Re: So, has Tierkreis been a success or not?

Suikoden Tierkreis pre-release board.
suikodian

Post by suikodian »

Rezard wrote: I dont understand japanese, so I would like to ask: What are those "development costs"? Does that include only the costs from the productive departament? Or the costs from the entire company (accounting, investor's share)? Or total costs (taxes, distribuiontion costs, sales commission, etc)?
I don't understand Japanese either. Gaming companies usually do not release any information related to the cost of their games. However, the source explicitly says that it is the development cost.
Rezard wrote: I seriously doubt that a mid popularity game, let alone any legal activity, would be that profitable. I think there are other costs. If I use your data, income = $7.2 millions, cost = $530,000, there would be more than 1000% profit in 2 years. That's impossible, there must be something we are missing.
That is because it is DS. Developing for the DS is extremely cheap. On the other hand, the cost of PS3 games can go up to $30 millions easily. I remember Kojima saying that MGS4 has to sell at least one million copies day one to cover its cost.
Iku

Post by Iku »

i'm sorry brax but its silly to just put our fingers in our ears and pretend not to hear the facts, s5 was pretty much what we all wanted, but it sold bad, s4 wasnt exactly our favourite to say the least but it sold the best. How do you think a company, that is there to make money, is gonna see that. Then if tierkries with its 4 person party and detached world (kinda like 4) sells well, a company is gonna reproduce more of what did well. Which isnt what we want but if thats what sells. Im sure the company wants loyal fans but if its a choice between loyal fans and more sales im pretty sure they'll choose the sales.
Sorry about putting a downer on this, but to be honest i havent even played tierkries yet, it may be my favourite game yet, i doubt it but ya know!
And brax to ban me for expressing an oppinion that isnt pro suikoden is rather stupid
'Believed the evidence of your own eyes, did ya? In a place like this?' Granny Weatherwax
Iku

Post by Iku »

i'm sorry brax but its silly to just put our fingers in our ears and pretend not to hear the facts, s5 was pretty much what we all wanted, but it sold bad, s4 wasnt exactly our favourite to say the least but it sold the best. How do you think a company, that is there to make money, is gonna see that. Then if tierkries with its 4 person party and detached world (kinda like 4) sells well, a company is gonna reproduce more of what did well. Which isnt what we want but if thats what sells. Im sure the company wants loyal fans but if its a choice between loyal fans and more sales im pretty sure they'll choose the sales.
Sorry about putting a downer on this, but to be honest i havent even played tierkries yet, it may be my favourite game yet, i doubt it but ya know!
And brax to ban me for expressing an oppinion that isnt pro suikoden is rather stupid
'Believed the evidence of your own eyes, did ya? In a place like this?' Granny Weatherwax
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Iku wrote:i'm sorry brax but its silly to just put our fingers in our ears and pretend not to hear the facts, s5 was pretty much what we all wanted, but it sold bad, s4 wasnt exactly our favourite to say the least but it sold the best. How do you think a company, that is there to make money, is gonna see that.
I disagree with that reasoning. I think negative reaction to Suikoden IV is what caused Suikoden V's low sales. A significant amount of people simply 'gave up' on the series after IV. So I think if they had skipped IV and went straight from III to V, V would have sold a lot more.

Its arguable whether or not they can make up for IV's negative impact, sales-wise, without reaching out to new fans to replace the lost ones. That (along with other reasons) could easily be a reason for Tierkreis' changes.
Braxiatel
Banned User

Post by Braxiatel »

Iku wrote:i'm sorry brax but its silly to just put our fingers in our ears and pretend not to hear the facts, s5 was pretty much what we all wanted, but it sold bad, s4 wasnt exactly our favourite to say the least but it sold the best. How do you think a company, that is there to make money, is gonna see that. Then if tierkries with its 4 person party and detached world (kinda like 4) sells well, a company is gonna reproduce more of what did well. Which isnt what we want but if thats what sells. Im sure the company wants loyal fans but if its a choice between loyal fans and more sales im pretty sure they'll choose the sales.
There's tons of terrible stuff that sells well. That doesn't mean it should be made in the first place.

You're excusing mediocrity.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

Allowing your continued existence excuses mediocrity.

Anyway, the question here is has STK been a success or not. The answer seems to be that it depends on the context. Obviously when compared to other Suikoden spin offs, it has been successful. But as a mainstream game, or even in its own right, it has yet to come up to par.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Are there any new numbers on how much it sold?
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

JanusThePaladin wrote:Allowing your continued existence excuses mediocrity.

Anyway, the question here is has STK been a success or not. The answer seems to be that it depends on the context. Obviously when compared to other Suikoden spin offs, it has been successful. But as a mainstream game, or even in its own right, it has yet to come up to par.
But it IS a spin-off. Isn't it unfair to compare it to the mainstream titles?
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

That depends on how you want to look at it. If you're looking at it as the Savior of the Series, then no, you cant give it an exception as spin off title. I personally dont see it that way, though others have been quoted to say something similar. I see it as just another spin off, and in my opinion its been successful.
Rezard

Post by Rezard »

Antimatzist wrote:Are there any new numbers on how much it sold?
The sales have been falling at a slower pace compared to SV:
Week 1 - 63,710
Week 2 - 27,158
Week 3 - 20,529
Week 4 - 8,697
Week 5 - 7,651
Week 6 - 6,325
Week 7 - 5,107
Total - 139,177

Source: http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=30121
Braxiatel
Banned User

Post by Braxiatel »

If you can't make an argument without making a personal attack, just shut up.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Braxiatel wrote:
If you can't post in a thread without resurrecting an old arguement that has since been moved on from, just shut up.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Braxiatel wrote:
I don't think the "you" refers to you (Brax) but is referred generally to the games/ Suikoden.

But anyway, like Lemmy said, let's move on. :D
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Braxiatel
Banned User

Post by Braxiatel »

Lemmy Claypool wrote:
Braxiatel wrote:
If you can't post in a thread without resurrecting an old arguement that has since been moved on from, just shut up.
Try following your own board rules mod.

I thought personal attacks weren't allowed.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Damn, just be quiet, everyone, this is getting enerving.

@Topic: It's getting out here in about a month and I'm quite looking forward to it. In its Previews, it gets quite good grades (even betetr ons than Dragon Quest Oo), so I hope it will succeed here.