Blinking Rune Origins

Hypothesis for, and analyses of, the various locations and backstory of the Suikoden world.
Iesous

Blinking Rune Origins

Post by Iesous »

My theory is that the Blinking rune comes from the Gate Rune. I searched around and found a thread talking about the Resurrection rune's origins. Some said that the Blinking rune doesn't have a mother rune. I would say that we don't know for sure one way or the other if it has a mother rune.

Appearance
If you look at the blinking and True Gate runes, you can see a resemblance. They're not the same color, but the Dawn and Twilight runes are not the same color as each other or the Sun Rune. Also, the lightning rune that is pictured on Gensopedia and here at Suikosource is more of a neon green than the true green of the True Lightning Rune. And the Shield and Sword runes are opposite colors.

Function
In Suiko1 Wendy, who has the front half, is always summoning monsters. Leknaat is always teleporting monsters away. I could be wrong, but I thought that the two operated this way because that was the way the front and back halves worked. The front primarily (if not exclusively) brought beings from the world of emptiness, while the back sent them back. If this is not the case, then I'd like to know what difference there is between the front and the back.

Now, the Pale Gate rune always summons monsters. The Blinking rune on the other hand, teleports enemies (or allies) away. I think that both came from the united Gate rune, but that they represent the respective halves. (This also probably requires a theory concerning runes that show up in the games as halves [Gate, Beginning, perhaps Sun/Night]. For instance: While ?all? True Runes have a dual nature, only a few have inherently two halves that could potentially be split.)
JanusThePaladin

Re: Blinking Rune Origins

Post by JanusThePaladin »

i like it. it does make sense. However i'm not sure if the color variance is an important feature. I'm realatively sure that the color differences between the True Elements and their respective child runes has more to do with the capabilities of the original playstation games versus the first PS2 game.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Very good theory. The Blinking Rune might summon 'gates' instead of a simple teleportation. Young Viki from S3 could be a result of the Blinking Rune teleporting Viki to a part of the Empty World, the world where the monsters of the Gate Runes are summoned. EW is a mystery so maybe it does something about time traveling.

Leknaat must know about this and she should know something about Viki. Maybe she is the reason why Viki is gone after a war? Or maybe SHE is Viki..?? The plot thickens. :?: :?: (OT!)
JanusThePaladin wrote:I'm realatively sure that the color differences between the True Elements and their respective child runes has more to do with the capabilities of the original playstation games versus the first PS2 game.
But the colors are back at SV? Maybe it's just the artists' ideas of what color do they think will the symbols fit best.
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

Would make sense...when the gate rune was broken in half the blinking rune could have been made, like the twilight, star and dawn runes from when the night and sun rune were severed.
"You got whacked because you're weak." - Magus
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Hey how about the Blinking Rune being related to the Gateway?

Or maybe the Gateway to the Gate Rune to the,well, Blinking Rune?

The problem is that they're form different worlds.

But still the Blinking Rune seem to be like the gateway of the true Suikoworld..
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

Icegryphon wrote:Would make sense...when the gate rune was broken in half the blinking rune could have been made, like the twilight, star and dawn runes from when the night and sun rune were severed.
However, there are more than just one blinking rune, whereas there's only one of each of the Dawn, Twilight and star runes. I'm talking about it being more along the lines of the regular and elevated elemental runes, but more common. So I guess I'm talking about it being a lot more like the darkness, condemnation, pale gate and shield runes where they are much harder to come by, but they still aren't unique.
Runemaster wrote:Hey how about the Blinking Rune being related to the Gateway?

Or maybe the Gateway to the Gate Rune to the,well, Blinking Rune?

The problem is that they're form different worlds.

But still the Blinking Rune seem to be like the gateway of the true Suikoworld..
I assume that you're talking about Tierkreis. I haven't played it so, I don't really know. From what I've heard, though, magic between TK and the main world are almost completely unrelated.
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

Runemaster is using his/her (not sure lol) head. The Gate Rune being related with the gateways to Tierkreis now that would be an awesome way to bridge the games if they wanted to. I personaly would like the series split in two, continue on with S6 and let Tierkreis II be the sequal to the original. Thats definitly a great thought though I didnt even think of it till now.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Belcoot4 wrote:Runemaster is using his/her (not sure lol) head.
I'm a guy!! haha. Wow so you liked the idea, eh?

Another thing, if we'll take it that the Gate Rune is the Gateway of that world... (?)
The Gateway transports a creature to another Gateway of the same world or another world.
Seems like what Blinking and Gate would normally do.. so I guess those 2 are related in some sense.
Jack of All Trades

Post by Jack of All Trades »

I'd like to think that the blinking rune is part of the gate rune familly but I don't think it is and here is why. Viki's whole thing is the Blinking rune and she doesn't age. Most people don't think about the fact that she doesn't age because she time travels, but I think its important to note that in Suikoden 1 & 4 multiple years go by and her age is always listed as 16. I'm 95% certain that Viki has a True Rune.

I believe that Viki either has a True form of the Blinking Rune. It would be interesting if she was a younger version of Leknaat.
JanusThePaladin

The general theory on Viki's agelessness is that she travels from game to game instantly, both forward and backward through time. So She was in 1 first, then sneezed and appeared in 2 right after the end of one, another sneeze at the end of 2 brings her to the mountains in 3, a sneeze after Luc's death makes her appear in Suikoden 4, and a sneeze at the destruction of El-Eel makes her appear 100+ years later in 5. So to her time is not changing, and thus she does not age.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

You didn't read what Jack said. Each game spans years, yet she doesn't age. She either has a True Rune, isn't human, or...something else that makes her ageless.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

That couldn't be. A True Rune found at her and at Rokkaku Hamlet? That's 2 identical True Runes then.

She's simply being herself-- an idiot. She can vaguely remember what happened at the past years that she happens to forget the "years" itself.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

Sorry that made no sense...the first sentence of that post Rune.
JanusThePaladin

JanusThePaladin wrote:The general theory on Viki's agelessness is that she travels from game to game instantly, both forward and backward through time. So She was in 1 first, then sneezed and appeared in 2 right after the end of one, another sneeze at the end of 2 brings her to the mountains in 3, a sneeze after Luc's death makes her appear in Suikoden 4, and a sneeze at the destruction of El-Eel makes her appear 100+ years later in 5. So to her time is not changing, and thus she does not age.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Icegryphon wrote:Sorry that made no sense...the first sentence of that post Rune.
That couldn't be.
That one?

Janus is correct about this. You can't compute the years of her life if she keeps on traveling through time, years even. Our only indication of her "age" is her physical appearance, which many have agreed about her images' maturity through the games. Mentally not though. :lol: