Meaning of Stars & Titles (formerly: A couple of questions)

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Meaning of Stars & Titles (formerly: A couple of questions)

Post by Icegryphon »

So I'm playing S3 for the first time since it came out and I'm LOVING it.

But i have a couple of questions.

The first is...when you finish a battle and it shows exp, skill points and potch gained, it shows your characters' portraits and there are stars under their faces. The number of stars changes from battle to battle. Anyone know what these stars signify?

Second question is when you go to someone's status screen at the top right there is a word in parentheses. For instance, Cecile has (Guard) and Thomas has (Slasher). I think this is the character's tendency in battle but I'm not sure.

I'm not one for checking out walkthroughs on a first play through. Even though I've beaten S3 before, I almost consider this a first play through since it's been so long. However, the actual game mechanics I like to know, so I'll probably continue asking questions here on things like that. But for now, just the two questions.

EDIT: Subject changed
Celes
"You got whacked because you're weak." - Magus
Belcoot4

Re: A couple of questions (might become more)

Post by Belcoot4 »

Well you're in luck I have answers to both of your questions. The stars under each characters portrait that appear after the battle are the number of enemies they killed that round. In the beginning, well in Hugo's chapter1, you'll see that either Hugo or Fubar or the mounted pair of them get most of the stars. I'm really not sure if more the kills the more the exp. you might have to ask somebody on here who deals with a lot of stats. The words in parentheses are titles for your characters and later on in the game you'll be able to customize them, its nothing really big, but I dont want to say anymore without spoiling it for you.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

BTW how are you liking it so far? I've beaten S3 five times and pretty much did everything there is to do so if you have any further questions let me know I'd love to help you out. Its probaly my favorite game out of the series and I know everyone is critical of it because it was the first 3D suikoden and it was the first of a new counsel, but the story is unbelievable and the ending actually lived up to the rest of the game unlike some of the others (SV,SIV, or Tierkreis)
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

Yeah I loved it when I played it the first time. But I hadn't played it in forever and a lot of people kept saying how it was disappointing.

But playing it again and being reminded of it, I'd have to say it's probably my favorite of the series too.
"You got whacked because you're weak." - Magus
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

The stars and therefor the number of kills are just for statistics and serve no gameplay change.

The ranks are based mainly on the characters abilities and skills. Some titles can be given by a certain Star of Destiny as well, and 4 of these will actually give some bonuses.