Hugo's Father

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
Jack of All Trades

Re: Hugo's Father

Post by Jack of All Trades »

Icegryphon wrote:Definitely not Luca...as Lucia didn't show up in Highland until King Jowy gave them a chance.

Definitely not Viktor...don't we have theories about him and Anabelle being Edge's parents?

Badeaux? I really doubt some random stupid character that does absolutely nothing for the story is his father.

Hans? I guess it's possible but there's not a shred of proof. The only thing supporting this is that he happened to be in the same place at the same time as Lucia...and then died right after.

Georg? Same as Hans, they happened to be around the same place at the same time, but I really don't see that being probable at all.

I'd say the best choices are Beechum or Jimba or possibly Jowy. She definitely dug on Jowy a lot and was around him, and when you kill her in an army battle she says something like "Beechum, I'm sorry..." and when you die I'm sure your love is who comes to your mind. And the reason Jimba is possible is because he looks like a lighter version of Hugo...even wears his sword the same (although this could just be that he taught Hugo combat for whatever reason...or cause he's the father).
So outside of Iceygryphon here it looks like most of you are factoring the 7 known variables of Hugo's Father. We know these variables are accurate because they are stated in game, or by the developers who've made the game.

Here they are again as presented by Abyss:

1. He's Older than Lucia.

2. He has black hair.
-Beechum and Jimba do not quallify.

3. He's Strong.
-I'd like to rule people but Lucia's meaning of the word "strong" could be figurative.

4. He's Kind.
-This rules Luca out.

5. He's Honorable.
-Luca's out even more.

6. He was in Dunan during the Unification War.
-this is almost a non point since we can't really prove that anybody wasn't in Dunan, just because we could not see them doesn't mean they are not there.

7. He is somebody we've seen before.

These 7 variables rule out almost everybody except for Han Cunningham, Viktor, Georg Prime, Badeaux, and Shin.
Lets examine each of these 5 characters in detail.

1. Han Cunningham: the only argument that we have seen against Han was by myself and it was because of his age. However, this is a non argument as many Women are attracted to older powerful men of status. I don't care if you ARE twenty years old, Han Cunningham is like catching Bruce Willis. As it stands Han is the most likely cantidate.

2. Viktor: Lets pretend Edge is his bastard child. Does that men that Viktor has lost interest in other women, does that make his seed less potent? Come on, there are tons of guys with multiple kids out there. Also, can you not see Vitkor taking a break from his grief over Annabelle in the throws of a young lover? Finally, read that speculation, its basically executor of balance is the only person who honestly believes that it's possible. The only Criteria that Viktor does not meet is that he IS a kind man, instead of WAS a kind man. Some say that this implies that Hugo's Pops is no longer among the living and while that may be true, WAS a kind man could simply mean that Viktor WAS a kind man to her that one night in the jail cell before she took his jail cell keys from him and escaped.

3. Georg Prime: There is no reason Georg cannot be Hugo's father. He meets every single criteria perfectly. However, there are some great speculative criteria that I mentioned earlier that make him less likely than Viktor and Han.

4. Badeaux: Same as Georg, I can't really say he's not but I can prove that he is less likely then the above three.

5. Shin: Shin's circumstances are teh same as the two men above him in the list except that he is very much in love with Theresa, who unlike Viktor's love Annabelle is still breathing. Making him less likely to have gotten it on with her but not by much.

6. Tir McDohl: Same as teh above but he is more likely then the above three cantidates.

There are a few speculative criteria that don't rule out any of the characters but increase a few characters probability of being Hugo's Father.

1. True Rune compatiblity is genetic. This isn't entirely proven but we can see that Hikusaak's genes are capable of bearing a number of True Runes. Also, the Falenan Royal family's retention of the Sun Rune, Chis being able to bear Jimba's True Flowing Rune all go a long way to proving this theory. If Hugo is able to bare a true rune then his father is likely to be able to as well.
-This puts both Han, Tir, and to a lesser extent Viktor (who doesn't actually bear the Night Rune) miles ahead of the other three cantidates.

2. Looks are genetic. Hugo is a giant kid with wild hair and dark skin. I've heard that Viktor is a giant man with dark skin and wild hair. If Viktor is a bear then Hugo is a bear cub.
-Viktor's probability shoots up here. Shin's skin moves him up a bit.

3. Personality is genetic. There is much debate about cell memory, and behavioral disorders out there that seem to indicate that certain personality traits are genetic as well. In many works of fiction this is definitely the case. Suikoden is no exception. Hugo tends to be aggressive, rash, naive.
Jack of All Trades

So, when factoring genetic evidence into the 7 known paternity criterion I would rank the Hugo's list of potential Father's like so:

1. Han Cunningham
2. Viktor
3. Georg Prime
4. Tir McDohl
5. Badeaux
6. Shin

In my opinion Han Cunningham is the most likely Father of Hugo followed veryclosely by Viktor. Han Cunningham meets the 7 known criteria flawlessly, he's actually born a true rune, and he's had more then one night in a jail cell with Lucia. Viktor is a close second because Hugo both looks and acts quite a bit like him, and he's the wielder of the Night Rune.

