battle with Sasarai in, the one after the Ridley ambush. He fucks the Harmonians' sh;t up with it by summoning loads of tornadoes.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

I did not know we were able to say the word "fucks" on this site!

Learn something new everyday. Anyway, just posting a useless post to point out that we're off topic :D