Vandal Hearts

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Masamune.

Vandal Hearts

Post by Masamune. »

Vandal Hearts - An SRPG released by Konami around the time of Suikoden 1, it has since developed a cult following for its charming gameplay and characters. As an early Playstation game, the graphics are nothing to write home about, but players of this game can't forget the famous geyser of a blood whenever you kill an enemy. :)

Anyone else played it?
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Re: Vandal Hearts

Post by Oppenheimer »

There was bit of discussion about how it relates to Suikoden here, if you're interested:

http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =22&t=9771
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Short of the relation to Suikoden, Vandal Hearts was a pretty fun game. Vandal Hearts 2 was also pretty innovative, with both enemies and allies moving at the same time.

It's too bad they canceled Vandal Hearts DS. It could have helped find new interest in the series or advanced the storyline from the special ending of VH2.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Masamune.

Post by Masamune. »

My favourite part of the game is the class customization. Basically each character begins as one of four classes (sword, bow, healer, or mage). After levelling up, a swordsman can either become a swordmaster or a guardsman (walking tank with axe), a bowman can become an archer or a hawk-knight (rocket propelled lancer), and healers/mages can either become more powerful medics/sorcerers or choose to become a monk (blending magic with attack). There's no turning back, and each transformation provides a snazzy new outfit and weapon.

VH2 wasn't a baad game, but it did take everything good about the original and screw it up. For one, there were no longer character classes. Anyone can be a knight just by giving them a sword, likewise a magician with a staff. The story was convoluted, and the character portraits were UGLY. And lastly, the gameplay became nothing but second-guessing. In the original VH, you move your unit over one turn then the enemy moves his. In VH2 you move characters at the SAME TIME. Which means you'll have characters stupidly swatting the air at times because the CPU moved his unit simultaneously.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I liked the first VH a lot, but the second.. i don't know, the portraits are really ugly and a class system would have made it a lot better. I've played it only to the second chapter or so...

Oh, and the Vandalier is a uber-class. It makes the game ridiculously easy^^
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

I love each of the Vandal Hearts games, but I think I am gonna sway towards II being my favourite. I found the storyline more intriguing, the gameplay more challenging, and as there is sooooooo much to do in that game, it gives you a real sense of satisfaction when you complete it. Seriously, last time I played it I think it took a good four months or something to get everything done.
Masamune.

Post by Masamune. »

I thought VH2 was too long. The game has multiple endings and it's a slog just to unlock each one. The characters were pretty forgettable too, compared to the original.

It's a shame the DS version has been binned. I guess we'll never know whether it was a port, remake, or a new game altogether.
Fu Su Lu

Post by Fu Su Lu »

My favourite part of the game is the class customization
Yep, I found it quite interesting when I played it for the first time...oh my god...like 10 or 12 years ago :lol:
Anyway, Masamune, if you liked the class customization you should try another psone classic: Final Fantasy Tactics (in case you havent played it yet :wink: )
Masamune.

Post by Masamune. »

Who hasn't heard of FF Tactics? :P I've always wanted to play it, but it was never released in Europe and I don't want a PSP.
Laharle

Post by Laharle »

iono bout u guys but VH2 has my vote for the 2nd best story RPG ever.1st is Xenogears( i can understand y the item customization make the game kinda dull or w/e but its bareable for me)

and i love the strategy of 1 ally and 1 enemy move at the same time, makes me think of which opponent goes where and whose gonna attack first.
Masamune.

Post by Masamune. »

Laharle wrote:iono bout u guys but VH2 has my vote for the 2nd best story RPG ever.1st is Xenogears( i can understand y the item customization make the game kinda dull or w/e but its bareable for me).
VH2's story is a poor man's FFT.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Nah, it has its own good points compared to FFT.

Besides, FFT is the newbie's Tactics Ogre.
Formerly known as: Gothann
avenger

Post by avenger »

i love the first game i played it a lot. i didn't care for the second one thou. you know the first game had some musical scores sounding familier to suikoden. guah ha ha.. i don't know if you guys caught that but i sure did. anyhow i enjoyed all of the charecters. and the game play itself.

i hear ps3 is gonna get a vandal hearts..
Matthew McDohl

Post by Matthew McDohl »

About 2 years ago, I saw both VH1 and VH2 sitting in a video game store, so I picked them both up for about $45.

I havent played them at all yet. I will have to get down to business from everyone is saying.
MAD 01-08-2004