Georg is next in line because he meets all 7 criterion and like Hugo tends to lean toward aggression. I ranked Tir in forth place only because of his Soul Eater. However, I reluctantly did so. I don't believe that Tir would jeopardize the life of a young girl like Lucia. The Soul Eater is too dangerous for that. Badeaux is next, because he technically meets the 7 known criteria but he really has very little else going for him. He doesn't look like Hugo, he doesn't have much of a personality, and finally he's not very attractive making him less likely to be the guy who nails Lucia. Close behind him in last place is Shin I gave Shin points for his skin tone but I took points for being in love with Theresa. He also seemed less likely because he serves Theresa Wisemail, the enemy of Lucia.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

Haha I didn't factor those in because I didn't read the whole thread. ^_^
"You got whacked because you're weak." - Magus
Jack of All Trades

So, now that you know the details Icygryphon, who do you think is Hugo's father.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

I'm definitely against it being Viktor since he was in love with Annabelle and when did he have the opportunity as opposed to doing her in her prison cell? Same with basically anyone who's part of the Dunan Liberation Army.

I personally figure it's gotta be someone from Highland. I'd say Han is the most likely candidate.

However, I'm still curious why when she dies in an army battle she says she's sorry to Beechum.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

He's a loyal soldier, she probably feels like she's letting him down by dying on him lol.
Jack of All Trades

We can only speculate as to the nature of Lucia and Beechum's relationship. It's possible that they are like brother and sister, ex-lovers, current lovers. Although it matters not if they are or were lovers, because she still did the dead with a tall dark stranger.

I love that this thread came back from the dead. I really wanted to push my genetic true rune compatibility theory. Like I said before it makes sense that Han fathered Hugo, but you cannot deny that Hugo looks and acts like he could be Viktor's son. I seriously doubt that the developers were after this idea though. There is so much circumstantial evidence that probably came to be out of coincidence. Still though, if anybody could sneak into her cell in the middle of the night with a bottle of wine and a compassionate ear. It's my man Viktor.

Han is Hugo's father.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

how do you figure that Hugo acts like Viktor? They act very little alike imo.

And i think that your personality is based more off nurture than nature.
Jack of All Trades

Icegryphon wrote:how do you figure that Hugo acts like Viktor? They act very little alike imo.

And i think that your personality is based more off nurture than nature.
Ah, nature vs. nurture eh. I'm not going to really get into an unsolvable argument but I've taken enough psych classes to know that the are arguments for and against both nature and nurture. The majority of the psychological community believes that one's personality is determined by both nature and nurture.

How does Hugo act like Viktor? It's been awhile since I thought about this. Hugo is impatient and impetuous. Think back to when Neclord shows up in the Warrior's Village. Viktor gets angry and rushes into battle against Viktor. If I remember correctly he does this elsewhere too. Think back to how many times Hugo rushes into battle. Against Chris and Yuber for sure. I know Viktor is big on interrupting people to get the conversation over faster, I'm pretty sure Hugo is too.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

Yeah but that's like every single Karayan. Aila does the exact same stuff...and Viktor's not her father.
Jack of All Trades

Icygryphon, you need to go back to the 13th page of this thread. It's where I talk about my theory that Viktor and Viki traveled back to the year SY 9 and spawned not only the entire Karayan Race but actually became his own Grandpa in the process (doing the nasty in the pasty)

Seriously though, I was really arguing Viktor as Hugo's father as a point of contention against Han. I just really like Viktor. I honestly don't believe for a second that he could be Hugo's Father, but you can't tell me that I didn't make a convincing argument.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

To someone with no arguing skills or logical sense maybe. ^_~ An amusing argument yes.
Rezard

Post by Rezard »

Some pages back in this topic, I gave my opinion on who would be the best character to be Hugo's father.
I think the best character to be Hugo's father is Solon Jhee.

Lets see:
1. He's Older than Lucia.
ok
2. He has black hair.
His hair is the combination of various colors, but mostly black.
3. He's Strong.
ok
4. He's Kind.
We never found out in the game, but it could be.
5. He's Honorable.
When he is to be executed, he says he wishes a honourable death on the battlefield.
6. He was in Dunan during the Unification War.
ok
7. He is somebody we've seen before.
ok

The only problem is that he was supossedely executed, but if you pay atention to his "death scene", we actualy never see him die. The possibility that he escaped is real, even more so if you consider that Seed and Culgan where pissed at Lucca for executing his comrade and could have helped him. In games in general, if you dont see a character corpse, you cant rule out the possibility that they are still alive.

I think it would be best if his father was of some importance to the story and I think Solon would.
PrairieDuck

Post by PrairieDuck »

The man who fathered Hugo is none other than Shu,the strategist in Suikoden II.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

You're gonna have to back up that thesis with some evidence bud.